Uk Visit Or Tourist Visa?

I have lived in Thailand for 3.5 years permantley now, with my GF, my daughter recently e-mailed me stating that she was getting married in mid-september this year, of course dad has to be there, and my gf, [gf is the owner of a large beauty salon and wants to do her hair,make-up ect, ]

I realise that she has to prove reasons to return ect, which is not a problem,

1 she has blue book, she has tax reciepts from local goverment for buisness, son is in Madihol Uni, daughter is doing entry exams for the same,

2We have many pics of us together, at home or on her 40rai farm,

3, i have many letters from my Uk bank and family, plus PP stamps,

4, I have an english bank acc which shows a good sum,

5, can we do this by post, avoiding the trip to BBk,

Also, i can arrange a flight pattern with dates [without booking] and the relevant sponsors letters from my brothers and mum,

Would e-mailed letters be accepted, even with passport numbers included?

And an official invitation to the wedding?

Thanks for all replys,,,,

Just to end, my Passport has 3 years to go, but i only have 5 pages left, does anybody think i could get this renewed while in UK?

Thanks, Lickey..

Edited by Lickey

First of all congratulations on the forthcoming wedding Lickey, your girlfriend shouldn't have any problems getting a visa but make sure she puts in a robust application and don't take anything for granted.

As you have been living together for the time you have you can apply for a family visit, so then in the unlikely event that a visa is refused you would then have the right of appeal.

Because you live in Thailand should make the application pretty straight forward but make sure you supply all the papers and proof of you together, add an index to the pack pointing out the various parts of the application so that the ECO doesn't need to plough through everything. In your covering letter explain that you are together and that your future is in Thailand, I would give copies of your permission to stay as well as details of your small-holding.

Your proven relationship coupled with the salon should be adequate to prove the reason to return but I would provide details of who is going to manage the business during your time in the UK, a mate of mine had his visa declined because he didn't do this and the ECO was concerned that he was abandoning the business. Have you travelled outside of Thailand together? if so provide details with corresponding passport stamps.

The letters from your family are not strictly speaking sponsorship letters, you will be the sponsor, but they build up a picture of the purpose of the trip and emailed letters are usually ok, but I would add the actual emails with the headers that proves you haven't simply written them yourselves, and yes include the invitation. Have a look at this regarding the supporting documents http://www.vfs-uk-th.com/images/VisitSpous...InThailand).pdf

Unfortunately a trip to Bangkok is required as the biometric details have to be taken when the application and supporting documents are lodged, even if you apply on-line. You can however have the passport returned by courier, so you don't need to wait in Bangkok for the result.

To sum up you should have no problem, just ensure that the application is easy to read and leaves no doubt as to the reason for the trip, your relationship in Thailand and the reason to return.

Yes, you can apply for a new passport in the UK and it's considerably cheaper, the details under "applying for a passport in the UK" http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for...ports/how-apply the only thing I am not too sure about is transferring the Thai extension stamps, though I presume you would enter with the old passport and new passport then get the stamps transferred.

VAT2.4 What is a family visitor?

The same as for a visitor. Under the Immigration Appeals (Family Visitor) Regulations 2003, a family visitor is defined as someone who intends to visit someone who is related to them in the following way:

1. the applicant's spouse, father, mother, son, daughter, grandfather, grandmother, grandson, granddaughter, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, nephew, niece or first cousin (note: "first cousin" means, in relation to a person, the son or daughter of his uncle or aunt);
  2. the father, mother, brother or sister of the applicant's spouse;
  3. the spouse of the applicant's son or daughter;
  4. the applicant's stepfather, stepmother, stepson, stepdaughter, stepbrother or stepsister; or
  5. a person with whom the applicant has lived as a member of an unmarried couple for at least two of the three years before the day on which his application for entry clearance was made.

Hi Old Git, a brilliant detailed reply, thankyou,,

We did make the trip 2.5 years ago to UK, and it doesnt seem like much has changed, Sister will look after the salon, as she did before, so no problem there,

I checked GFs passport and it runs out in Dec 2010, so will get that renewed anyway, [dont need any hicups at Heathrow,,]and she can take both to immigration in BKK.

Old Git,when you say add the headers to the e-mails, could you explain what you mean please, Just so i get it right, thanks,

TVE, definitley a famliy visit visa, thanks for your input,,

TOG, next time you are in Namsom, fish chips& mushy peas & beers are on me, Cheers, Lickey & Pan..

Hi Lickey

All I mean by the email headers is that if your family send a letter as a word document make sure sure you copy the email that it comes with or undead the full email if the invite comes is in email form, it just proves the email or letter is checkable, even if not necessary, and not just something you have knocked up yourselves.

Speak soon

just renewed my girlfriends visa, usually we fly direct to england, but flights are so bloody expensive im considering a stop off, do you know off the top of your head if her visa allows that, its her 2nd general visitor visa.

thanks in advance, with the embassy shutting, i didnt know where else to ask

If you are talking about an indirect direct flight with one of the Gulf States airlines you will be OK as you will remain in transit airside. If you are considering stopping off for a day or two it then is not as straightforward as it depends where you will be transiting.

The BE probably wouldn't help as they are only able to advise on entry requirements into the UK.