Just About To Start.

Hi there,

Just about to start our first UK settlement application and would like a couple of things clarifyed. First I've read that I would have to include my origional birth certificates, and I've also read that copies will do. Which do people suggest? I really don't feel overly confident sending origional documents, by post or courier.

Second, while I was living in Thailand I think all our bills were in my wifes name, so apart from my visas it's going to be quite difficult to prove we were together, any suggestions. As for photos, in the 8 years we were living together I think we have about six or seven photos of us together, lot's of her and very few of me (just don't like having my photo taken) what other evidence do people on this forum think would be acceptable.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

The number of photos is not as important as the quality - ie if they are clearly taken on a number of different occasions and dates this is more useful - they will look for (pardon the pun) a snapshot of your relationship over years. I hate my photo being taken but now have to accept that on every special occasion a couple of photos are taken for the UKBA!! My wife thinks this is great - I just scowl!!!

Details of joint financial transactions (payments from your bank to hers or vice versa), details of flights etc. Phone records if you have them. The more the merrier.

Marriage certificate of course is a biggie to include!

Some people seem to put in applications by the Kg - this is not normally a requirement but concise evidence is probably appreciated. It is strange how difficult it can be to prove something as apparently simple as that you have lived with your wife!

Pinned to the top of this forum is a very good list of documents that can be submitted. I looked at it and was horrified when I saw how much seemed to be needed. We did not give anything as comprehensive as this but covered the important things - relationship, finances, housing etc in the UK. Check the forum thoroughly and most questions should be covered.

Hopefully it won't just be your first application but the only one needed!!!!!

The number of photos is not as important as the quality - ie if they are clearly taken on a number of different occasions and dates this is more useful - they will look for (pardon the pun) a snapshot of your relationship over years. I hate my photo being taken but now have to accept that on every special occasion a couple of photos are taken for the UKBA!! My wife thinks this is great - I just scowl!!!

Details of joint financial transactions (payments from your bank to hers or vice versa), details of flights etc. Phone records if you have them. The more the merrier.

Marriage certificate of course is a biggie to include!

Some people seem to put in applications by the Kg - this is not normally a requirement but concise evidence is probably appreciated. It is strange how difficult it can be to prove something as apparently simple as that you have lived with your wife!

Pinned to the top of this forum is a very good list of documents that can be submitted. I looked at it and was horrified when I saw how much seemed to be needed. We did not give anything as comprehensive as this but covered the important things - relationship, finances, housing etc in the UK. Check the forum thoroughly and most questions should be covered.

Hopefully it won't just be your first application but the only one needed!!!!!

i treated our application much like a job application. i tabulated all of the rent receipts, photos, emails, etc, and just gave a description of all the evidence we had to prove our relationship. then i scanned a couple of photos (taken at different times of our relationship), two emails, and two rent receipts; with these i added a note saying something like 'more XX available upon request'. the case officer just asked for a few more pictures and a contract from work.

i also think a timeline was useful, into which i inserted a couple of pictures taken at different times during the relationship. people like a nice story, so if you describe everything in a nice linear narrative, that should help. and like bob just said, try and pick the most important bits to include...

and, of course, good luck dude :)