Jet-ski Saga

I was in a bar watching football last night in Phuket. There were a group of young guys in there from Australia.

They were not rowdy or rude, just a bunch of nice guys coming to the end of their holiday.

I got talking to a couple of them. It was a first time trip here for most of them. They'd been round most of the islands down south.

But what annoyed me was when they told me about being scammed for 82,000 baht in Samui by the jet ski operators.

82,000 baht!! These crooks aren't messing about!

It was the same old story of them being accused of crashing. Maybe they did but I have no reason to believe they would lie to me in a bar in Phuket.

They were threatened with DEATH. "There are nine of you. I have fifty guys. You no pay by 6pm we will shoot you and kill you"

These kids seemed still a bit shaken up by it. The great institution...Tourist Police offered no help at all to them. Told them they'd get help and then disappeared. It was the same with their embassy. "We'll call you back" but never did.

They went to the police station and said the cops were so blatantly in on it, just laughing and joking with the jet ski guys.

Their should be a warning from holiday companies and embassies not to rent jet skis in Thailand at all.

It can be really scary out here being threatened and intimidated by groups of thugs with guns...it's always groups... they're never alone...

Ban jetskis? Yeah ok right. :)

However these tourists should each be writing strong letters to their tour operator letting them know and demanding action. At least then might see some warnings given to tourists. The whole business is a disgrace.

Edited by smokie36

However these tourists should each be writing strong letters to their tour operator letting them know and demanding action. At least then might see some warnings given to tourists. The whole business is a disgrace.

I didn't mention to ban jet-skis... but there should be strong warnings in place from embassies and holiday companies..

I didn't mention to ban jet-skis... but there should be strong warnings in place from embassies and holiday companies..

i agree, eventually the jetski operators will come to their own demise as word will get out, akin to the gems scams in bkk in years gone by

I would be stupid to rent a vehicle I have no history of, from a total stranger with dodgy tattoos and the sign "No Insurance boldly written on the said vehicle.

Its like going bareback on a 50 yr old career prostitute who have never been to the hospital in her life time and whose previous regulars can no longer be reached or contacted ever.

I would be stupid to rent a vehicle I have no history of, from a total stranger with dodgy tattoos and the sign "No Insurance boldly written on the said vehicle.

Its like going bareback on a 50 yr old career prostitute who have never been to the hospital in her life time and whose previous regulars can no longer be reached or contacted ever.

'its like going bareback' hmmm - who are you? I know a few people that use that expression & its not mainstream..

I remember back in the mid ninetys the Royal Gardens Hotel Pattaya had small cards in each of their rooms advising guests of the scams and problems of renting jet-ski's!

Edited by davyboy

Same thing happened in Phuket to people I know about a year ago.

36,000thb and they surrounded and held one guy hostage while the ladies had to go to the bank.

36,000thb and they surrounded and held one guy hostage while the ladies had to go to the bank.

Their demands seem to be rising as well. I met a bloke in 2005 who had been hit for 20k Baht. Where will it all end I wonder... :D

Anyone who rents a jet ski at this point is a complete fool. There has been more than ample press warnings about these scams and only a fool would expose himself to that, especially for something he could do cheaper at home. Maybe someday they will scam someone who actually has some balls and will do something about it. If there is no legal recourse there is no reason to feel any restraints based on conscience and there is always a way to get even.

Anyone who rents a jet ski at this point is a complete fool. There has been more than ample press warnings about these scams and only a fool would expose himself to that, especially for something he could do cheaper at home. Maybe someday they will scam someone who actually has some balls and will do something about it. If there is no legal recourse there is no reason to feel any restraints based on conscience and there is always a way to get even.

Here's an Idea. copy this text in to word.doc. etc

Please print this and take it on your next flight to Thailand Add / Edit more scams as you feel fit.

Thailand

Wealth Warning

Please Read this, then pass too the next Westerner seated near you.

Thailand airport scam

Beware if you buy ANYTHING in the airport, it has be said that you also get a FREE GIFT an item is placed in with your purchase. Allegations have been made that a number of passengers are being detained every month in the duty free area on suspicion of shoplifting, and then held by the police until they pay large sums of money to buy their freedom. Note- Best avoid all duty free shops.

Holiday Club Scams & Time Share.

Beware scratch and win holiday / time share card and all time share touts. TIME SHARE in Thailand is illegal and you will lose your deposit or full payment if you are foolish enough to pay.

Jet Ski Scams

NEVER RENT A JET SKI IN THAILAND EVER. Fraudsters, usually working with the cooperation of local police force high payments out of tourists for alleged damage. Rent a Jet Ski anywhere in Thailand could cost you more than you have paid for your whole holiday. This scam is well documented world wide BEWARE.

Thai gem scam

If ANYONE mentions ANYTHING about gemstones to you, just walk away. This is the oldest of all the Thailand scams. Don’t fall for the promise of making money with gems, Oh I mean pieces of glass.

Tuk-tuks

These guys are such con-artists that they usually end up making more than what a regular AC taxi with meter would cost. Be ready – everywhere you go they will be pressuring you for a ride and they are masters at Thailand scams! Always, always, always negotiate a price before you get inside a tuk-tuk. Make sure you make it known it’s the whole price you are paying not PER PERSON.

Taxi scam

There isn’t a working taxi meter in the entire country – or so they say. Taxi drivers will almost never use the meter for foreigners, choosing rather to negotiate and make a better profit. Simply insist that a driver use the meter before you get inside – this is an easy Thailand scam to avoid.

I've spent a lot of time on Thailand's beaches, and only ever seen 2 problems with the jet ski guys. Firstly, in Patong, an American guy had a crash - minor damage, they negotiated a settlement of around 15k. The American was obviously very rich, so no huge amounts of haggling from either side. The second was more interesting - a group from the middle east rented skis in pattaya - they obviously had problems and one ski came back vertical - the operators had to tow it back with a speedboat, which wasn't easy. Anyway, there followed about two hours negotiation - the punters held their ground, working as a team. They were polite and persausive. Eventually, all the thais left, except one, who finally and reluctantly accepted their offer - 1,000b. That's 1k for a completely destroyed jet ski.

I suspect many farang are just not used to negotiation, and thais know it.

if someone is really compelled to rent a jet ski ( or any other transport) get it from a reptuable ( no laffing now since this is about thailand) hotel rental, pay with your credit card ( one that gives you automatic insurance on rentals)

any problems, let the cc company deal with it.

on a side note, last october I was walking about in patong, and got an ear full of a thai motor bike renter telling some unlucky farang he owed sever thousand bht for getting a flat type on the bike.

Just wanted to post here and say I've successfully rented a jetski in Patong and wasn't extorted. This was probably 3 years back.

Have also rented motorcycles/scooters, and had them break on me twice. Nothing out of pocket. Just an apology from the rental guy. That includes one guy renting the motorcycles on Beach Road in Patong.

Either I'm lucky, or they can tell I don't have any money to extort. ;-)

Trips to Mexico on the other hand, haven't turned out so well.

ThaiBrat you forgot the biggest scam of all.

The Police Scam

Do not make the mistake of thinking the police in Thailand are there to maintain law and order or to help people who are the victims of crimes and scams. The police are a money making business and will only add another layer of surcharges, grief and humiliation to your problems.

ThaiBrat you forgot the biggest scam of all.

The Police Scam

Do not make the mistake of thinking the police in Thailand are there to maintain law and order or to help people who are the victims of crimes and scams. The police are a money making business and will only add another layer of surcharges, grief and humiliation to your problems.

One more reason to avoid Phuket.

For a funny incident I actually broke down a jet-ski in Pattaya - apparently the cable for steering either rupture or got loose and the jetski wouldn't steer at all - probably because of the choppy sea and my rough handling. After a few minutes the jetski guys finally noticed me signalling to them, and came to pick me up. This was Pattaya so I was fearing the worst but they didn't charge me for a single baht and even gave me another jetski and 20 more minutes to play with it. So they're not all that bad. Used jetski several times in Koh Samet too and never had any trouble.

Here's an Idea. copy this text in to word.doc. etc

Please print this and take it on your next flight to Thailand Add / Edit more scams as you feel fit.

Thailand

Wealth Warning

Please Read this, then pass too the next Westerner seated near you.

Thailand airport scam

Beware if you buy ANYTHING in the airport, it has be said that you also get a FREE GIFT an item is placed in with your purchase. Allegations have been made that a number of passengers are being detained every month in the duty free area on suspicion of shoplifting, and then held by the police until they pay large sums of money to buy their freedom. Note- Best avoid all duty free shops.

Holiday Club Scams & Time Share.

Beware scratch and win holiday / time share card and all time share touts. TIME SHARE in Thailand is illegal and you will lose your deposit or full payment if you are foolish enough to pay.

Jet Ski Scams

NEVER RENT A JET SKI IN THAILAND EVER. Fraudsters, usually working with the cooperation of local police force high payments out of tourists for alleged damage. Rent a Jet Ski anywhere in Thailand could cost you more than you have paid for your whole holiday. This scam is well documented world wide BEWARE.

Thai gem scam

If ANYONE mentions ANYTHING about gemstones to you, just walk away. This is the oldest of all the Thailand scams. Don't fall for the promise of making money with gems, Oh I mean pieces of glass.

Tuk-tuks

These guys are such con-artists that they usually end up making more than what a regular AC taxi with meter would cost. Be ready – everywhere you go they will be pressuring you for a ride and they are masters at Thailand scams! Always, always, always negotiate a price before you get inside a tuk-tuk. Make sure you make it known it's the whole price you are paying not PER PERSON.

Taxi scam

There isn't a working taxi meter in the entire country – or so they say. Taxi drivers will almost never use the meter for foreigners, choosing rather to negotiate and make a better profit. Simply insist that a driver use the meter before you get inside – this is an easy Thailand scam to avoid.

You forgot the motorcycles for rent!

Stay as far as possible from the muslim guys/girls on Pattaya beach road, who have motorcycles for rent.

They use thesame tactics as the jetski scum. You rent a motorbike, the moment you bring it back theyrs a scratch or more, somewhere on the bike.....Seen the discussions over and over for many years. And at the end (with or without the police) you pay, thats for sure!