Antibiotics Give To Kids

Neeranam

I have just been to the hospital with my 2 year old daughter who has an eye infection. She has had these nearly every month. In fact for nearly everthing that she has had wrong with her, antibiotics are given. I am no doctor but think that they hand them out too easily.

Can kids become immune to these antibiotics?

Should I sometimes refuse to take them, letting her develop her own resistance?

Given a choice between listening to a doctor and listening to anonymous posters on an expat website, I'd choose the former.

Well there has been an occasian that if a poster on this board had taken the drugs that he was given by a doctor, he could have died!

Neeranam, If i am in doubt over a Docs diagnosis/drugs etc and cannot get reliable info from the net, I just call my local GP at home for a second opinion.

I have just been to the hospital with my 2 year old daughter who has an eye infection. She has had these nearly every month. In fact for nearly everthing that she has had wrong with her, antibiotics are given. I am no doctor but think that they hand them out too easily.

Scary stuff around antibiotics in Thailand, and resistance to antibiotics is said to be a serious problem here, as well in most other parts of the world...

If your daughter has built up resistence, I'm not sure if she can change that situation, like weaning from a drug making the effects go away. I sense this is more like damage.... The internet is your best research tool in this area, I feel. In fact, it's a great research tool for drug info, or anything else... Soon, all the medical textbooks from the Library of Congress will be online, and then, with Grey's Anatomy perhaps, we can do self-surgery... :o

I am one who would be dead by now if I strictly followed my Thai doc's advice... There are others.... So many threads and words about that here, but you aleady know you must be cautious... One more caution I might suggest about antibiotics... Don't try to prescribe an antibiotic yourself to maybe 'help' your daughter to get some more effective help, fearing she might simply need 'stronger' meds... I feel sure you are more responsible that that, but I would feel remiss in not saying it, because it is a natural feeling to want to help your kid in any way possible... But the safest way, of course, na'? :D

I think getting another opinion, and/or educating yourself before discussing this with your doc, is a good idea. Then, in your discussion, you can maybe offer some alternatives that you've read about.. You can check what he's saying with what you've read about and compare the two- since there is no universal source of truth- giving yourself at least a better-educated opinion when you get more pro-active with your kid's healthcare, and life....

:D

Ajarn, Chuchok, thanks for the good advice. The internet is a great resource. I have been very irresponsible before and prescribed myself antibiotics as well as some much more dangerous stuff. As for my daughter, no way.

Given a choice between listening to a doctor and listening to anonymous posters on an expat website, I'd choose the former.

You obviously don't know much about Thai doctors.

I managed to come off tranquilizers by listening to advice from guys online. The Thai experts tried to give me stronger ones!

They tried to give me Xanax when I was trying to come off alcohol.

They tell me that as I have not drunk for years, I am safe to have a drink in moderation. etc etc.

Errr - people don't become immune to antibiotics, bacterial infections do.

One danger is in not completing a course of antibiotics. When you start the course, the weakest cells are killed first, towards the end (when you feel better) only the stronger, more resistant cells are hanging around. By stopping the course early, these stronger cells get to multiply & mutate leading to drug resistant infections.

IF she has an infection, vitamin C isn't going to cure it - take the antibiotics & make sure you finish the course.

The only thing scary about antibiotics here is the ability to self-prescribe & buy them from any drug store.

Neeranam, you haven't mentioned the name of the eye infection. I am posting This Link on the off chance it may be of some use.

See if you can get abalone drops. Antibiotics will not treat a virus they will feed it.

Again I suggest St Louis Hospital.

The patient need a swab taken of the discharge and a proper diagnosis made.

NB: Never put ointment in the eye during the day. Only at night time before bed. The ointment acts as a trap also be super super careful inregards to cross infection.

New towels, face cloths etc.

Has she had her eye examined 100%. Is it in only one eye. Are they /you /her sure there is no embedded object.

The eye is the fastest healing organ in the body so if something is embedded you need invasive treatment.

An exaggeratted example a gunner gets a sliver of cartidge shrapnel, he thinks he gets it out by rubbing and flushing 90 days later we're removing tissue to extract the foreign object.

As suggested seek a second opinion. I know where I would send you St. Louis. If you are in Pattaya PM me and I'll assist you with the right Doctor.

Do Not Take this lightly also use bottled water and wash with boiling water any untensil used to flush the eye like the eye bath and do between each eye

Cover the irritated eye and remember no ointment during the day use a cotton bud role eye lid down and apply and vice versa for upper and again apply a eye patch. Uncomfortable yes try Nurofen depending on age for pain.

St. Louis for sure.

Good Luck and God Bless to your daughter.

Keep me posted!

My mother is a doctor and she admits that SOME doctors do prescribe antibiotics far too quickly. Some establishments in the UK pay doctors through the amount of patients they treat in a day/week/month/year whatever time scale, I'm not sure if this applies in Thailand too (probably). Prescribing antibiotics is a quick and easy way to deal with a patient, even when they are more effective alternatives. Personally I would avoid use of antibiotics unless COMPLETELY necessary, however once administered it is crucial you complete the course, even if you feel totally fine. Most people make this mistake and over time can become immune to various antibiotics... A much publicised immunity is Methicillin resistant stapholoccus aureus and many other strains of this, oxacillin, penicillin etc.

I personally refuse the course of antibiotics and see if she can develop her own resistance, however being only two years old she will not have the most efficient immune system or luekocytes. I think it would be best to confront your doctor and explain your concerns (although you've probably tried that)

Best of luck

Well there has been an occasian that if a poster on this board had taken the drugs that he was given by a doctor, he could have died!

Neeranam, If i am in doubt over a Docs diagnosis/drugs etc and cannot get reliable info from the net, I just call my local GP at home for a second opinion.

Excellent advice by Chuchok there. Give your doc a call in the UK, Neeranam. Bung 009 before the 44 on your mobile for a 7 baht per minute rate. Best of luck :o

Additional.

My missus is always very eager to go to the nearest pharmacy and get some medicine for the boy whenever he has the slightest of snivels. Unless he's really struggling, I'll hang on for a bit before shovelling crap down his throat. Don't think they understand the concept of colds going away by themselves due to the body's defences building up.

Edited by jackr

Excellent advice by Chuchok there. Give your doc a call in the UK, Neeranam. Bung 009 before the 44 on your mobile for a 7 baht per minute rate. Best of luck :D

Additional.

My missus is always very eager to go to the nearest pharmacy and get some medicine for the boy whenever he has the slightest of snivels. Unless he's really struggling, I'll hang on for a bit before shovelling crap down his throat. Don't think they understand the concept of colds going away by themselves due to the body's defences building up.

Yeah, I agree.MIL always wants to drag the two year old off to the doctor or put some crap down her throat if she has a cold . It is a waste of time trying to explain to her that a cold is a virus..anti-biotics are for bacteria infections..all falls on deaf ears . I have no complaints about Thailand whatsover, except medicine. Throw enough medicine at a sickness ..it will go away, combined with old wives tales about "catching cold" from the rain or not drying your hair after a shower. Some doctors i have come across quote this nonsense. :o

neeranram...

first: what kind of infection?: green icky pussy kinds, or swollen red cunjuncta , or lots of tears, or no tears?/...

most doctors wouldnt be giving oral anti biotics for local eye infection ;

some kids tear ducts get clogged and usually by 6-8 months old they get them opened using saline water pushed thru the duct, or local operation if persists; dont know about 'well baby' care in thailand but if this is a long term problem then the tear duct thing should be checked out.... it causes green gooey stuff and eyelids stick together in mornings;

also allergic conjuctivitis (in which case allergy meds, and eye drops are ususally perscribed);

reg. conjunctivitis whihc is super infectious and re infects children often: change pillow and bed covers daily, dont allow to touch eyes (perhaps sunglasses during out door time to prevent wind, dust, feathers etc if u live in country, pollution if u are in city, from bothering eyes -- have one daughter with this problem);

wash eyes several times daily w/boiled, hot (but not enough to burn her lids) water w/ one teaspoon salt mixed in, using cotton balls, one dish of hot/saline water for each eye, new cotton pad each swipe, in towards corner of eye, and then new cotton ball applied to closed eye, three four times a day:

israelis use tea bags saying the chemicals in regular or chamomile tea are beneficial; our eye doctor says its the hot water compress.... up to u!

if she has a stuffed up nose constantly, she may get infections in her eye (or ears of course!) , my second daughter has this thingy... again, allergy meds cleared her nose and sinuses so the eye goo and infections stopped (she's ten now)

at certain ages, antibiotics for sore throats/fever MUST be given as there is risk of secondary diseases: strep throat (what we call angina), etc... so check the net there are some very good pediatric sites i've used for my daughter's pre pubescent migraine problems that the doctors here refused to deal with; also for new info on asthma in children/allergies..... stick with responsible sites, not the 'using crystals' types , unless u are into that stuff....

other kids in area with same? kids drool touch etc passing lots of good healthy batcteria back and forth between them, this makes them stronger but also exposes them to lots of stuff that goes back and forth: like lice, worms, fungus, eye infections, colds, the list goes on....

i jforgot: u dont get colds from being in rain or going out with wet hair BUT it can lower your resistance if u get cold (chilled); u lose much body heat from head and wet head u lose even more; so if u are prone to colds, then this is a good way to leave your body open to viruses... some people are just more suscepbible than others.. i never get sick and work outdoors in all weather; friend of mine gets any respiratory virus in existence including rare things working same as me....

Edited by bina

Hey, thanks a lot guys for your replies, some great advice, facts.

I think the problem is that maybe she didn't finish the course of antibiotics in the past. I'm in Isarn, but there are some good hospitals nearby.

Usually, there is jsut a swelling of the eye-lid and redness. it doesn't seem to bother her. This last time, the upper lid was very swollen, no tears and no redness of the white bit of the eye.

When opening the eye to look inside yesterday, it looked terrible(the inner of the lid), so we rushed off to the hospital again. There was also a lot of yellow puss and a bit of blood which was very scary.

I think the problem in the past was not finishing the course of antibiotics. They also gave some stuff to stop the itch. Today it is much much better and she is off to school.

Both my wife and the doctor blamed me, as I took her swimming last Sunday. Can I not take her swimming anymore?

As for calling my doctor back home, I believe he died. I haven't seen him for probably 12 years.

Thanks again for the replies.

NN

Always seek a second opinion if you are not sure! I would definately do some research on this if it were my child! In my childhood i became quite ill and required dosages of antibiotics. In those days they were the latest cure..... but today have been shown to have had considerable side affects in later life. Good luck....

actually sounds like a 'sty' , .. sometimes tetracycline eye ointment (there are a couple of variations on the same theme of tetra. eye creams, better then drops, put in at night and in morning -- ) washing eyes as i mentioned before w/ saline water using proper hygiene, etc.... and stys (sties?) are very persisitant things needing long time w/ eye ointments and the scratching itching means re infection etc by touching eye... again, sunglasses when outdoors keeps child from having wind, dust etc irritating eye even further and also keeps their little hands a bit away from the eye... if it itches a lot, giving them some ice in a plastic bag to put on eye keeps them busy (play with ice also in bag) and cool/numbs eye....

one of the sites i like to use for basic info: stole the following for you ; but as a child suffered these a lot and my mom did this stuff same same; now have one kid allergic to pollution and this re occurs with her also....

because stys are staph infections i know that here we use tetra type ointments( tetracycline, tevacycline etc); genta types;

forgot to say; yes, swimming could also do it; probably if u swim, use goggles for her, and also wash her eyes out with saline eye solution (u can make the same like i mentioned and put in small old fashioned dropper bottle like we did until we discovered america here and can now buy saline eye washes for babies); this same saline eye wash is also good for baby and child noses, for running nose etc, instead of using addictive nose drops-- use different bottle droppers of course

http://www.mamashealth.com/eye/sty.asp

What Is a Sty?

A sty is a pimple or abscess on the upper or lower edge of the eyelid. It is a sign of an infected eyelid gland. Sties are usually harmless and rarely affect your eye or sight. Sties can occur at any age and tend to recur elsewhere in the lid.

Sties usually occur on the outside of the eyelid but they can also occur on the underside of the eyelid.

A sty can be a symptom of other ailments such as diabetes and chronic skin problems. Sties are not contagious. They are also called hordeolums.

Types of Sties?

There are two types of sties: external (on the outside of the eyelid) and internal (on the underside of the eyelid).

An external sty starts as a pimple next to an eyelash. As it swells, it becomes red and painful. The swelling usually lasts several days before it bursts and then heals. Most external sties do not last very long.

An internal sty causes a red, painful swelling, but its location prevents the pus from appearing on the eyelid. The sty may disappear completely once the infection goes away. However, it may leave a small fluid-filled cyst that can persist and may have to be cut open.

What Causes a Sty?

Sties are usually caused by staphylococcal bacteria. Staphylococcal bacteria often lives in your nostrils and mouth.

Symptoms of a Sty?

The most common symptom of a sty is, slight blurred vision; a red, hot, tender, uncomfortable, and painful swelling near the edge of the eyelid.

You should visit your doctor if:

* Swelling does not subside within a few weeks.

* The swelling interferes with your vision.

* You have pain in the eye.

* You have recurrent sties.

How are Sties Treated?

Treatments depend on the cause. Common treatments are: antibiotic ointments, antibiotic solutions, oral antibiotic, and surgery. If sties recur, your doctor may prescribe an antibiotic ointment or solution. Apply it to the eyelid (with your eye closed) as directed.

rule # 1, don't give this crap to two years old baby.

rule # 2, ask m***f*** what will happen if you won't use his crap, and watch his face...

rule #3, don't use St Louis Hosp- greedy m***f*** insisted on vacination for 2 months pregnant woman

antibiotics are very-very powerfull stuff, they tend to be used only in serious cases, not as freaking oitment and so... Go natural - lotsa vitamins, fresh fruits, green vegies, bye-bye thai food , some fresh air...

everything will be fine

Cheers

Usually, there is jsut a swelling of the eye-lid and redness. it doesn't seem to bother her. This last time, the upper lid was very swollen, no tears and no redness of the white bit of the eye.

When opening the eye to look inside yesterday, it looked terrible(the inner of the lid), so we rushed off to the hospital again. There was also a lot of yellow puss and a bit of blood which was very scary.

I think the problem in the past was not finishing the course of antibiotics. They also gave some stuff to stop the itch. Today it is much much better and she is off to school.

Both my wife and the doctor blamed me, as I took her swimming last Sunday. Can I not take her swimming anymore?

I am an eye doctor.

For the swelling lid symptom take a look at this.

http://www.babyicu.com/healthinfo/adult/pediatrics/stye.asp

The yellow puss and blood (likely just swollen vessels and not actual bleeding, right?), that would need to be treated with antibiotics. Not tetracycline though for a child. This can cause permanent teeth discoloration and weakness in young children (under eight).

It is best to go to a pedriatic ophthalmologist if possible. Some excellent ones in Bangkok are:

Dr. Sapha, Krungweroj Hospital, 0-2271-0221-5

Dr. Pogpong, Ear, Nose, Throat hospital, 0-2258-0442-5

Definitely find out the names of all drugs that are prescribed. Many antibiotics cannot be used with children and some doctors may not realize that if they are trying to treat adults most of the time.

It never hurts to look up medications on the internet and see what their contraindications and side effects are.

If you are in the Isarn you might need to consult with both a pediatrician and an ophthalmologist separately to confer the diagnosis and prescription. The ophthalmologist will know more about the eye and the pediatrician will know more about what drugs not to give to children. I know it sounds like alot of work but it could be extremely important to your child's health.

Good luck.