What Do You Do With Satangs?

wilson steer

I have a big jar full of 25 and 50 satangs. What do you do with yours? I never give less than 10 baht to beggars, and even Thais don't give beggars satangs, even a handful because it's bad luck to be mean.

Would the (Thai) bank accept a plastic bag of 100, like in England a £1 bag of pennies?

P.S. Don't ever give them a taxi driver.......they go ballistic!

All hints and tips gratefully received.... :o

Every time I get any change in Thailand I put the notes in my pocket and hand the coins to the mrs. She keeps all the change and when she takes her bi-monthly trip home to see the folks she brings it home with her to the family. She says its become quite the social event as all her mothers friends and the ladies living close love to come by and count it with her.

They even gamble on it, can you believe that? About 5 of them get in a circle and dump the coins on the floor in a pile and immediately start placing bets. There will be about 10 ladies standing about and each of the ladies there will put 10 baht in a kiddy and tells the one keeping track of the guesses how much they think it is. When all the guesses are in they spread it out and the five in the circle start counting. The mrs says its quite an event for them and after the count they talk over sum tham and noodles talking about the whole thing.

Mama takes out the satangs to use when paying the elctric bill, then portions out papas allotment and yai's and the rest goes in an old safe I bought for her in Mae Sot. She says she is gonna save it for her and papas funerals so they can go out in style.

Keep it real!

They even gamble on it, can you believe that? About 5 of them get in a circle and dump the coins on the floor in a pile and immediately start placing bets. There will be about 10 ladies standing about and each of the ladies there will put 10 baht in a kiddy and tells the one keeping track of the guesses how much they think it is. When all the guesses are in they spread it out and the five in the circle start counting. The mrs says its quite an event for them and after the count they talk over sum tham and noodles talking about the whole thing.

Ahhhh, Thailand lifestyles. Don't ya just love it !

20 baht bill and all change,if not left on the table or given to the attendant at the fuel stop,is put in a sack on a shelf,the kid takes the 20s for her school ride and the coins just keep getting deeper in the sack.

Now in the states,my bank wouldn't take coins unless they were counted and in paper tubes made for that purpose,no more dumping them by the sack full in a machine to count them for you and paper returned or credited to your acct.

A few years ago when the din daeng tollway changed from 40 to 42 baht and then from 42 to 38 to compensate for the 'illegal' fee change I paid them with 25 and 50 satang coins. I had a pile of them as I always unload coins in a big jar every night. The did not smile when they saw my car on the on ramp... ...but what the heck, it was their idea to change to an uneven amount...