Cost To Supply Water Pipe To House?

Hi

I appreciate I'm probably being too vague here but if anyone has any idea, I'd appreciate it.

OK, a friend has been quoted about 8000THB to provide a water pipe to a property in kampaengpetch so it has running water. I have no idea if this is a direct supply from the water mains or not. I think the property may be on farmland (rice).

Am I being too vague .... what questions do I need to ask to know if this is a fair price or not?

Thanks

Taz...

Hi

I appreciate I'm probably being too vague here but if anyone has any idea, I'd appreciate it.

OK, a friend has been quoted about 8000THB to provide a water pipe to a property in kampaengpetch so it has running water. I have no idea if this is a direct supply from the water mains or not. I think the property may be on farmland (rice).

Am I being too vague .... what questions do I need to ask to know if this is a fair price or not?

Thanks

Taz...

Hi Taz

I suppose it all depends on where your friend lives. I live in Changwat Khampaeng Phet but out in the boonies at Klong Lan Pattana and I have water supplied to the meter by the local water authotities. From the meter to where you want it depends mainly on the distance and size of the pipe.

I had the guy who works for us to run 3/4 inch pipe to 2 houses and did the other one myself. It is not difficult as the pipe comes in 3 or 4 metre lengths, is plastic, the connecors are easy and you can change pipe sizes with an adapter.

I think it was about 40 baht a piece of pipe and the connectors are about 20 baht. You also need pipe cement which turns you on a bit but can literally become addictive (glue sniffing).

My land was dirt and so easy to bury the pipe but if your friend has concrete it is more difficult.

A reasonable plumber up here would be 300 or so Baht a day.

I generally do my own plumbing.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Edited by billd766

Hi

Thanks

Taz...

You need to know what materials will be used and how much labor it will take. The length of the pipeline, the diameter and type of pipe (type is probably pvc...the blue stuff), and how many turns it must take (how many elbows), and how many pieces of pipe it will take (one piece of pvc is 4 meters), and don't forget that to hook two pieces together you will need to buy a fitting to connect them.

The materials: Go to any hardware store and find the prices on the pipe they will use and the fittings and the glue.

The labor: Find out how deep they have to dig to access the existing water and find out how deep they will bury the line and find out if they are only digging in dirt or is there some concrete which must be broken or tunneled under. If they are going to bury the line only 20cm deep and its only in dirt they can bring a two wheeled tractor on site and easily dig several hundred meters of trench in a day. My neighbor digs a small irrigation ditch every year with his tractor and in less than one day he does about 1.5 kilometers. Then they must put the pipe in and glue it together and bury it.

Additionally: will they seed the disturbed area? will they have to replace any broken concrete? If so then there are more materials and labor involved.

If you need more help with this then get together as much of the information shown above and post it and we can give you better advice.

Edited by chownah

I live near you and have a reasonable idea where you might be located. I would suggest that you pay the workers by the day (150 baht) and absorb the cost of all materials and presto you have it under control. If you need too many workers consider renting a trench digging machine and operator. Don't get too paranoid not everyone will try to rip you off in Thailand. The poor are the least likely.

I live near you and have a reasonable idea where you might be located.  I would suggest that you pay the workers by the day (150 baht) and absorb the cost of all materials and presto you have it under control.  If you need too many workers consider renting a trench digging machine and operator.  Don't get too paranoid not everyone will try to rip you off in Thailand.  The poor are the least likely.

don't waste time and money on the blue pipe unless you plan to move in a couple of years. The black pipe is far stonger, you can drive a car over it, and it comes in 50 meter rolls so you don't need so many joins.

steve