Completely Confused Re Visa

Hi,

I'm really sorry because I know this must have been asked before, so if someone could point me to it I'd really appreciate it.

I arrived on a one month tourist visa. I would like to extend. My plan after this next visa is to get a student visa for muay thai. My work is abroad and I do it by email so I would just really like to spend about a year exploring the region with bangkok as my base.

How do I get my next visa? This one is up in a few days and I have just found out that the land trip only gives 15 days now? At 2000 bhat that doesn't sound like a great deal. Is it the only option other than flying out and back? If I do have to fly to get the best visa, where would you recommend (ie least processing time)?

Again, I'm really sorry I'm just finding contradictory info everywhere and I don't know anyone else in the same boat. I just found out about the muay thai visa otherwise I would have done it weeks ago!

Thank you!

I would really love to go to Laos. Could I take the train there (love train journeys) and fly back? I would have to fly back to get the 60 day visa (if even issued there?). I have a Dutch passport. Can't find a flight for less than 10,000 bhat though so would rather take the train back but it doesn't seem possible?

Maybe go to Malaysia then...

OK,

Looks like you came in on a 'Visa Exemption Stamp", not a Visa, as you got 30 days on arrival. These can be extended once for 7 days at immigration for 1,900 Baht, not really cost effective.

A border run will get you a new stamp for 15 days, or 30 days when you fly in, also not really cost effective but meh.

What you need if you want to stay a bit longer is a REAL tourist visa. This is where your trip to Laos comes in handy.

You can take the train / bus / airplane / whatever to Laos, and show up at the Thai Embassy before noon. There you fill out an application form for a "Double Entry Tourist Visa" (they are free at the moment, so might as well get two - the maximum they'll give out)

Next day after 1pm you go back there and collect your passport with a shiny new visa.

Enter Thailand by whatever means you like again (planes, trains, automobiles) and get stamped in at the border for a nice 60 days.

If you want to stay longer afterwards, you can do any of the following:

- Extend this entry for another 30 days at immigration (1,900 Baht)

- Do a Border run to whatever border you like -BEFORE the date your visa expires (3 months)- and activate the second entry (60 days) (free*)

- Go back to Vientiane for a new 2x TR (free*)

* Except for the trip and any border fees to enter some countries.

With a bit of planning you can use this visa for a total period of almost 180 days (60 + 30 + 60 + 30), you lose one or two days due to the expiry date of the visa.

Laos entry visa fee (payable on arrival) is $35 for Dutch nationals, bring dollars, you overpay heavily if you want to pay in Baht, you even save money if you just change Baht for the $35 at an exchange booth beforehand.

I can personally recommend the train trip, take the overnight sleeper train to Nong Khai (Starting at around 500 Baht), there is a connecting train to Laos (20 Baht) waiting when you arrive.

Check the calendar beforehand as the Thai Embassy is closed on Thai and Laotian holidays, and week-ends. You should plan for an extra day in Laos, in case of delays.

Have a nice trip.

Getting a student visa based on Muay Thai is possible. In the region only a single non-ED, with a lettter fom the school that you have registere with them. The question is if you will also get an extension of stay, that will depend on the school. Some schools are able to do that, some are not. Always inquire about that beforehand.

OK,

Looks like you came in on a 'Visa Exemption Stamp", not a Visa, as you got 30 days on arrival. These can be extended once for 7 days at immigration for 1,900 Baht, not really cost effective.

A border run will get you a new stamp for 15 days, or 30 days when you fly in, also not really cost effective but meh.

What you need if you want to stay a bit longer is a REAL tourist visa. This is where your trip to Laos comes in handy.

You can take the train / bus / airplane / whatever to Laos, and show up at the Thai Embassy before noon. There you fill out an application form for a "Double Entry Tourist Visa" (they are free at the moment, so might as well get two - the maximum they'll give out)

Next day after 1pm you go back there and collect your passport with a shiny new visa.

Enter Thailand by whatever means you like again (planes, trains, automobiles) and get stamped in at the border for a nice 60 days.

If you want to stay longer afterwards, you can do any of the following:

- Extend this entry for another 30 days at immigration (1,900 Baht)

- Do a Border run to whatever border you like -BEFORE the date your visa expires (3 months)- and activate the second entry (60 days) (free*)

- Go back to Vientiane for a new 2x TR (free*)

* Except for the trip and any border fees to enter some countries.

With a bit of planning you can use this visa for a total period of almost 180 days (60 + 30 + 60 + 30), you lose one or two days due to the expiry date of the visa.

Laos entry visa fee (payable on arrival) is $35 for Dutch nationals, bring dollars, you overpay heavily if you want to pay in Baht, you even save money if you just change Baht for the $35 at an exchange booth beforehand.

I can personally recommend the train trip, take the overnight sleeper train to Nong Khai (Starting at around 500 Baht), there is a connecting train to Laos (20 Baht) waiting when you arrive.

Check the calendar beforehand as the Thai Embassy is closed on Thai and Laotian holidays, and week-ends. You should plan for an extra day in Laos, in case of delays.

Have a nice trip.

Thank you so very much for clarifying that. It's been a nightmare with everyone telling me different things! I really appreciate you taking the time to respond in such detail. I'm off to Laos!