True Cutting Out Chiang Mai

nikster

I am using True 3G on an iPhone in Chiang Mai at the moment. The service seems to go down regularly, e.g. every 30 minutes or 1 hour, the signal drops to 0 and I get the "searching"... display, then it pops back at full 5 bar strength.

I have had at least 2 calls dropped because of it. I have also at times been unable to make a call. Never seen anything like this on DTAC or AIS (never had a call drop before in Thailand, actually). Internet tethering is also affected as it's interrupted when the signal cuts out.

Anyone else seeing this on True with or without iPhone? I think it might be the iPhone switching from 3G to 2G or something weird about the "trial" 3G signal here in Chiang Mai... or it's my phone... but like I said never had this problem on AIS using the very same phone. Then again AIS doesn't have 3G...

I got the same, but I didn't notice it happening that often, mostly because I wasn't on the phone much.

3G is a trial service - you'd have to expect some bugs. If it's too bad you can force the phone to use GSM/EDGE (in Settings - General - Network - Enable 3G (switch off)).

Thanks for the confirmation. I didn't really expect 3G in Chiang Mai so it's OK, and when it works it's pretty fast... not complaining too much... I know I could switch to EDGE but I don't... 3G is too nice, even if it cuts out :)

Actually... I updated to 3.1.3 (new baseband) and no disconnects since... will monitor but I know for sure that prior to this I never had 2 hours of uninterrupted internet. Now the VPN has been up for 2 hours straight, meaning there were no disconnects for 2 hours.