Broken Mobile Phone; Electricity Leakage To Blame?

metice

I had my nokia 5800 connected to my desktop pc via USB when it suddenly died on me. Now it won't turn back on. It's a little over a year old and I haven't had any problems with it.

Like many other people here I get a lot of small shocks from my pc case and I noticed this got transferred down the USB cable to the phone connector. I was wondering if this might be the cause of the fault? Would they be able to fix it at MBK?

It certainly is a ground/earth problem!

One thing you can try is to remove the battery and SIM card from your phone and leave it alone for a couple of hours.

It may come back to life after some time.

If not MBK is your destination.

opalhort

Yup ^^^. About 115V through your sensitive electronics tends to stop it working :)

Ground gear that needs it!!!

Note that tingles from ungrounded PCs is NOT a fault with the PC, the mains inlet filter needs ground to work correctly and if you don't give it one it can bite :D

One ipod, one hard drive, and 1 now faulty monitor later i realised that. All the numpties in the pub that said its just static. grrr..

There is no static in Thailand, way to much humidity in the air.

(Note, I may be wrong on that, but I doubt)

Exactly the same thing with iPod Nano, I now earthed my PC (costs about 400 baht including pool and wire) and no more shocks, sadly the iPod Nano is non recoverable, i just purchased an iPod Touch too replace.

How did you go about earthing it?

There is an official Nokia Service Centre on the 2nd or 3rd floor of MBK, whatever's wrong with it they'll be able to do something about it most of the time its just replacing the fried battery but its better to buy a new one from them as you never know really what you're buying from the mobile stores there.

If your machine tingles then it's not sealed or earthed properly or you might have a faulty power adapter.

Put your PC on a UPS (it should be on one already tsk tsk) this should solve the earthing issue (short term fix).

I've heard a number of people suggesting this, please explain how a simple home (offline) UPS fixes the grounding issue since for 99% of the time it's just passing the mains through directly :)

Put your PC on a UPS (it should be on one already tsk tsk) this should solve the earthing issue (short term fix).

A UPS DOES NOT solve the earthing issue unless the line feeding it is earthed !!!!

opalhort

I had an APC UPS so I can vouch that the UPS does not solve the earthing issue.

I went to a local hardware store, told him I want an earth, he came back with a bronze like pole asked what left, I showed him, he cut it (that was about 300baht), the little clamp was about 20baht, and about 60 baht for the earth wire, It goes basically from a screw on the back of the PC along the floor out the window and to the clamp on the pole. Its not as nice as the diagrams but it works.

use a gfi outlet ( like the one on the shower electric water heater)

Nope, that won't fix it either, the leakage that's causing the damage won't even cause the RCD / GFI / ELCB to blink.

A PROPER GROUND IS THE ONLY FIX. PERIOD!!! Actually, it doesn't have to be a particularly good ground to kill the leakage, but if you're going to do it, at least do it properly.

use a gfi outlet ( like the one on the shower electric water heater)

Nope, that won't fix it either, the leakage that's causing the damage won't even cause the RCD / GFI / ELCB to blink.

A PROPER GROUND IS THE ONLY FIX. PERIOD!!! Actually, it doesn't have to be a particularly good ground to kill the leakage, but if you're going to do it, at least do it properly.

Approve 100%, to solve grounding issue, the ONLY solution is grounding.

For your grounding prod, you better choose a very humid soil: under the roof down pipe, under the kitchen sink exhaust pipe, etc... Plus the prod will be easier to dig in. The longer the prod, the better.

Once you are done grounding your computer, also ground the water hearter, the washing machine, and all electrical applicances in the house :)