Scenes De Vie In Thailand

Photos about "Scenes de Vie" in Thailand.

I have difficulty translating it in English but well, I'll try, loosely translated, a moment in the life of people in Thailand, they can be Thais or foreigners but it should be a photo taken in Thailand.

And I start with a photo taken in Erawan Park, Kanchanaburi province. I sure admire people able to sleep on the ground :)

4601257934_410879cfe3_b.jpg

Edited by eurasianthai

The forum heading is "photography and the arts"

would you like to elaborate on where any of the above snaps comply?

Actually, while I generally concur with your skepticism about the quality of photos on the forum, I actually think these have some excellent points. Good saturation, relatively sharp, and interesting subjects (at least to me).

And of course, life in Thailand is being in contact with Buddhist monks on a daily basis.

I have plenty of photos of monks, but will just post these two first, both taken in Chiang Mai.

2633316525_71a090596c_b.jpg

I think the photo of the monks is great!

While fly fishing in a river near the Burma border we often had the locals come down to stare at these strange farangs invading their territory.

I thought these photos told a story.

Cheering_gallery.jpg

Karen_hill_tribe.jpg

These photos are of a hill tribe woman making rice flour using hand made equipment. The rice is dried in the sun on woven platters and then husked on a sheet of steel, The rice is then placed in a wooden bowl supported within a truck tire and pounded with a water wheel constructed entirely by hand tools.

Lady_making_flour_2.jpg

Lady_making_flour_1.jpg

There are two wooden pounders off each wheel.

Water_wheel_2.jpg

Water_wheel_4.jpg

The forum heading is "photography and the arts"

would you like to elaborate on where any of the above snaps comply?

Jeez what are you - the internet police or something!?

Lighten up buddy and get over yourself. Let people post their photos in peace without you criticising every single time :)

I think what Vulcan is saying is that a lot of these pictures are just snapshots with no real effort behind them. A lot of these pictures are good, they just maybe need some attention.

I took the monk photo and rotated it (straighted), cropped the tourists feet out, enhanced contrast, and a couple other Photoshop adjustments (including unsharp mask), and put a black border around the picture. It took about five minutes and here is the result:

thaivisaquickedit.jpg

Edited by kicking

I think what Vulcan is saying is that a lot of these pictures are just snapshots with no real effort behind them. A lot of these pictures are good, they just maybe need some attention.

Yes, but he didn't say that. He was sarcastic with no explanation.

I photoshop ALL my pictures. First, I resize them before they go into any of my galleries for display on the internet, but I still keep the original as it was taken. Then, I crop or trim out what isn't necessary and straighten a crooked back ground. A common fault I see all the time is slanted horizons. Magazines won't accept photos with slanted horizons unless there is room to fix them later, and only if the original is outstanding.

If a picture looks better as a panorama then I'll trim something from the top and the bottom.

I'll even use Photoshop to remove some post or stick that seems to be protruding from someone's head. It's not hard to do and makes a better picture. But, it's far better to be aware of these things BEFORE you snap the picture. Too many photographers (myself included) forget about the back ground when taking a picture. It is no accident that certain photographers consistently take great pictures. Training has taught them to recognize a good picture BEFORE they pick up the camera.

I always take two or more photos of people if I can, and certainly do so with posed group shots. In almost EVERY group shot there will be someone who closes their eyes or turns just at the wrong time. It can usually be fixed later with Photoshop by cutting and pasting from the other picture.

I know several young ladies who are self conscious of wearing braces on their teeth and they try not to smile. I tell them no problem, just smile; I can fix it with Photoshop.

With scenic shots I pay attention to angles and curves. I like curving roads and rivers that run from one corner to another. Unless there are lovely colours or patterns, a flat, scenic picture with a straight horizon is usually uninteresting.

And, always remember the rule of thirds. The main focal subject, or point of interest, should normally be placed 1/3 in from the bottom, the top, or from either side. When taking side pictures of people, then they should be looking INTO the picture from one side, and NOT facing away.

I ALWAYS shoot ALL photos at maximum image size (measured in pixels). It gives you far more leeway if you want to crop some picture later. I use a Nikon D200 and blow up many photos to over 24 inches wide while still maintaining detail.

Yes, but he didn't say that. He was sarcastic with no explanation.

I photoshop ALL my pictures. First, I resize them before they go into any of my galleries for display on the internet, but I still keep the original as it was taken. Then, I crop or trim out what isn't necessary and straighten a crooked back ground. A common fault I see all the time is slanted horizons. Magazines won't accept photos with slanted horizons unless there is room to fix them later, and only if the original is outstanding.

If a picture looks better as a panorama then I'll trim something from the top and the bottom.

I'll even use Photoshop to remove some post or stick that seems to be protruding from someone's head. It's not hard to do and makes a better picture. But, it's far better to be aware of these things BEFORE you snap the picture. Too many photographers (myself included) forget about the back ground when taking a picture. It is no accident that certain photographers consistently take great pictures. Training has taught them to recognize a good picture BEFORE they pick up the camera.

I think the point of the past few posts, including this one, really has to do with what is a forum for that is called "Photography & The Arts"?

When I arrived here a year ago, I was glad to find this forum because I consider myself to be a semi-serious amateur. A hobbyist. So, I view a couple of photography forums on a daily basis and always walk away challenged, usually wondering if I can ever be that good. And yet, most of the people posting in those forums are no more than serious amateurs. One forum, for example, which is free and anyone can post to, consistently dazzles me with a rate of probably 75% of the time impressing me to knocking my socks off (it's the Canon Digital Photography forum, BTW). Whether it's having "the eye", or stunning clarity, or excellent composition, the vast majority of the photos impress me.

On our little forum I see people posting mostly pretty average pics with an occasional gem. Clarity/focus is often substandard. Things like a level horizon, as Ian points out, or cropping appears to rarely happen. Some pics I see look like they came out of a cheap Kodak Instamatic camera from the 1960s. I have the impression that many that post here are using relatively expensive photography equipment...and not getting their money's worth. And that's okay, too.

What I don't see here often are photographs of the quality that go with a forum entitled "Photography & The Arts". Maybe more like "Casual Pics Of Thailand".

Please don't misunderstand me. The forum is whatever we want it to be. But's it's not a photo forum where people walk away thinking, "Wow! Stunning photos! I'm inspired!"

I'm happy with 'arts' or 'casual pics of Thailand', thanks.

Often show the kids pics of places we haven't been, whether they're snapshots or 'art' we are not such a sophisticated audience, we simply enjoy the pics being viewed n a 14" laptop.

So thankyou to all contributors; I appreciate the efforts of those who spend ages Photoshopping their pics, and the ones who simply take pride in a photo they've taken and want to share.

I think the point of the past few posts, including this one, really has to do with what is a forum for that is called "Photography & The Arts"?

When I arrived here a year ago, I was glad to find this forum because I consider myself to be a semi-serious amateur. A hobbyist. So, I view a couple of photography forums on a daily basis and always walk away challenged, usually wondering if I can ever be that good. And yet, most of the people posting in those forums are no more than serious amateurs. One forum, for example, which is free and anyone can post to, consistently dazzles me with a rate of probably 75% of the time impressing me to knocking my socks off (it's the Canon Digital Photography forum, BTW). Whether it's having "the eye", or stunning clarity, or excellent composition, the vast majority of the photos impress me.

On our little forum I see people posting mostly pretty average pics with an occasional gem. Clarity/focus is often substandard. Things like a level horizon, as Ian points out, or cropping appears to rarely happen. Some pics I see look like they came out of a cheap Kodak Instamatic camera from the 1960s. I have the impression that many that post here are using relatively expensive photography equipment...and not getting their money's worth. And that's okay, too.

What I don't see here often are photographs of the quality that go with a forum entitled "Photography & The Arts". Maybe more like "Casual Pics Of Thailand".

Please don't misunderstand me. The forum is whatever we want it to be. But's it's not a photo forum where people walk away thinking, "Wow! Stunning photos! I'm inspired!"

Fair enough comment, Phetaroi. But, it takes a while for some people to separate art from just pictures. And, not everyone understands what makes ART in the first place. I like to add a few comments with each of my photos just to set the stage a bit, or to illustrate a situation or point I'm trying to make. Some folks just like to look at pretty pictures.

If we make constructive comments like yours then possibly a few people will strive to learn more and their photography will improve. It still takes being at the right place at the right time with a camera in hand. And, the camera you have with you is the one you'll take your best pictures with. Almost every time I leave my camera at home I miss a potential great photo. It takes discipline to always bring a camera with you and to actually stop what you are doing at the time and take a photo when you recognize a great picture.

George created the title, and it was my understanding that "the Arts" part was to broaden the scope beyond

just photography. Apart from the odd post there has been little attention to the Arts side.

IMO the general standard of photography has been good over the years, but some of the recent

postings have been slipping into the "snapshot" category.

There is the member's gallery where you can post sets of photos of your experiences in Thailand,

including auntie and the family on the beach, if you feel so inclined.

If you post in the main Photography forum then you must expect constructive criticism from other members.

That way we can all learn to hone our skills. My pet hate is sloping horizons, where the water will run out

one side of the photo. :) I make a conscious effort to check that whenever I take a shot. If I am not successful

a little editing on the computer can easily correct the problem. The same goes for colour balance issues.

Ian Forbes is right about always carrying a camera. I know I have missed many memorable images over the years

when I did not have my camera with me.

Keep the photos coming and feel free to start a new thread, or a competition. PM me if you need assistance.

And by the way, for those who want to do a little editing...and it's free and a great photo editor...look for GIMP on the net. I use it for most of my purposes, although for a few purposes I still use Corel Photo Paint. But, for example, cropping and leveling with GIMP is so very easy, as are various color gradations and contrast adjustments. And, again, it's FREE! :)

Here's another one of the pictures from the thread that I edited (last one I'll do and I hope OP doesn't mind), again took about five minutes. Maybe a little overcooked for some, but maybe kind of interesting all the same (didn't realize it wasn't even straight till I uploaded it but I'm too lazy to fix it now):

thaivisaquickedit2.jpg

Edited by kicking

I like that one, Kicking. Yah, it MIGHT be a little "over cooked" as you say, but that adds to the artsy feeling. I like the lighting on the fellow's arms. One thing I might have cut out was the man behind the central figure. As it looks right now the central guy looks like he's wearing two hats. Any one of the three main figures could have been a good photo in itself.