War On Phuket Taxi Mafia

george

as some drivers might refuse to use the meters.

And some tourists might refuse to use the taxis :o

I hope they clean up the scum in the airports. Nothing gives a worst first impression of any country than getting ripped off the moment you arrive. How hard could it be.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They need to make the taxis here in Samui use thier meters also. Many tourists complain that the charges are to high, especially compaired to Bangkok.

Raise the meter rate , but use the meter than the tourist knows he is not getting ripped off.

Yep. Samui Taxi Meter are probably the highest in the Kingdom. 50 Baht flag drop and 2 baht per kilometer and you still can't make them turn them on. They ask for, and get from unsuspecting tourist, 3 times what the fair would be on the meter. Shameful.

As far as notifying the Police...555... There isn't a soul living on Samui that doesn't already know this is happening. One gets the feeling they may be telling the wrong person if you know what I mean.

Edited by Boh Bpen Yang

Governor lays out strategy for war on ‘taxi mafia’

“We know that they are giving people cause for complaint, but at present they are getting away with it, because people don’t complain about them – maybe because visitors are afraid of approaching the police.”

--Phuket Gazette 2005-06-09

this is bullschit :o

• 4 years later...

I rarely take taxis now in BKK, I drive. But I had many years of doing so. first off, it helps if you know some Thai. If you can tell them where you want to go in Thai they then generally know that they will have a hard time ripping you off. Before I get in the taxi, I tell them to turn on the meter. If they hesitate even 3 seconds to do so, I just say "mai aow", and go to the next taxi. Their choice if they want to do what the customer asks of them. Ten years of taxis and I think with these methods I have only had one problem.

I rarely take taxis now in BKK, I drive. But I had many years of doing so. first off, it helps if you know some Thai. If you can tell them where you want to go in Thai they then generally know that they will have a hard time ripping you off. Before I get in the taxi, I tell them to turn on the meter. If they hesitate even 3 seconds to do so, I just say "mai aow", and go to the next taxi. Their choice if they want to do what the customer asks of them. Ten years of taxis and I think with these methods I have only had one problem.

Hi tominbkk

I find that quite strange -- it is really hard for me to accurately estimate the number of times A BKK taxi driver has tried to not use his meter --- perhaps one in one hundred? It is certainly very infrequent!

Apart from a few well known areas where sharks are circling for the drunk or unwary --- the vast majority of BKK taxi drivers use their meters automatically. Matbe it is just me! :)

Hi tominbkk

I find that quite strange -- it is really hard for me to accurately estimate the number of times A BKK taxi driver has tried to not use his meter --- perhaps one in one hundred? It is certainly very infrequent!

Hi, well a bit more for me, maybe 10% of the time they will hesitate, usually no problem. Also, if they hesitate when I ask them to go somewhere and they make that little O shape with their lips I just say mai bpen riai and close the door and go tot he next taxi. But usually no problem.

Any progress in cleaning up the taxi mafia in Phukett?

I don't think the getting out of the taxi and hauling your bags 15 kilometers to the airport 'protest' was quite as effective as some folks thought it would be.

:)

Hi tominbkk

Apart from a few well known areas where sharks are circling for the drunk or unwary --- the vast majority of BKK taxi drivers use their meters automatically. Matbe it is just me! :)

After 5 years in Phuket, i thought it would be nice to visit Bangkok ! The taxis there are a DREAM that Phuket can only hope to one day achieve. Nice clean modern cars, fitted with radio and GPS systems. I'd get in, tell them in Thai to turn the meter on and it was done - and it's so cheap. We drove all over the place for peanuts. Oh it was such a nice change knowing there was going to be no haggling or aggravation.

Regarding cleaning things up at Suvanaphum airport. I know it was in the news recently about them clamping down, and in a big airport, it's hard, but it CAN be done, and again, it's a DREAM that phuket can hope to emulate.

Here's what i observed. On arrival at Suvanaphum, NO touts approached me. You just get in a cab and he turns the meter on and off we go.

The return leg - i'm dropped off at departures. Now, the taxi driver wants to wait a while to get a passenger who wants to go back into town. BUT, there is a security guard there with loud-hailer which he is constantly shouting into telling them to get a move on. I sat and had a smoke and watched some more. IF the taxi's didnt move off promptly after dropping off, security photograph them and radio to the gate to not let him out. This was fun, i had another fag and watched some more. Eventually, the taxi driver has no option but to return, whereupon security take him to the Police Station. I follow them down. There are 3 or 4 other taxi rogues in there paying fines (all receipted too).

Now then, wouldnt it be nice for little, tiny, phuket airport to do that....................really, it CAN be done!

On return to Phuket, there were a few touts upon immediately coming out of arrivals - mostly women. When you get outside into the open air, there were loads of touts. Look, it's not as bad as India where they manhandle you etc but nevertheless they are on the private property of Phuket Airport. <deleted> ! Video them, photograph them, have a security guard there, DO SOMETHING !

Installing meters in the taxi's should be a priority. Year after year one of the highest complaints from exiting tourists is the rip off prices of the Tuk Tuks. The last Governor promised much and delivered nothing. Let's hope the new fella can achieve something.

[

Now then, wouldnt it be nice for little, tiny, phuket airport to do that....................really, it CAN be done!

Unfortunately I can't see it being the case any time soon - apperently a well known General is in charge of those annoying airport limos, and pays around a milion baht a month just to have his taxi's there. This figure is well known and publicised, so god knows what extra's are being paid to keep the powers that be of his back.

As someone mentioned before its absaloutley crazy that some of the internal tuk tuks charge more than a London cab, it's been a while since I have used one but have heard the horror stories.

Choppy

Now then, wouldnt it be nice for little, tiny, phuket airport to do that....................really, it CAN be done![/quote]

Unfortunately I can't see it being the case any time soon - apperently a well known General is in charge of those annoying airport limos, and pays around a milion baht a month just to have his taxi's there. This figure is well known and publicised, so god knows what extra's are being paid to keep the powers that be of his back.

As someone mentioned before its absaloutley crazy that some of the internal tuk tuks charge more than a London cab, it's been a while since I have used one but have heard the horror stories.

Choppy

Edited by choppychugger

I

In Phuket, the red Tuk Tuks are muslim owned and the blue ones buddhist.

Interesting that. Does anyone notice a difference between the 2 colours? Is one fairer that the other?

Not that I have noticed, they all seem to be pretty much working the system to keep the prices high.

Strange people mention it is the same all over the world as regards taxi fares at airports , a few flights back my arrival time was 12 am and my family interpreted that as noon hour , no one came at midnight so as the taxis finished at 12 am I was obliged to hire a limo . The driver was a bloody comedian and entertained me during the 2 hour plus journey from the airport to my home in southern Ontario , the fare was $160.00 cd ( approx. B560) , no rip off there .

Only once in 7 years did I have a problem with a BKK taxi driver who refused to switch on the meter , I asked him to stop and let me out but he refused , the first time he had to stop at a light I got out and gave him B50 . always insisted meter on BEFORE closing the door after that .

Chiang Mai also has it's moments with taxis.

On a recent visit the Taxis at the airport were demanding 50Baht 'airport service' plus 90Baht flat rate to the Airport Plaza which anybody can walk to within 5 minutes. Total 140Baht.

The same disatance in Bangkok would be 35Baht.

Any progress in cleaning up the taxi mafia in Phukett?

Afraid not ....and it seems to be getting worse. The more rope these thugs are given by the authorities the more they have to hang you (the passenger) with. They are fairly much above the law now as I have heard that high up Thugs in Black are involved in the renting of the tuk tuks (Anyone have more on this??), and no doubt the boys in power in Phuket Town Hall.

They control the whole of Patong now and have commandeered every single parking space for themselves...that is the spaces left after the rental boys have taken their share of available parking. They are a really bad lot and it will take far far more effoirt now to clean up this unholy mess than it would have years ago. They, and their disgraceful practices, are too deeply entrenched and are a serious Mafia. Violent groups like these guys are not going to give up their position easily.

When you talk Phuket mafia, you are actually talking about the incredibly corrupt Thai police. Do you actually believe that the police can't control the taxis?

As far as Bangkok, it's up to the taxi drivers themselves. MOST, and I repeat, MOST are honest. If the driver doesn't use the meter when you get in, complain and just get back out.

When you talk Phuket mafia, you are actually talking about the incredibly corrupt Thai police. Do you actually believe that the police can't control the taxis?

For what it's worth I actually do believe that the Police cannot control the taxi mafia here, a part of it has to do with a serious shortage in numbers of available police, another part is the vested interest - but really, the issue is no different from that at Swampy where AOT finally had to put up their hands and go to the government for help and said, we cannot solve the problem, it would be a brave Phuket governeor who said something similar about the red car situation in Phuket.

• 2 weeks later...

To think , back in the early 90's as a kid in Phuket, we'd get 5-6 of us in a Tuk tuk from Ocean shopping mall back to my house up in Nanai for just 10 baht, and they were mostly friendly and helpful... now they ask for at least 200 (sometimes down to 100 if you can speak Thai), and forget about a smile... what a racket. But yeah, like so many other negative points hre (or anywhere else, really), there's too much money and back-room deals to really do anything about it.

My dad has a good solution, blow up one tuk-tuk each day :)

I once got in a taxi outside the airport that started taking me to my hotel. Halfway there I realized he hadn't turned on the meter.

He told me then that it was broken but that he would give me the fair price of 600 Baht. I told him it normally cost me 200 Baht to go to the hotel.

I told him I would pay 200 Baht or take me back to the airport.

He offered 500 Baht. I then asked for the price of 150 Baht. He said 450 Baht was his final offer.

I told him to take me back then. He was angry but took me back. What a waste of time.

I told the next cab driver to turn on the meter. I told him that the first taxi offered 600 Baht. This second taxi driver told me that is probably what the meter will say so 600 Baht was a fair price. I guess he was trying to cover for his fellow driver. He didn't say anything to me when we reached the hotel and the meter read 197 Baht.

I always tell the taxi to turn on the meter. They know how much it costs to go places. They aren't going to offer a cheaper rate just to save the effort of turning on the meter. I think all farang should refuse to go with a driver if they don't turn on the meter. Paying them higher rates only encourages them to try to gouge the next passenger.

I agree with you! I remember being in Pattaya in 1987 and sitting on a "song taew" watching the driver over-charge every Falang that got on the bus. Finally I couldn't take it any more and said "why are you cheating all these foreigners?" The bus driver lost face and challenged me to fight (along with his friend).

Thailand is like a country with an over-abundance of immature con men that you constantly have to "keep in check". It's as if there are no morals or ethics here, it's just "get what you can get away with".

I live in Phuket where it is much worse than Bangkok. Phuket is like Bangkok 25-yrs ago. It's a free-for-all and the taxis are essentially 100% controlled by the local "mafia", many of which are aligned with the local government.

If the governor was actually serious about cleaning it up, he should do so and spare everyone the BS. It doesn't require a jet scientist to realize what's going on here.

For what it's worth I actually do believe that the Police cannot control the taxi mafia here, a part of it has to do with a serious shortage in numbers of available police, another part is the vested interest - but really, the issue is no different from that at Swampy where AOT finally had to put up their hands and go to the government for help and said, we cannot solve the problem, it would be a brave Phuket governeor who said something similar about the red car situation in Phuket.

Check out the statistics regarding crime and number of police per capita at:http://www.nationmaster.com/index.php

I disagree with you. There's plenty of Thai police. They're just not doing their job!

You'll find that thailand has a very high crime rate and a very high number of police per capita. It's as if the thai police are lazy or just uneffective.

Strange people mention it is the same all over the world as regards taxi fares at airports , a few flights back my arrival time was 12 am and my family interpreted that as noon hour , no one came at midnight so as the taxis finished at 12 am I was obliged to hire a limo . The driver was a bloody comedian and entertained me during the 2 hour plus journey from the airport to my home in southern Ontario , the fare was $160.00 cd ( approx. B560) , no rip off there .

Only once in 7 years did I have a problem with a BKK taxi driver who refused to switch on the meter , I asked him to stop and let me out but he refused , the first time he had to stop at a light I got out and gave him B50 . always insisted meter on BEFORE closing the door after that .

Dumball - 2hrs taxi in mooseland would be about $160 = approx 5,000 Baht. In thailand 2hrs taxi = about 1,500 Baht, neg.

bkk is easy...airport first level = taxis with meters. 300 Baht to Silom/Sathorn. negotiate taxi to Pattaya or beyond.

in bkk, always grab one on the street and use meter; don't grab one waiting outside a club/bar

Phuket? Don't like the joint. Ditto Samui; tourist rip-off spots i reckon. Go elsewhere...

In Bangkok,if the taxi driver does not put the meter on, get out and get the next taxi.

In Pattaya if you do that you'll be walking. They brought out a fleet of taxi meters back in 2007. NONE use their meters. We've never heard from one forum member of a taxi here using a meter. Many have tried, all have failed. Now we have a fleet of fake taxi meters. The meters only serve to cheat tourists into thinking it's a genuine taxi service which makes it worse than no service at all.

I agree with you! I remember being in Pattaya in 1987 and sitting on a "song taew" watching the driver over-charge every Falang that got on the bus. Finally I couldn't take it any more and said "why are you cheating all these foreigners?" The bus driver lost face and challenged me to fight (along with his friend).

Thailand is like a country with an over-abundance of immature con men that you constantly have to "keep in check". It's as if there are no morals or ethics here, it's just "get what you can get away with".

I disagree. You cannot blame the con men and it's not up to you (and impossible) to keep them in check. It's the government which is immature. It doesn't matter where you live, without proper regulation public transport becomes a free for all where anything goes. People do not naturally self regulate as they are inherently greedy (and evil). They need enforceable laws to keep them in check.

Edited by tropo

I disagree. You cannot blame the con men and it's not up to you (and impossible) to keep them in check. It's the government which is immature. It doesn't matter where you live, without proper regulation public transport becomes a free for all where anything goes. People do not naturally self regulate as they are inherently greedy (and evil). They need enforceable laws to keep them in check.

Point taken but many people here are so incredibly opportunistic. They're like children who behave "naughty" unless they're constantly scolded. It seems that there is a disproportionate amount of "inherently greedy" people here.

There are enforceable laws, they just aren't enforced. Thailand ranked 3.36 police per 1,000 people as per a UN survey (that's #14 out of 48 countries). There are plenty of police, just a lack of efficient, uncorrupt police for the job.

Edited by thefalang