Jade Plant

This is a Jade Plant

390Crassula_ovata_Bonsai2.jpg

Mine doesn't look anything like this, and in fact is just dying. I tried twice.

Being a succulent, it should like hot & dry conditions; I thought I killed my first one with too much water. However now in the hot season, my second one is dying as well.

Does anyone have success with these?

• 4 months later...

I have seen suculants break the rules in thailand. It may need more water than it is getting but not as much or maybe not as often as before. You might want to try more decayed leaves in the soil,with better drainage. If you can find Perlite, (google that) and add to new soil, transplant your jade into it. If by chance you can find Perlite, let me know where you found it. I have been looking for some time here in SamutSakohn with no success. Matter of fact, I havent seen any Jades in the nurseries here either.

I have seen suculants break the rules in thailand. It may need more water than it is getting but not as much or maybe not as often as before. You might want to try more decayed leaves in the soil,with better drainage. If you can find Perlite, (google that) and add to new soil, transplant your jade into it. If by chance you can find Perlite, let me know where you found it. I have been looking for some time here in SamutSakohn with no success. Matter of fact, I havent seen any Jades in the nurseries here either.

Winnie,

Did you get your Jade Plant in Chiang Mai ?

If so may I know where ?

I bought a few small succulents at Kamtian Flower Market behind the Lotus Superstore about two months. It is one of the stalls on the left hand side as you go into the Flower Market coming from Lotus Superstore.

I was advised by the woman seller that when reporting to use a growing medium that has excellent drainage and water the plant sparingly. For fertilizer a slow released one like Osmocote will do.

You can ask any succulent plant seller in the market for advice on growing the plant whether or not you buy any plant from him/her.

Not much help Winnie, but my mom managed to get jade plants to grow in rainy Portland Oregon. Alas I was a child and failed to grasp the justification of her pride in such an accomplishment.

That said, I do manage to succulents to grow on Koh p, just not something so fickle as a jade plant.