Bangkok: Policeman Killed, 7 Policemen, 2 Civilians Injured In Double Attacks

webfact

Occam's Razor: the most obvious/simplest explanation is probably the one that's true.

It's easy to run all over the countryside looking for wild explanations. The Yellows have a history of relatively peaceful protests, and it's bizarre to think the Yellows would have cold-blooded cop killers in their ranks. Plus, the Yellows don't have problems with cops.

On the other hand, look at what the Reds have been doing, who they've been harboring, their propensity for violence, and the most likely culprit for the dastardly deaths and injuries is right in front of your face.

So the yellow that ran over the policeman in his pick up truck, the yellow that stabbed a policeman while they tried to storm parliament, do you want me to go on?

[\quote] You'll notice, I used the adjective 'relatively peaceful' when describing the Yellow's protests. The Yellows carried out sustained protests. There were some isolated violent events, mostly caused by outsiders (Reds?) attacking the Yellows. In contrast, the when the Reds protest, it's guaranteed there will be lots of violence.

....no doubt the same with the grenades fired from the park that now are proven to be fired from the hospital etc. Some people never learn.
The latest evidence indicates the deadly grenade of April 22 was fired from the Red enclave at the park.

"Most police posted at the park and on Silom Road are now armed with batons and shields, and it is now expected that they will be armed and carry weapons while on duty." (From newspaper report)

I apologize for casting aspersions at the cops - for not firing back at murderous punks this morning. I had assumed the cops were armed with more than batons. It appears that later today - the order went out for cops to be armed with loaded guns.

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There won't be any peace unless Thaksin thinks he is getting what he wants.

Would it be that difficult to send some special trained guys to end this guy's life now?

Speculation, but maybe that's why he moves around so much and has so many passports.

there is another point of view on the re-enforcement of Ratchaprasong: taking into account the Government difficulties, Red Shirts have to reinforce their strenght to impose the Roadmap, on contrary of some opinions, this can help the Government against Yellow and multicolored movements.

:) hmmm

why do people automatically assume this is the reds, lets not forget the yellows don't want to go down abhisits 'road' so it is possible they are trying to destabilise the situation, as abhisit said the roadmap will only continue is there is no violence etc leaving the door open for people (including people in his own party) to try and derail it.

why do people automatically assume this is the reds

Because they are an extremist group hel_l bent on violence...

Enough Said time for action ! Red thug terrorists have to be stopped !

Would it be that difficult to send some special trained guys to end this guy's life now?

I don't think Thailand has anything like that. They probably don't bother, as they know loyalty is just a matter of money and all operations would be failures before the operatives even embark.

But yeah, I agree, a Mossad -type solution would be the most efficient. Yes yes, terrible thing to take such a cheap view of human life, but look how much death and misery that particular life is bringing to the world, oops, excuse me, to the country he so dearly loves.

The PM's "road map" was far from fair. Since his party would still be in power in the all important month of September, he would be the one to win in the long run regardless of how the November elections turned out.

It's fair considering Abhisit should be in power until Dec 2011.

Remember, the reds are fighting for "democracy". They don't care about the army reshuffle.

Don’t be naïve; it is the police and army generals who ultimately control the Thai “democracy”, not the PM and the elected MP’s.

there is another point of view on the re-enforcement of Ratchaprasong: taking into account the Government difficulties, Red Shirts have to reinforce their strenght to impose the Roadmap, on contrary of some opinions, this can help the Government against Yellow and multicolored movements.

The reinforcements are there because the reds don't currently have enough people to take their guns and bombs away. They also need people to help take down the stage and the tents. They won't leave that behind, because they'll need it for their next peaceful rally.

I am a Malaysian. Can anyone elaborate? Yellow Shirts are anti red shirts. How can they (Yellow Shirts) protested in 40 armed bases?

They have not protested in 40 armed bases...whatever that means. 40 bases belonging to the army? 40 bases of their own while being armed?

Does the yellow do not like peace? When they conquered the airport previously no one called them terrorist!!! Now they named their opponents "terrorist". Why?

This made me giggle...in fact, a multitude of red posters, some still being here in the forum, called PAD terrorists [and most likely still do] after the airport debacle.

The PM's "road map" was far from fair. Since his party would still be in power in the all important month of September, he would be the one to win in the long run regardless of how the November elections turned out.

Remember, the reds are fighting for "democracy". They don't care about the army reshuffle.

Don't be naïve; it is the police and army generals who ultimately control the Thai "democracy", not the PM and the elected MP's.

What? Do you mean the reds want government dissolved now so they can control the army reshuffle. But they've said it was about democracy. :)

yes, Abhisit is under pressure of both side: his roadmap is still not yet detailed and the PAD/Yellow shirt may empty the contents. The Red Shirts have to mobilise to avoid this.... As simple as this, because the negociation is not finished, the agreement not yet sealed and guaranteed....the reinforcement is a must to get an agreement not an empty shell

yes, Abhisit is under pressure of both side: his roadmap is still not yet detailed and the PAD/Yellow shirt may empty the contents. The Red Shirts have to mobilise to avoid this.... As simple as this, because the negociation is not finished, the agreement not yet sealed and guaranteed....the reinforcement is a must to get an agreement not an empty shell

There is no negotiation now. The reds had their chance for negotiation a month ago. Now they have to accept and go home, or get cleared out.

Don't be naïve; it is the police and army generals who ultimately control the Thai "democracy", not the PM and the elected MP's.

What? Do you mean the reds want government dissolved now so they can control the army reshuffle. But they've said it was about democracy. :)

Exactly! Thai Democracy = I have the power and you don't.

There is no negotiation now. The reds had their chance for negotiation a month ago. Now they have to accept and go home, or get cleared out.

Correct. Barring that, it'll be martial law.

The police and army stand by while the reds bring in new protesters. Pathetic. They aren't going anywhere soon, they think they can squeeze the PM for more concessions.

Exactly. Where were the roadblocks? Why let in more red reinfocements? They must have known they were coming - a caravan of 5,000. Is there no intelligence in this country?!

this is NOT new by today :-( the 5,000 Isaan coming to Bangkok, already in Thai channels for about a day or two.

the point is, HOW COME no authority takes any appropriate measure on strong the 'reinforcement' ?

SAME apply to the Rajprasong, reds build smooth supply and logistic chain :-(

cleaning BKK is a job for the army , with no interference whatsoever or fancy colored shirts.

Anybody caught with a gun should be shot on the spot. This is what they'do in Burma or Malaysia or Laos or Kampucha.Or China. How silly to be toying with stability with China so close.The present govt have just proven they have no idea what they're doing. Who could vote for people unable to clean the streets of organised criminals? Thaïland won't recover withthis, the country we all cherish has gone down the drains of so-called democracy.My (Thaï) son will go there for holidays maybe, but as to settling I'll urge him to find a better- run place to call his home. And this is just a beginning, with the euro and pound and dollars sliding down the chute, soon China will take over here economy-wise , and it's gonna be real quiet in the streets again. But no more sanook na.

Sounds like you're having a conversation with yourself, but that's ok. Don't tell me the 'the roadmap is not detailed..." It makes it clear that Ab will dissolve parliament and enable elections 13 months sooner than he needed to if he hadn't been hounded by a violent mob - bankrolled by a despicable man hiding overseas.

The Reds don't have much of anything to bargain with. The army would be justified in going in there with concerted force. However, everything in Thailand is wrapped around ceremony, and the reason the Army gives for not doing their job right now, is there are still a couple more days re; Coronation Day ceremonies. The Red leaders think they're being crafty by delaying unnecessarily, but it could well backfire painfully on their minions who will be in the line of fire, if CRES ever follows up on their threats of dealing with lawbreakers dynamically.

I seriously doubt that, earlier when the yellow shirts were causing trouble and protesting(prior to abhists government), there were grenade atacks against the yellow shirt protesters, just like the ones now; yellow shirts are trouble makers but they do not have these grenade and shooting attackers that seem to be part of the UDD movement; since the redshirts started their protests in march there have been repeated grenade and shooting attacks but never against red shirt protesters, always against everyone else; police, army, officials houses, multi-color shirts, banks, etc. AND every time there is a grenade attack on silom road, the attackers get away, despite the large number of police in the area..obviously they are getting away by slipping back into the redshirt protest area, or are fireing from the protest area in the first place.

I think it may have been the yellow shirts. Since the police were targeted, who were known to have sided with the UDD in this conflict by not doing anything to clear them.

Exactly! Thai Democracy = I have the power and you don't.

hmm . . . my limited English tells me another word :

'I have the power and you don't'= DICTATORSHIP :D

Looks like the reds have started to 'negotiate' again or is this the answer to whether they accept the road map? if it is it looks like a no.

They are nothing but fascists... No different than brownshirts and blackshirts in the 1930s... Fascism clad in whatever color is still fascism... Of course the leaders will disavow it, but it is clear who is behind it. Redshirt definition of democracy. "We vote and choose government. If you disagree with us we kill you." I disliked the way the reds did in 2009 at Songkran. I tried to be neutral this year, but the reds actions kept pushing me further and further from neutrality. I am not neutral... The reds can never be trusted. They will use bribes, intimidation and murder to will elections, and they will persecute the Muslims in the South even more...

No to fascism of any color.

Occam's Razor: the most obvious/simplest explanation is probably the one that's true.

It's easy to run all over the countryside looking for wild explanations. The Yellows have a history of relatively peaceful protests, and it's bizarre to think the Yellows would have cold-blooded cop killers in their ranks. Plus, the Yellows don't have problems with cops.

On the other hand, look at what the Reds have been doing, who they've been harboring, their propensity for violence, and the most likely culprit for the dastardly deaths and injuries is right in front of your face.

So the yellow that ran over the policeman in his pick up truck, the yellow that stabbed a policeman while they tried to storm parliament, do you want me to go on?

[\quote] You'll notice, I used the adjective 'relatively peaceful' when describing the Yellow's protests. The Yellows carried out sustained protests. There were some isolated violent events, mostly caused by outsiders (Reds?) attacking the Yellows. In contrast, the when the Reds protest, it's guaranteed there will be lots of violence.

....no doubt the same with the grenades fired from the park that now are proven to be fired from the hospital etc. Some people never learn.
The latest evidence indicates the deadly grenade of April 22 was fired from the Red enclave at the park.

"Most police posted at the park and on Silom Road are now armed with batons and shields, and it is now expected that they will be armed and carry weapons while on duty." (From newspaper report)

I apologize for casting aspersions at the cops - for not firing back at murderous punks this morning. I had assumed the cops were armed with more than batons. It appears that later today - the order went out for cops to be armed with loaded guns.

Horrible idea to arm crowd control police. You cannot protect your weapon while managing crowds. Sure fire way to give more weapons to the mob.

The last thing Thailand should do is use Israeli type tactics!-Israel's tactics especially since 1967 of using disproportionate force, assassination, bombings, aphartied, torture, expulsions, grouse oppresion etc. have made this situation in the ME worse and worse and there is never a resolution.. it might fulfill some desire to get revenge, but it will make the political situation here enflamed to the point where the terrorism never ends, that's exactly what these m79terrorists want.. if Thailand was using the same tactics in the south to fight the insurgency there that Israel uses, we would already have islamic suicide bombings here in bangkok.. AND the redshirt/yellowshirt problem.. We can't lose this country to violence the way Israel/Palestine has been lost, I support Abhists reconciliation plan, but the protesters can't stay there forever, if it does come time to disperse them then it has to be done carefully, lets not lose our heads to anger and hate.

I don't think Thailand has anything like that. They probably don't bother, as they know loyalty is just a matter of money and all operations would be failures before the operatives even embark.

But yeah, I agree, a Mossad -type solution would be the most efficient. Yes yes, terrible thing to take such a cheap view of human life, but look how much death and misery that particular life is bringing to the world, oops, excuse me, to the country he so dearly loves.

Edited by pkspeaker

Second Thai policeman killed near Bangkok protests

BANGKOK (AFP) -- A second Thai policeman has been killed in attacks near anti-government protests in Bangkok,

in a grenade blast and a drive-by shooting that also left 12 wounded, authorities said Saturday.

afplogo.jpg

-- ©Copyright AFP 2010-05-08

Published with written approval from AFP.

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Maybe these acts of lawlessness will get the police off their duffs and get them to actually enforce the law...imagine that!

For God's sake Abhisit, do something NOW, before it is TOO LATE !! the 'snow ball' is running very fast down hill :)

anyone get his mobile phone number, email ?

For God's sake Abhisit, do something, before more people get hurt!!
Looks like the reds have started to 'negotiate' again or is this the answer to whether they accept the road map? if it is it looks like a no.

Second Thai policeman killed near Bangkok protests

BANGKOK (AFP) -- A second Thai policeman has been killed in attacks near anti-government protests in Bangkok,

in a grenade blast and a drive-by shooting that also left 12 wounded, authorities said Saturday.

afplogo.jpg

-- ©Copyright AFP 2010-05-08

Published with written approval from AFP.

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Maybe these acts of lawlessness will get the police off their duffs and get them to actually enforce the law...imagine that!

If and when a crackdown is eventually ordered this might force the police to use strong-arm tactics, thus giving the red shirts more ground against the government during negotiations.

If I were the head of a wealthy Thai/Chinese family, my number one priority right now would be to gain control of the Thai police and military. Whoever controls the police and military when "he" is no longer with us will be able to choose the "successor". Whoever chooses the successor will guarantee that his family remains in power and wealth for generations to come. In order to control the Thai police and military in the near term, you must control the PM position in the all important month of September. Enough said.

Does that put the “red shirt” vs. “yellow shirt” conflict into perspective for you?

Edited by Utley

Pay back from the yellows for police not doing their job or red shirts trying to cause chaos so they can move weapons out of the area.

I think you may have missed the part of the story where the terrorist fired on a group people protesting the reds. To believe that this was anyone else but red shirts is retarded. Just because "they are close to getting what they want" doesn't mean that they will behave and change what they are which is thug to the core. It doesn't have to make sense-nothing else they have doen does.

The PM's "road map" was far from fair. <SNIPPED OUT MINDLESSNESS>

OMG another 23 post thai political pundit is spawned. ..

WHILE YOU POST IS OFF TOPIC I’ll answer you with:

Go check your facts before you spout off political one sided rhetoric;

Short history lesson follows;

AFTER the coup there were elections and NOT ONE PARTY got a clear majority.

The redz cobbled together a coalition and had TWO (count 'em TWO) 'red' P/M's. Like I said, they (the redz) didn't have a majority of M/P's in the Lower House so they couldn't run the government without forming a coalition with the smaller parties.

The first P/M; Samak ran amuck of something called the 'law' (which prohibits a P/M from holding another job while in office). Now even a semi-intelligent person might be lead to believe that if someone was gonna be the frickin' P/M of this country he or his party might actually read the constitution and/or the law concerning that job (then again as evidenced by what happened, maybe not. :D ..).

After Samak the P/M was another 'red' Somchai, but he too ran amuck of something called electoral law and was found guilty of vote buying, and paying small parties to run against them in constituencies where the 'reds' were running unopposed. (In this country if you run unopposed you have to get 20% of the registered voters in an area instead of just a majority of who ever happens to turn out to vote when you run against someone else.

AFTER Somchai was axed, Abhisit and the Dem party were able to for yet another coalition of smaller parties, get a majority of M/P's in the lower house and thereby the mandate under the same law as Samak/Somchai had for their turn at bat to run the government.

Now this was due, in no small part, to Newin Chidchob and his 'Friends of Newin' group of nearly 40 M/P's switching sides from the redz to the Demz, but that is neither here nor there. There is NO provision in the constitution which says if a candidate doesn't fulfill the platform under which he was elected (like saying if he switches sides after he's elected) the people can call for a recall-vote or do anything except just suck it up until the next elections.

The next elections aren't legally required to take place until the END of 2011! That Abhisit is willing to cut his term by A YEAR, as well as his kid-glove approach to the red-rabble (almost to the point of being perceived as weak), and his statements that the constitution NEEDS to be amended, speaks volumes for someone who is really trying to find a way outta this quagmire.

That my politically un-savvy poster; is how the thais have arrived at this juncture.

It's just sour grapes on the redz, and who are obviously mad at Newin for switching sides which lead to the current government with the Demz. (And BEFORE you spout off that the P/M didn't have the mandate of the people, check your facts again, in this country the people DON'T elect a P/M, they elect M/P's who elect the P/M.

Last time I checked, ALL the M/P's of the Lower House WERE elected by the people, so yes in fact the people DID elect this P/M, according to thai electoral/constitutional law.

Now what your post has to with the violence last nite, I've no clue, but please at least check some facts before you spout off..

BACK ON TOPIC:

I still find it strange that the reds are never targeted as victims in any violence; the multiz, the yellowz, the police, the soldiers, the regular rank and file people pissed at the protests yes, but never ever the redz. Hmmm. :) My vote is on Khattiya or another wing-nut like him. :D

Horrible idea to arm crowd control police. You cannot protect your weapon while managing crowds. Sure fire way to give more weapons to the mob.

the Thai security forces didn't learnt from the Apr 10 conflict, that they 'give in' hundreds of weapons to the reds, including that stupid kung-&lt;deleted&gt; actor !