Iphone 3gs 32gb Brought In Mbk- What Network Locked To?

phoebe1605

Okay so have to start off saying I am a bit of an idiot.

I had an iPhone 3G 8gb while travelling and I lost it, and so decided to buy a new iPhone 3GS in bangkok at MBK. I brought it, and they assured me it was unlocked to all networks.

Only problem is that it was JAILBROKEN unlock which was fine, worked for a while until i stupidly updated to 3.1.3 software, which i have now discovered is unjailbreakable. So basically I am stuck with an iPhone which does not work AT ALL. Just in iTunes getting the "sim card not recognised" screen.

Tried fixing it and have 2 options:

1. wait until they release an unlock for 3.1.3 or 4.0 when it comes out or

2. try and figure out what network it is locked to and try and call them and get them to unlock it- i don't even mind paying the fee!

Can anyone help?? I just need to figure out what network it could be locked to (and i have tried true move and failed)

WOAH dude... I dont claim to be an expert in iPhones but I pretty much have messed around long enough...

You have a pretty big predicament on your hands.

At the present moment, your Option 1 is the best bet.

You "might" want to try going back to MBK and (try being nice first) explain your situation and see if they will switch out!

I once purchased a portable media player that had issues with the touch screen and had reservations about taking it back...but SURPRISINGLY, the shop was pretty nice about it and gave me a new one.

Sorry.

Option 1. Sorry to say.

I don't know why anybody buys iPhones at MBK. At this point, when you can just walk in the True store and get a brand new factory unlocked iPhone for the same price, with warranty - why deal with grey imports, jailbreaking, and all that stuff?

yeah if i could go back to the store and return it, trust me I would but i'm in Australia!

I thought i was picking it up for a lot cheaper then i was for some reason.. i should have just brought one back in australia and paid $100 for a warranty. So frustrating.

It's not a copy iPhone it is legit but i was just hoping they are all locked to the same network so whilst waiting for the new unlock/jailbreak to come out i can at least use my beautiful brand new iphone as a ipod. It's actually killing me. I can get SIM cards for most of the thai networks sent to me for around $6 each off ebay.. is there any point playing the guessing game trying to figure out if it is even locked to a thai network??

thanks for all of your help- hopefully an unlock will be available soon!!

If you had money to burn, you could buy a new iPhone, unlock it, restore it to your settings. Then once an unlock becomes available, unlock your old one, and sell it, incurring a small loss.

Most likely it's a US iPhone locked to AT&T. They don't unlock it for you.

I posted on another thread created by the OP.

Isn't there a new jailbreak called "Spirit " which works for 3.1.3 ? I am not sure it does unlock though, but maybe it's worth checking for it.

Phil

I posted on another thread created by the OP.

Isn't there a new jailbreak called "Spirit " which works for 3.1.3 ? I am not sure it does unlock though, but maybe it's worth checking for it.

Phil

Unfortunately for OP, Spirit is a jailbreak, not an unlock.

does anyone know about all of the serial number type things on the back of the iPhone?

Normally they only have one line of a serial number but this has 6 lines of numbers going down... Not really sure how to describe it but someone told me it was from Asia because of that so pretty sure it isn't AT&T...

and trust me- don't have money to burn!! haha i'm still at uni so it looks like i'll just have to wait it out. Fingers crossed there will be an unlock soon!!!

does anyone know about all of the serial number type things on the back of the iPhone?

Normally they only have one line of a serial number but this has 6 lines of numbers going down... Not really sure how to describe it but someone told me it was from Asia because of that so pretty sure it isn't AT&T...

and trust me- don't have money to burn!! haha i'm still at uni so it looks like i'll just have to wait it out. Fingers crossed there will be an unlock soon!!!

Hope that this helps narrow it down a little for you but the phone aint from Singapore, Hong Kong, Thailand, Taiwan, PRC or Malaysia... these countries sell the iPhone unlocked.

Apple's latest 3.1.3, was designed to BRICK all the 3GS that have a earlier jailbreak

They were sneaky mentioning the update will improve battery life.

BUT it was a lock, to teach them all a lesson. Stop jailbreaking…you can downgrade to an earlier firmware 3.1.2, but you need to make a back up, using some other program. This is too late for you now.

Many many users now have a brick, and will have to wait for the OS4 to come out.

By all accounts (geohot, or million7) have a solution ready, but they will wait until OS4 & the Iphone 4 is out before the release, just wait latest gossip is 21st June………..

Wow, what a Customer friendly Company Apple is, I am deeply impressed. Thanks for reminding me to stay well clear of them.

Not exactly. I have jailbroken all my devices and unlocked that required unlocked from apple. However having said that I can 100% see Apple's standing on this.

1. Protect the product and the patents and software engineering as much as any company would.

2. Reduce Piracy and therefore loyalty of App developers therefore maintaining product sales.

3. Reduce Technical support and warranty repairs.

Plus many more reasons. If I were Jobs I would be doing exactly the same thing everything possible to stop jailbreaks and unlocks. However it is a battle which Apple will never win however they can make an effort to reduce it somewhat and be seen for the developers and the carrier contract holders to be doing at least something about it.

Edited by negreanu

To the OP, what firmware do you have??? You may be able to save the phone if you can downgrade the firmware thing. I upgrded to beta 4.0 by accident, which I assume would upgrade the firmware or baseband thing to the same as 3.13. I used a trick from this site that allowed me to go down to where I was able to re-jailbreak the phone and unlock it again.

^ Each individual point enough reason why I wouldn't buy from them. I'm a tinkerer, I bought this thing, don't tell me what to do with it.

You're a tinkerer? Thats exactly why you should buy an iphone lol. If you jailbreak it you can do all kinds of kool things Apple doesnt want you to do. You can modify and mess around with it to your hearts content, I love the iphone and ipad because I can hack them and modify them and thoroughly enjoy altering it.