Thai Deputy PM Suthep Meets Investigators Over Crackdown

webfact

Thai deputy PM meets investigators over crackdown

by Anusak Konglang

BANGKOK (AFP) -- Thailand's deputy premier met criminal investigators Tuesday over his role in a deadly crackdown on "Red Shirt" protesters, who are refusing to disperse until he surrenders to police.

Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaungsuban, who was overseeing security on April 10 when armed troops attempted to clear part of the capital, went to the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) to hear a complaint against him.

But the Reds seemed unsatisfied with his talks with the DSI -- which is Thailand's equivalent of the US Federal Bureau of Investigation and supervised by the justice ministry. They demanded Suthep go to the police instead.

"Suthep just acted to fool people," said a protest leader, Kwanchai Praipana. "If the government fails to show sincerity we are ready to retaliate," he said from a stage at the rally site in central Bangkok.

Thailand is reeling from the worst political violence in almost two decades, with a total of 29 people killed and almost 1,000 injured in a series of confrontations and attacks in the capital.

Twenty five people died on April 10 after a crackdown sparked violent street battles between troops and protesters, who have occupied part of Bangkok for two months, demanding elections to replace the government.

Suthep, who faces complaints from relatives of some of those who died, told reporters that he was willing to enter the justice process and expected to be exonerated because the capital was under emergency rule.

"The public can be reassured that the state of emergency gives protection to all security forces involved in the crackdown operation," he said.

Protest leaders have signed up to embattled Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva's reconciliation roadmap to November elections, but want the deputy premier to be charged over the April 10 incident.

"This time we will not allow murderers to escape and our condition is clear that all of those in the tyrannical government responsible for killing should be fairly prosecuted," said another protest leader, Weng Tojirakarn.

The Red Shirts called for the government to lift the state of emergency so the protesters could return home safely, but army chief General Anupong Paojinda said the special laws would remain in place until order was restored.

Leaders of the mainly poor and working class Reds, who broadly support fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra, asked a Bangkok court Tuesday for arrest warrants against them to be dropped, but their petition was rejected.

The protest movement said Monday that it had no objection to Abhisit's proposal to dissolve parliament in the second half of September for elections on November 14, dropping a previous demand for a specific dissolution date.

Abhisit has warned he will scrap the plan for early elections if the protesters do not leave their vast base, which has been fortified with barricades made from piles of fuel-soaked tyres, bamboo poles and razor wire.

Crowds at the Reds' camp, which swelled to as many as 100,000 people in the early days, dwindled to just a few thousand last week as a resolution appeared near and thunder storms dumped heavy rain on the garbage-strewn protest site.

But their ranks were boosted over the weekend by 5,000 more supporters who arrived from the movement's heartland in the impoverished rural northeast, defying a ban on rallies in the capital, which is under a state of emergency.

The Reds consider Abhisit's administration undemocratic because it came to power in a 2008 parliamentary vote after a controversial court ruling ousted elected allies of Thaksin, who was himself unseated in a 2006 coup.

afplogo.jpg

-- ©Copyright AFP 2010-05-11

Published with written approval from AFP.

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Time to for mark and Co to send in the troops and send the reds back home, this charade has been going on way too long.

Reds keep on coming up with excuses, government has been more then patient enough.

Love the part where they write :Crowds at the Reds' camp, which swelled to as many as 100,000 people in the early days, dwindled to just a few thousand last week as a resolution appeared near and thunder storms dumped heavy rain on the garbage-strewn protest site.

Never heard of trash bins?

Edited by likewise

Time to for mark and Co to send in the troops and send the reds back home, this charade has been going on way too long.

Reds keep on coming up with excuses, government has been more then patient enough.

Love the part where they write :Crowds at the Reds' camp, which swelled to as many as 100,000 people in the early days, dwindled to just a few thousand last week as a resolution appeared near and thunder storms dumped heavy rain on the garbage-strewn protest site.

The city stopped collecting trash from the area after some Red Shirts supposedly hijacked a trash truck. It wouldn't surprise if it became a health menace.

The city stopped collecting trash from the area after some Red Shirts supposedly hijacked a trash truck. It wouldn't surprise if it became a health menace.

Trash bins :)

Crowds at the Reds' camp, which swelled to as many as 100,000 people in the early days, dwindled to just a few thousand last week as a resolution appeared near and thunder storms dumped heavy rain on the garbage-strewn protest site.

And today, it was down to a few hundred at the site when I visited, and yes, garbage is all around.

The best the Red Shirts can hope for is a general amnesty that covers the non-combatants. The government isn't going to indite itself for using lethal force in a reckless manner when the Red shirts were infiltrated by black-hooded militia bearing M-16s.

Edited by misterjag

After reading through the red shirt rally update I cannot stop thinking about a comic book : Reds will not turn themselves in on May 15, Reds will turn themselves in today at 2pm, Reds' lawyers deny that they will turn themselves in, Suthep has to go to police not DSI......... Min of tranport has trains on standby the send protesters home yet they have to ask for it :)

This is just ridiculous, go home, stay, go home, hmm hang on, urgh, ok maybe, go home, nono, stay.........let's have another meeting about it, 555555 this is worse then kindergarden :D

And people like that want to get elected and run the country?? :D

Edited by likewise

The bottom line is Abhisit wants this over by next week when Thai schools open. He doesn't want the Reds' hard corps to take target practice when there are little school children running around. Hence, while Abhisit has been worried about the women and children in Redtown, he fears that the Reds won't be worried about the children in the rest of Bangkok.

The Reds are seriously running out of time.

The bottom line is Abhisit wants this over by next week when Thai schools open. He doesn't want the Reds' hard corps to take target practice when there are little school children running around. Hence, while Abhisit has been worried about the women and children in Redtown, he fears that the Reds won't be worried about the children in the rest of Bangkok.

Presumably those protesters with children will have to depart to their home provinces as well? Assuming they care about their children's education and welfare that is. Big if.

Presumably those protesters with children will have to depart to their home provinces as well? Assuming they care about their children's education and welfare that is. Big if.

That is a big part of the problem. The mothers with their children are earning a good salary being there, and they have never had such attention given to them. They now feel important and want to believe that the government won't crack down on them and they get inspiration from the Red leaders and entertainers on stage each evening.

However, on the government's side is the fear that with schools opening next week, this has to, simply has to be over by then. Abhisit and Suthep have bent over backwards, but still the Reds debate what they said they would agree to.

They are seriously running out of time. The leaders know this and people like Seh Daeng couldn't care less. Remember that Seh Daeng's daughter was protesting with the PAD while her father was threatening violence against the PAD. The fear is this guy and his crew will not care about the school children. Hence, this will be over one way or another by this weekend.

Who is in charge here, the govt or the reds. It seems pretty obvious that the former is not doing anything.

What about the yellows, they haven't done anything of any note yet apart from asking Abisit to resign.

Somebody must have plenty of money to be funding the reds for the last few months.

It is a health manace. I walked from Siam Sq so3 to the Red Area and 20 meter from the area I could smell of the urine so I turned around

It is a health manace. I walked from Siam Sq so3 to the Red Area and 20 meter from the area I could smell of the urine so I turned around

A dream!

Ok, they passed the deadline, they haven't left. The leaders have made open threats of "retaliating" which we know translates to doing. They will keep playing this game as long as they can until they are stopped.

And today, it was down to a few hundred at the site when I visited, and yes, garbage is all around.

People saw the rain so they thought they could start growing their rice/other crops and that the drought must be almost over.

I have never heard such rubbish in all my life, even in 3rd world countries

where a Government under a special order must defend them selves to an unlawfull protest

The PM and deputy are loosing face to the Thai people who need to learn to respect their leaders

Why do we need an election in Thailand when the red shirts are already running the country from the streets

The government see to answer Mai Pen Rai

Law of the streets is now the law of the day

The Red shirt leader can not and will not stop the protest the risk to them selves is to high

Democracy is out the window and protection for them selves is most important

Mr. PM if you think this is going to end you are only fooling your self

Time to clear the streets of these rats, the responsibility for any one getting hurt is their own fault

You Mr. PM have set a presidence for any future protests as it will be IT WAS OKAY FOR THE REDS

Why does the government waste time? The RED will want something else even if police charges the Deputy PM

Their objective to destroy Thailand or make it very weak

Suthep should just let himself get arrested. With the Thai judicial system he will be out on bail in '2 minutes' for the paltry sum of 50,000 baht.

Some of the Red leaders seem to forget that 'they' are out on bail. Are they not violating bail conditions for their continued demonstrations.

Bloody joke.....

I don't know what things are like after 5000 more people entered the Rajprasong intersection area over the past weekend, but I walked every inch of that camp on 3 May and it was VERY well maintained. I just reviewed the 200+ photos I took that day and can find no evidence to support the claim that this place was garbage strewn, at least while I was on the scene.

They have large plastic bags everywhere for collecting garbage and everyone is using them. I stood next to the huge truck on property that is clearly being used to haul off refuse. The smell of urine reported by one individual is coming from two large buses that have been converted into portable toilet facilities. They do create an odor, but the waste is clearly being collected and not dumped on the street.

I have lived in BKK for many years and visited numerous areas of the city that ARE garbage strewn and/or there is a strong smell of urine…on the ground. Should we then label all people in BKK "dirty cun_ts" as one poster describes the red shirts?

I do NOT support what the red shirts are doing, but the majority of participants are just simple country folk with little education and totally ignorant of what is really going on at higher levels. They are just pawns on a chess board, nothing more.

If you want to vent your frustration over this situation direct it at those responsible, and not the innocent who can't even be faulted for their ignorance. Some of the comments I've read in this thread smack of mob mentality and blatant prejudice. Shame on you!

If you want to base your public opinions solely on what the news media tells you, and/or your observations from the perimeter and then bolt at the first whiff of urine, you do the situation an injustice. This is an historical event that deserves to be reported on accurately and without bias.

When the red shirts moved the barricade away from the hospital in Silom it was reported they made quite a mess, but to their credit they cleaned it all up. If 5000 additional protesters over the weekend got things a bit trashy I bet you will fine it too will get picked up, and not because of the statements of some news reporter or the prejudice comments found in this forum.

The mothers that my wife knows here in Issan have not taken their kids. And they will be back before Sunday to prep the kids for school.

Why does the government waste time? The RED will want something else even if police charges the Deputy PM

<snip>

Who gives a dam_n what the Red's want? Why is the government even listening to them anymore anyway?

Stop this chicken-shit nonsense. Inform the Reds the way it is going to be and ENFORCE it. Violence can be avoided in the many ways TV members have already suggested.

There are now minimal obstacles to dispersing the crowd. Do it and shut up.

BTW, Abhisit should keep working on his new book, "How not to run a country".

Edited by Lopburi99

I keep telling you, just sit back and wait for the rains to get em scurrying back home!

Don't forget many of these protesters come from impoverished areas and have lived in some very harsh condition. I do not think some rain will drive them away. My wife is from Issan and she assures me people from her village could live in the streets of bangkok for years if they wanted. They may not be educated in schools with books and degrees but when it comes to survival in minimal conditions they could probably teach most of us quite a few lessons.

Serves them right....Anyway they are worth nothing better.

you guys with your fat bellys xxxxxxxxtalk quite arrogant about people who were not born with a silverspoon in there mouth....

Impressive, 3 things wrong out of 3 generalizations... :)

Serves them right....Anyway they are worth nothing better.

you guys with your fat bellys andxxxx, talk quite arrogant about people who were not born with a silverspoon in there mouth....

Dont usually get involved with stupidity like this but when I see someone abusing those they dont know and catogarising them all together it pisses me off.

Most of those who put sensible posts on this site have worked hard all their lives to get here where they haven chosen to be. Others are still working hard in many cases that work is improving the lives of kon Thai by providing jobs or teaching in schools.

If you cant post anything better than that I would suggest to the moderators you be removed.

Red Shirt leaders are now taking direction from Thaksin's recently engaged law firm.

A rabble of dissenting ship board lawyers on a precariously listing boat.

They now stand to lose credibility with their own constituency.

Red Shirt leaders are now taking direction from Thaksin's recently engaged law firm.

Here, Here! I at one point had some sympathy for the reds but they now seem to have lost the plot. Why are they still protesting? What do they expect to achieve now? What have they achieved? A general election in a few months time and thats it. Time to go home now.

Here, Here! I at one point had some sympathy for the reds but they now seem to have lost the plot. Why are they still protesting? What do they expect to achieve now? What have they achieved? A general election in a few months time and thats it. Time to go home now.

Agreed. In addition they've proven pretty much beyond doubt that they're a genuine people's movement, and not Thaksin's stooges.

Of course they could throw all of that away in the next two days.