Bangkok: Policeman Killed, 7 Policemen, 2 Civilians Injured In Double Attacks

webfact

Sounds like a yellow shirt sponsored thing to me, they stand to lose the most in a November election, because the people will vote for the PPP as usual. It's a good deal for the redshirts so I can't see them being daft enough to scupper it.

the yellow shirts have an history of non violence and saeh daeng has more to lose IMHO... Thai people around me all think its suthep who wants to discredit the red shirts ( and Thai people around me are NOT pro red)

i think like for everything in thsi politics we will never have the truth told officially

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am sickened by the news this morning, It seems two more families lives devastated by the shoot to order policy of either the red or yellow leaders. However you define it and whoever is responsible, this is in no doubt Terrorist activity'

Terrorism

1. The deliberate commission of an act of violence to create an emotional response through the suffering of the victims in the furtherance of a political or social agenda.

2. Violence against civilians to achieve military or political objectives.

3. A psychological strategy of war for gaining political or religious ends by deliberately creating a climate of fear among the population of a state

The only people in the world that would currently critisise the PM for cracking down really hard on this situation are the Thais. No other nation would make adverse comment about the government using force to re-install law and order.

I am further perplexed by the news that a convoy of 5000 reds have now arrived in Bangkok from the North and are making their way to join the encampment. Why has the convoy been allowed to continue? No doubt bringing a mass of resupplies for those already in Bangkok. They should have had the mother of all Army/Police road blocks to say sod off you are not coming in. The situation is only made better by turning off the TV and computer and filling a bucket full of clean sand to stick my head in. God I want to scream!!

THE NATION: redshirt from Khon Kaen just arrived at Chidlom.

THE NATION: If the reds are sincere that they are not involved with the violence, they should disperse immediately.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

do shopping LOL :)

what the h_ll they come to Bangkok ? is there any hidden agenda from the reds, their own 'peace plan' to gain negotiation ?

I don't understand this Thai politics :-(

Given the fragmented leadership exhibited from the red stage at Rachaprasong between the core leaders and the 'underlings', (not to mention the alternate site at Lumpini which it would seem is run ONLY by Maj-Gen Khattiya Sawasdipol also known as Seh Daeng.) I think it is no wonder that there is violence, (which suspiciously other than the April 10th 'ronin warriors' or 'men-in-black' has NEVER ever been directed at the red-rabble protestors :D )

The instigator and/or brains behind the attacks is probably someone who shares a belief system like Khattiya :) .

FWIW: Maj-Gen Khattiya Sawasdipol is a real piece of frickin' work (NOT!! :D ). He's a red-firebrand whack-job whose every answer to every issue in this political stand off has been to preach; VIOLENCE.

He used to be the 'leader' of the 'black shirts' who are the security force for the red-rabble tree forts in the two areas.

Previously his statements showed he knew quite a bit of inside intel concerning the 'ronin warriors’ and/or ‘men-in-black' who routed the soldiers on April 10th. His housing compound was searched some time ago and a BIG cache of weapons was found buried in the yard. He professed to having no knowledge of how the weapons got there. (Nope, never saw the back-hoe or the caravan of trucks or the men which buried that stuff. :D Sorry, musta missed it when I ran out for Somtam. :D )

I don't think he's been seen at the Rachaprasong 'tree fort' in a while, mostly due to his widely disparate political ideology in seeking a solution to the problems. He hangs out mostly at the one by the Rama 6 monument.

He's quite easy to spot. He's can't be even 5 feet tall; so look for the only midget in Army fatigues inside the red-rabble 'tree fort' walkin' around posing for pics, waving his hands, and looking important. :D He's clearly a legend in his own mind.

I wouldn't trust that guy as far as I could throw him, (and giving that he's quite small, I could probably chuck him a fair distance).

As an aside; Just talked to a friend stuck in a city bus on Phaholyothin Road and traffic is choked with the red-caravan making its way evidently to the main rally site at Rachaprasong. She said the sides of the road are quite thick with soldiers. Looks like the Khon Kaen contingent has arrived to shore up the dwindling numbers of protestors.

Edited by tod-daniels

I am a Malaysian. Can anyone elaborate? Yellow Shirts are anti red shirts. How can they (Yellow Shirts) protested in 40 armed bases? Are they part of the military personals disguised in yellow? Does the yellow do not like peace? When they conquered the airport previously no one called them terrorist!!! Now they named their opponents "terrorist". Why? They can protest but others can't. Are the yellow shirts protesters holy? The recent shooting made me suspect that Yellow Shirts army intelligence have a part. The reason before they claim had confisticated about 60 over M79 grenade launcher from red shirt protesters motor bike. Is it confisticated red handed or planted later. I believe it was planted because they need to impilcate the red shirts are "terrorist". If one carry a weapon he won't left idle without using it. But the child story goes that Red Shirts left their M79 idle in their motor bike when the police attacked with rubber and real bullets. As a human being 'think'. I think Yellow Shirts have a part in this recent shooting.

ok lets be clear once and for all.

the yellow shirts didnt " conquer" or invade the airport , they went there to " welcome" somchai who was returning from a trip , but there was so many that the director of AOT closed the airport by HIMSELF ... they rallied in the arrival lane OUTSIDE the airport at first and NEVER ASKED THE THE AIRPORT BE CLOSED ... ONCE the airport was closed BY AOT then they just sat there .....

very easy to give the key of your house to a burglar and then accuse him to ransack your house ....

ohhhh and NO I'M NOT PRO YELLOW , I think that the situation as it is today would not have happened if Abhisit had the balls to put Sondhi and Chamlong in Jail without parole for 5 years as soon as he became prime minister.

Was Somchai arriving at ALL airports? I seem to recall the yellows occupying all the international airports.

He was supposed to arrive at don muang , that is why don muang was hit first by the yellow wave, then rumors said that he was rerouted to suvarnabhumi so they went to swampy

have any more doubt about my post? check the newspapers online archives

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People's_...ing_the_airport

Yellows may not be as bad but they are a bunch of selfish thugs just like the reds.

Edited by jcbangkok

IMHO it was probably best the convey was allowed into Bangkok - according to yesterday's BKK post they were adamant on arriving. Trying to prevent them might of sparked confrontation and bloodshed up in the sticks which could of easily be spun against Abhisit given the lack of neutral witnesses and cameras in such a location.

Just a theory. Would be nice to hear the official bend.

Thais hate Thais but they need to live on the same land. There are no good Thais or bad Thais, there are only Thais who need A NEW POLITICAL system to live together peacefully.

"No bad Thais" what do you actually have to do to qualify for that ? These seem to be bad enough to me !

there is certainly some bad Thai - whom attack soldiers, polices and civilians with weapons ! I just don't care they are reds, yellows and any colour, they are cold-blooded :):D:D

IMHO, Thailand is still in the aftermaith of Vietnam war; smuggling of weapons in North West with Burmese tribes, strong Vietnam war veteran community, Armed forces still parly organised as per the past threats, base for some foreign Intelligences surveying neighbouring Countries, militias.... Thailand has not yet fully turned the page of Vietnam war. It explains why militias, nearly open circulation of weapons, violences are still the normalcy in this Country

this seems to clearly illustrate the rally has nothing to do with the good of Thailand and the people, but the retrieval of money stolen from the Thais and back into the pocket of the thief. Why is there no education campaign so as to inform these people that their leader is the cause of their lacking roads, schools etc? Obviously they are being played the fools and are merely being disrespected by being pawns in a power match. The payoff for the win, regardless of commonsense and what is best for the country has taken precedence at the expense of the uneducated and uninformed. Very sad indeed, but a propaganda campaign has been working so far, I think it's time for a counter propaganda campaign by the government. The silence is creepy, and although the red leaders have clearly lost face to a huge number of the Thai population, the momentum of victory is always put on the back burner. The use of war weapons and killing Thai citizens and the workers paid for by the tax payers should not be tolerated. Easy to understand the ignorant behavior of the people that follow a leader that doesn't like to pay taxes himself. Compassion for the people, educate them!

the yellow shirts have an history of non violence and saeh daeng has more to lose IMHO... Thai people around me all think its suthep who wants to discredit the red shirts ( and Thai people around me are NOT pro red)

i think like for everything in thsi politics we will never have the truth told officially

Sah Daeng will get paid if and when he gets the job done, period. The Boss will buy him his way out of legal consequences providing he gets it done and the boss survives.

Let's keep our eye on the ball, there is only one force propelling the red/black team, the rest is mascara. These people are only there because they were hired.

:)

This isn't a good sign...for anyone. But don't let it lead you to assumptions about who is responsible based on which side or who you "like" and who you "don't like".

It doesn't have to be either of the sides, or for that matter any side that was the cause of these incidents. It may be another group ( I hate to use the term "third-party" because that seems to have been appropriated by the government earlier).

I was in Bangkok during the 1992 riots. I remember there were charges and counter charges about certain violent groups, particularly motercycle gangs, that were working for the government or the street protestors. It was implied they were doing it for pay. They didn't seem to care much about which side they worked for, as long as they got their money. They seemed to be mainly interested in causing trouble, sometines just for the excitement of it.

At the time both sides accused the other one of hiring these thugs to start trouble. I don't think anything was ever proved, but there were a lot of accusations made against both sides.

All I'm saying is don't make assumptions on who did what and why until you can verify the facts. Whatever the "facts" turn out to be. And that goes for all sides of the political devide in Thailand right now.

:D

I generally agree with your logic here. There will be individuals who don't want the fight to end. They may have found purpose in their lives with their affiliations in this several week struggle or simply like to fight. The color shirt they may wear is immaterial.

The acts as described are hardly thought out tactics by either side.

I am a Malaysian. Can anyone elaborate? Yellow Shirts are anti red shirts. How can they (Yellow Shirts) protested in 40 armed bases? Are they part of the military personals disguised in yellow? Does the yellow do not like peace? When they conquered the airport previously no one called them terrorist!!! Now they named their opponents "terrorist". Why? They can protest but others can't. Are the yellow shirts protesters holy? The recent shooting made me suspect that Yellow Shirts army intelligence have a part. The reason before they claim had confisticated about 60 over M79 grenade launcher from red shirt protesters motor bike. Is it confisticated red handed or planted later. I believe it was planted because they need to impilcate the red shirts are "terrorist". If one carry a weapon he won't left idle without using it. But the child story goes that Red Shirts left their M79 idle in their motor bike when the police attacked with rubber and real bullets. As a human being 'think'. I think Yellow Shirts have a part in this recent shooting.

You seem to be sadly mis-informed on this matter. The person apprehended was a police sergeant - not the usual person to frame. The weapons he was carrying are M-79 grenade projectiles, which require a launcher - he didn't have one so using them as a weapon was not possible. As an ill-informed human being, you think wrong!

THE NATION: If the reds are sincere that they are not involved with the violence, they should disperse immediately.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

what the h_ll they come to Bangkok ? is there any hidden agenda from the reds, their own 'peace plan' to gain negotiation ?

It makes a lot more sense if you look at it from Thaksin's perspective. Unfortunately for him the PM's "roadmap" was far too reasoanble and was to be conducted in a far too open and inclusive fashion. That doesn't help Thaksin at all, but Reds could not be seen to dismiss such a significantly fair and peaceful proposition. Violence will confuse things and create setbacks, which of course is the intention.

As an aside; Just talked to a friend stuck in a city bus on Phaholyothin Road and traffic is choked with the red-caravan making its way evidently to the main rally site at Rachaprasong. She said the sides of the road are quite thick with soldiers. Looks like the Khon Kaen contingent has arrived to shore up the dwindling numbers of protestors.

How nice for the soldiers, they get to watch the reds arrive, keeps them from getting too bored. :)

Two Thai policeman killed in attacks near Bangkok protests

BANGKOK (AFP) -- Two Thai policemen have been killed in attacks near anti-government protests in Bangkok, in a grenade blast and a drive-by shooting that also left 12 wounded, authorities said Saturday.

Very strange? Motorcycle drives by....shoots several people........and nobody is able to shoot back?????

It was a check point ,the police or soldiers are armed......and they know this can happen any minute.....still their fingers are not on the trigger ???????????????????

Strange ! Very strange ?

They didn't have a trigger to put their finger on because most police there don't have guns.... but they will now:

Most police posted at the park and on Silom Road are now armed with batons and shields, and it is now expected that they will be armed and carry weapons while on duty.

http://www.mcot.net/cfcustom/cache_page/53...29e33545175b131

THE NATION: Urgent: Red leaders condemn last nite's attacks and express condolences for the victims, families.

THE NATION: Nuttawut said it was the work of those "who don't want to see this end/who are equipped to achieve their goal."

Good to see the reds have condemned this incident. This is the first time they have done that.

Ofcourse, that doesn't mean that this wasn't done by a violent faction of the reds.

But at least the red leaders are moving forward.

Thousands of new protesters arriving this morning isn't really moving forward. The red leaders need to order a dispersal immediately to show they have any intention of seeking peaceful elections.

It's noon, so where is the PM? Any comment on the incident last night? Any plan to keep it from happening again tonight?

Edited by Humungus

Thais hate Thais but they need to live on the same land. There are no good Thais or bad Thais, there are only Thais who need A NEW POLITICAL system to live together peacefully.

"No bad Thais" what do you actually have to do to qualify for that ? These seem to be bad enough to me !

there is certainly some bad Thai - whom attack soldiers, polices and civilians with weapons ! I just don't care they are reds, yellows and any colour, they are cold-blooded :):D:D

IMHO, Thailand is still in the aftermaith of Vietnam war; smuggling of weapons in North West with Burmese tribes, strong Vietnam war veteran community, Armed forces still parly organised as per the past threats, base for some foreign Intelligences surveying neighbouring Countries, militias.... Thailand has not yet fully turned the page of Vietnam war. It explains why militias, nearly open circulation of weapons, violences are still the normalcy in this Country

To the best of my knowledge, the Thai military saw little to no combat in Vietnam itself. They did see combat fighting the "communist" insurgency in Northeast Thailand on the border with Laos.

It makes a lot more sense if you look at it from Thaksin's perspective. Unfortunately for him the PM's "roadmap" was far too reasoanble and was to be conducted in a far too open and inclusive fashion. That doesn't help Thaksin at all, but Reds could not be seen to dismiss such a significantly fair and peaceful proposition. Violence will confuse things and create setbacks, which of course is the intention.

The PM's "road map" was far from fair. Since his party would still be in power in the all important month of September, he would be the one to win in the long run regardless of how the November elections turned out.

Two Thai policeman killed in attacks near Bangkok protests

BANGKOK (AFP) -- Two Thai policemen have been killed in attacks near anti-government protests in Bangkok, in a grenade blast and a drive-by shooting that also left 12 wounded, authorities said Saturday.

Police said in the early hours of the morning a grenade attack hit a security checkpoint in front of a city park that forms the edge of the protest encampment.

"Eight people including five police and three soldiers were wounded," the Bangkok Emergency Medical Service said. A hospital official said that one 35-year-old policeman died during surgery.

Earlier, one policeman was killed and four others -- two police and two civilians -- were wounded when a man on a motorbike opened fire on a patrol in the nearby Silom financial district, which is under heavy guard.

afplogo.jpg

-- ©Copyright AFP 2010-05-08

Published with written approval from AFP.

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Verry strange? Motorcycle drives by....shoots several people........and noboddy is able to shoot back?????

It was a check point ,the police or soldiers are armed......and they know this can happen anny minute.....stilltheir fingers are not on the trigger ???????????????????

Strange ! Very strange ?

NOT strange at all.... TIT... This is Thailand!

CS

Guess people are watching too many Hollywood movies....

There wasn't even time to take out their guns. And Superman fell from a horseback.

The PM's "road map" was far from fair. Since his party would still be in power in the all important month of September, he would be the one to win in the long run regardless of how the November elections turned out.

It's fair considering Abhisit should be in power until Dec 2011.

Remember, the reds are fighting for "democracy". They don't care about the army reshuffle.

The redshirts are on the verge of getting what they want. It is more much likely that it is someone else who wants to disrupt the peacetrain. :)

This is a possibility.

Another is that the peace plan is something the reds dont want but they know they cant reject it outright. Perhaps they still want Abhisit out and house dissolution ASAP to create a power vacuum.

Other than an attempt at discrediting someone, it's not at all obvious who benefits from this violence...if it was reds, they appear to gain absolutely nothing...if it was yellows it may be to disrupt the peace process, since they now want Abhisit out as well, and this puts more pressure on the prime minister...

Somebody knows whodunit, but certainly no one on these boards....

Remember, the reds are fighting for "democracy". They don't care about the army reshuffle.

Every Thai government in the past has taken advantage of the annual reshuffle.

"There are no good Thais or bad Thais........"

Are you suggesting that this was the work of foreign mercenaries, or condoning the murder and maiming of innocents in the name of a NEW POLITICAL SYSTEM? Under which political system is murder not a "bad" thing?

I'll give you a quote from the anti-war film "Full Metal Jacket"; "The stupid b@st@rds would rather be alive than free!" :)

I confirm: There are no good Thais or bad Thais.

But there are some aggressive farangs.

:-)

Every Thai government in the past has taken advantage of the annual reshuffle.

This one is different, because it's the HEAD of the army that is being replaced.

there is another point of view on the re-enforcement of Ratchaprasong: taking into account the Government difficulties, Red Shirts have to reinforce their strength to impose the Roadmap. On contrary of some opinions, this can help the Government to impose the roadmap against Yellow and multicolored movements.

Edited by Jerrytheyoung

The police and army stand by while the reds bring in new protesters. Pathetic. They aren't going anywhere soon, they think they can squeeze the PM for more concessions.

Exactly. Where were the roadblocks? Why let in more red reinfocements? They must have known they were coming - a caravan of 5,000. Is there no intelligence in this country?!

The redshirts are on the verge of getting what they want. It is more much likely that it is someone else who wants to disrupt the peacetrain. :)

This is a possibility.

Another is that the peace plan is something the reds dont want but they know they cant reject it outright. Perhaps they still want Abhisit out and house dissolution ASAP to create a power vacuum.

Other than an attempt at discrediting someone, it's not at all obvious who benefits from this violence...if it was reds, they appear to gain absolutely nothing...if it was yellows it may be to disrupt the peace process, since they now want Abhisit out as well, and this puts more pressure on the prime minister...

Somebody knows whodunit, but certainly no one on these boards....

The Reds DO gain something and that is an excuse for quitting the peace process which they don't favor in any way. How does peace bring Thaksin back? As for the Yellows they staked out an opening position at the extreme. They have no voice in government and if they do support anyone it is Abhisit. They gain nothing by making Abhisits job harder. Their enemy is Thaksin.