What Happens With Your Visa After A Job Contract Ends?

Hello,

I had a work visa and permit, but I ended my contract for my job in March. Since then I have not been working, and in fact I did not even think about my visa.

Can someone tell me what happens in this situation? What do I need to do with my visa now? Get a new tourist visa?

Thanks for the help

What was the basis of your permission to stay?

If extension of stay based on employment, then you should have left the country on your last day of working and are now on overstay. Fine is 500 baht a day max 20,000 baht. Buy an air ticket out of the country. You will get a small overstay stamp put in passport but does not affect re-entry or obtaining another visa.

If on 90 day visa entry you can stay until your permission to stay expires. If holding multiple entry Non-immigrant visa can obtain new 90 day entries by border run whilst visa remains valid.

You do not advise your situation, but if married to Thai, have Thai child or plan to study there may be options.

Otherwise within the region Vientiane will issue double entry tourist visa which, with extensions and a border run in the middle will give nearly 6 months stay. Phnom Penh also recently started issuing double entry tourist visa, but based on history, that may change when free visa promotion starts 11 May. Or take a trip to Perth for 12 month Non-O visa based on visiting friends - will need signed copy of passport/ID card of Thai friend plus a short note from them requesting visa issue.

Leave the country and return on another visa.

DON'T say a word just go get a tourist visa or whatever if you want to come back.

Will doing this affect my fine in any way?

And if my fine is already at 20,000 thb, and I am planning on leaving the country to work in another country (and I have no plans to return as of yet), what's the best thing I can do?

Again, I am new to all of this... but my international friend reported seeing people give bribes at the immigration office (they weren't sure if that's what was happening) in order to waver fees... does anyone else have experience in this?

Of course I just want to avoid paying this fine, and be able to leave the country.

"What was the basis of your permission to stay? "

It was based on employment. I had a tourist visa first, then a non-immigrant B visa.

Edited by derekhhh

Leave the country and return on another visa.

DON'T say a word just go get a tourist visa or whatever if you want to come back.

Will doing this affect my fine in any way?

And if my fine is already at 20,000 thb, and I am planning on leaving the country to work in another country (and I have no plans to return as of yet), what's the best thing I can do?

Again, I am new to all of this... but my international friend reported seeing people give bribes at the immigration office (they weren't sure if that's what was happening) in order to waver fees... does anyone else have experience in this?

Of course I just want to avoid paying this fine, and be able to leave the country.

"What was the basis of your permission to stay? "

It was based on employment. I had a tourist visa first, then a non-immigrant B visa.

If you are caught before you leave by the police you will go to jail. Get yourself an airline ticket go to the airport check in go to custom control pay the fine (20K) NO BRIBE and leave. This will not effect you in anyway if you are to return.