US Assistant Secretary Of State Campbell Meets Red-Shirts Protesters

webfact

The US government has a long time rule never to discuss or negotiate with terrorists. So why is the assistant secretary of state making an exception now? Is it because these terrorists are not threatening the US? Not only Thailand has double standards.

Look a little more closely at WHO he met with.

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not much point complaining to the Ambassador , his wife was reportedly recently seen having lunch openly at a luxury Hotel with Pojaman. Such a public meeting was to send a message to someone.

Team Takkie has played his cards better than the other mob. Maybe the new lawyers who are reportedly used to working in multi jurisdictional projects to restore democracy , justice (and Thaksin ) are earning their fee.

Wait , didn't Obama say no lobbyists were allowed under his plan.

Be a bit firkin daft NOT to talk to the reds, considering many/most people think that they would win an election right now.

May be your maid thinks so, but certainly not the majority of Thais

Are you suggesting his maid's opinion isn't important? What's the minimum income of a Thai citizen before he gets a right to vote? You have a very PAD-like attitude.

The US government has a long time rule never to discuss or negotiate with terrorists. So why is the assistant secretary of state making an exception now? Is it because these terrorists are not threatening the US? Not only Thailand has double standards.

\\

Amen and amen! My brother, who still lives in the states, has been trying to tell me what a disaster this administration is. Now it does this! On behalf of Americans, I apologize for my indescribably stupid government's actions!

\\

Amen and amen! My brother, who still lives in the states, has been trying to tell me what a disaster this administration is. Now it does this! On behalf of Americans, I apologize for my indescribably stupid government's actions!

I second that on the apology.

Campbell said he came to Bangkok not to mediate a break-through or back any outcome.

So why was he there? The report does not say if he was ordered to come. If he wasn't, he was colluding with named terrorists, and subject to US laws.

"More than 10 Democrats were also invited to attend the breakfast meeting, but none of them went. Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya and government spokesman Panitan Wattanayagorn also declined the invitation," a political source said.

Now, who could that political source have been, I wonder, I wonder......

I believe he was on his way to Myanmar, just a stopover.

The title is more than a little misleading....

I doubt any of the people he met with are living at the protest site. They aren't top tier protest leaders. Apparently he came and said "The US thinks Abhisit's plan is a good deal and you should take it."

Probably good advice. The mention of people trying to derail things was certainly aimed at Sae Daeng --- another of Thaksin's lackeys. So ... He comes .. meets with some senior Thaksin lackeys .. says :take the deal and control the violent end of your movement" --- all in very polite diplomatic language that doesn't cost anyone any face.

You can assume that the Dems knew what would be discussed and rather than be there ... they cgose to avoid recriminations and bad blood and having the Thaksin Lackies lose face by not being there.

(Read the article a little more closely and stop being knee-jerk reactionaries!)

Be a bit firkin daft NOT to talk to the reds, considering many/most people think that they would win an election right now.

Are you suggesting his maid's opinion isn't important? What's the minimum income of a Thai citizen before he gets a right to vote? You have a very PAD-like attitude.

Nothing to do with status, hi-so, lo-so, just plain objective analysis. The red supporters outnumber the yellow supporters. Its really that simple! Unless of course they have lost the support of the east and north. Maybe they feel the 'reds' are not working hard enough. But i doubt it. After all, they have martyrs now, Aphisit is on his way out... and mr T hasd a whopping great bank balance! But who knows...

post-50139-1273422634_thumb.jpg

I doubt any of the people he met with are living at the protest site. They aren't top tier protest leaders. Apparently he came and said "The US thinks Abhisit's plan is a good deal and you should take it."

Probably good advice. The mention of people trying to derail things was certainly aimed at Sae Daeng --- another of Thaksin's lackeys. So ... He comes .. meets with some senior Thaksin lackeys .. says :take the deal and control the violent end of your movement" --- all in very polite diplomatic language that doesn't cost anyone any face.

You can assume that the Dems knew what would be discussed and rather than be there ... they cgose to avoid recriminations and bad blood and having the Thaksin Lackies lose face by not being there.

(Read the article a little more closely and stop being knee-jerk reactionaries!)

Regardless of the reasons why, good or bad, the US still has no business getting mixed up in this. No knee jerk reaction there.

Could you imagine Kasit mediating the health care debate in the US?

\\

Actually, this Obama administration is cleaning up all the mess from the last two, so who can do better? Pailin with a dash of McCain on the side? Yeah right.

But I must agree that the Americans have no business sticking their fat noses in this Thai family feud. Bunch of asses. What benefit is there at this time to come out and be seen with either party?!

Oh, wait a minute. Unless they know something that we don't? Are they getting ready to wag that dog again? Time to increase the US stock in rice perhaps?

Haha...just what does money have do to with it anyway?

If his maid was Burmese, then she can't vote anyway.

Off topic. Interesting you use the name Che Guevara... chosen nicely. Did you know that Che was a mass murderer and a wanted Terrorist?

That he jailed gays just for being gay?

Che was also a serious Communist who had no intention of allowing free speach, free elections or much else.

Quote from Che Guevara: “I have no house, wife, children, parents, or brothers; my friends are friends as long as they think like me, politically."

Interesting hey?

You should think better before you choose a poster hero.

che-comandante-asesino.jpg

Regardless of the reasons why, good or bad, the US still has no business getting mixed up in this. No knee jerk reaction there.

It was also Kasit who asked at Hopkins University recently that the Americans should get involved. Strange, isn't it. http://www.sais-jhu.edu/news-and-events/index.htm

@THANONG KHANTHONG. Your use of hyphens drives me crazy! Learn to write.

@ most everyone else, learn to read! The US Asst. Sec, of State said and I quote form the article: "Restraint and foresight are critical for both sides at this time. However, it must be said that we remain cautious about progress as those who don't want peace or political progress continue to employ violence as a means to undermine resolution of political differences, like the unfortunate shooting on Friday night that resulted in a loss of lives," he said.

"In addition to those injured directly, political violence damages the reputation of the nation, undermines democratic institutions and legal mechanisms for dispute resolution. We call on both sides to urge restraint and to firmly commit to a process of peaceful reconciliation in support of the rule of law and the pursuit of a just and democratic outcome."

The writer of the article, who cannot write properly, put some of their own spin on it, before actually quoting what the man said... But read into it whatever you want! What don't you understand in the statement, "we remain cautious about progress as those who don't want peace or political progress continue to employ violence as a means to undermine resolution of political differences." How does that support the red shirt agenda? They were the promoters of the violence, where they not?

You can assume that the Dems knew what would be discussed and rather than be there ... they chose to avoid recriminations and bad blood and having the Thaksin Lackies lose face by not being there.

:) Thailand is a major regional US ally. The guy met publicly with some folks that could send the message up the food chain saying that the US backs Abhisit's peace plan and for them to get people on board. He did this publicly as opposed to backchannel communications. Transparent as you could ask for.

Instead of knee-jerk reactions --- look at the message

2 messages

1) Get onboard

2) Get your boys under control

It is already rumoured that the NSA/CIA etc are giving the government help with tracking money and communications .... this was just ratcheting up the pressure on the Reds to get in line.

@THANONG KHANTHONG. Your use of hyphens drives me crazy! Learn to write.

@ most everyone else, learn to read! The US Asst. Sec, of State said and I quote form the article: "Restraint and foresight are critical for both sides at this time. However, it must be said that we remain cautious about progress as those who don't want peace or political progress continue to employ violence as a means to undermine resolution of political differences, like the unfortunate shooting on Friday night that resulted in a loss of lives," he said.

"In addition to those injured directly, political violence damages the reputation of the nation, undermines democratic institutions and legal mechanisms for dispute resolution. We call on both sides to urge restraint and to firmly commit to a process of peaceful reconciliation in support of the rule of law and the pursuit of a just and democratic outcome."

The writer of the article, who cannot write properly, put some of their own spin on it, before actually quoting what the man said... But read into it whatever you want! What don't you understand in the statement, "we remain cautious about progress as those who don't want peace or political progress continue to employ violence as a means to undermine resolution of political differences." How does that support the red shirt agenda? They were the promoters of the violence, where they not?

As long as he doesn't appear on the red stage he can have concerns as much as he wants, and quite rightly so.

It is a shame so few appear to have actually READ the full article,

and yet still sound off based on their prejudices and a partial reading with little

consideration of players and context. I agree the title IS misleading.

JD and Elcent got the closest to usable commentary.

Maybe his maid isn't Thai

The US should have sent a formal statement through the US Ambassador or embassy. NOT try to have some 'breaking bread' breakfast expecting the anti-government protesters and government to sit down together. How idiotic can you be? 'Daddy USA' would like the two fighting siblings to come to the table and eat? That's why the democrats didn't show up. The dude just gave a platform of credibility and recognition to the current enemy to the state. The Abhisit administration is the government (whether we like it or not) and if the so called communication lines of diplomacy are to be honored, than the US should have shown it by making a statement through the US Embassy directly to the current Thai government, not invite them to a stupid breakfast.

What would the conversation be at the buffet line? "Hey Noppadon, did you catch American Idol last night?" said PM Abhisit as he filled his plate with pancakes and fresh strawberries.

Or maybe I'm wrong, the breakfast was probably at Burger King, and everyone knows they don't have a buffet.

Edited by tomyummer

The US should have sent a formal statement through the US Ambassador or embassy. NOT try to have some 'breaking bread' breakfast expecting the anti-government protesters and government to sit down together. How idiotic can you be? Daddy USA would like the two fighting siblings to come to the table and eat? It's like giving the so called 'terrorists' recognition. That's why the democrats didn't show up. The Abhisit administration is the government (whether we like it or not) and if the so called communication lines of diplomacy are to be honored, than the US should have shown it by making a statement through the US Embassy directly to the current Thai government.

I bet the breakfast was held at Burger King.

:)

They haven't won anything yet. Until they do, the US has no business getting involved.

You should go to the US Embassy first thing tomorrow morning and lodge a formal complaint. I'm sure your opinion will make them change their mind :)

Better hope they don't find out about you or the americans might do what they did to the real Che.

and yet still sound off based on their prejudices and a partial reading with little

byte me! ..... "closest to usable"

Off topic. Interesting you use the name Che Guevara... chosen nicely. Did you know that Che was a mass murderer and a wanted Terrorist?

Che was also a serious Communist who had no intention of allowing free speach, free elections or much else.

Quote from Che Guevara: “I have no house, wife, children, parents, or brothers; my friends are friends as long as they think like me, politically."

Interesting hey?

He choose carefully only he took the wrong background color :)

\\

I second that on the apology.

Bush really made almost kind of a lifestyle out of the word "terrorist", didn't he? Pushed it so deep into some people's heads that it's hard to get out. "Either you're with us or you're a terrorist!" Ordinary Americans should be apologizing to the rest of the world for people that think that way, not the other way around. Can't believe some people are still stuck in the Bush-Hillbilly era. :)

Maybe his maid isn't Thai

What a convenient way to avoid the question. When the original poster is ready to answer it, feel free to come back. Until then, you know you're wrong. :)

byte me! ..... "closest to usable"

I byt my tongue too earlier while i was byting a piece off from my sandwich.

Quote from Che Guevara: "I have no house, wife, children, parents, or brothers; my friends are friends as long as they think like me, politically."

Interesting hey?

Well put, the U.S.A. should learn from the Chinese. Do not overtly intervene in another country's internal affairs. I feel the USA should pull all support from Japan and South Korea, 60 years is enough! They want to play kissy face with N. Korea, good let them do it without the USA backing and see what happens. Kick the do nothing UN out of NYC you can have it Paris. Pull all support from NATO. The USA can defend itself no problem, you bomb Times Square you get a thousand in return, no boots on the ground, the sky will fall on your country. The gloves must come off sometime. Solve your own problems, most Americans are sick of hearing about all the worlds shit that they bring on themselves and then scapegoat the US. Thats my rant for tonight.

Even as an American, I am shocked that this ill-informed bureaucrat sticks his nose in something that is none of his business, and probably nothing he really knows about... I am sure he got a heavy briefing before he met with the red shirts, but still, that was not enough. His statements to the effect that he supported the UDD are shocking.

I am deeply disappointed in an uninformed government clone trying to saddle up next to the red shirts in an effort to come across as some hero.

Shame, shame...

Quote from Che Guevara: "I have no house, wife, children, parents, or brothers; my friends are friends as long as they think like me, politically."

Interesting hey?

Wow, you're missing the point here. Why are you discussing Che Guevara here? This post is about the US Assistant Secretary of State meeting with the red shirts, not about Che Guevara. You're taking this way too personal by going into the history of my forum username. I'm not going to say anything else about this, other than you need to go outside a bit more. Seriously.

"...Campbell's statement reflects Washington's support for the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD)'s campaign..."

This above quote is DEEPLY DISTURBING.... and when I read his quotes, he is just a mouthpiece... and an ill-informed one at that.... Now this behavior gives the U.S. a very very very bad name.... Sorry folks... I do not support this interfering!