Duty On Helmets %

I'm not sure how they classify import duties, but I had some radio control cars and plastic model kits shipped here and they suffered 40% duty.

Have you tried this helmet on yet?

It would stink if you paid to get an expensive helmet that didn't fit your head.

You can search for Thailand import duty rates using the Thailand Customs Department's official integrated tariff database at http://igtf.customs.go.th/igtf/en/main_frame.jsp.

Sorry to say, but the Thailand Customs Department's statutory rate for "safety headgear" is 100%... :)

I have had 3 things sent from overseas by courier over the last 3 months (all different and from different locations) and no duty on any of them!!

Had a Headlight unit arrive today no duty or tax of any sort.

maybe lucky?

You can search for Thailand import duty rates using the Thailand Customs Department's official integrated tariff database at http://igtf.customs.go.th/igtf/en/main_frame.jsp.

Sorry to say, but the Thailand Customs Department's statutory rate for "safety headgear" is 100%... :)

I have had 3 things sent from overseas by courier over the last 3 months (all different and from different locations) and no duty on any of them!!

Had a Headlight unit arrive today no duty or tax of any sort.

maybe lucky?

My small orders like R/C parts and iphone case never got stopped at customs either.

I'm guessing they only check heavy for its size, and large boxes.

When you xray a helmet, everyone knows what it is.

I'd wager a helmet has a high chance of getting picked by customs.

100% tax, that's rough.

Might be better off buying a helmet locally.

I've seen Panda Rider has sweet European helmets while lots of Asian helmets are at Paddock.

Do you think "Plastic Hat" would get past the Zealots? :D

100% ..... BUGGER !

Sometimes your lucky no duty. some times it gets duty. BUT have it sent by USPS (postal service) not a courier service. and email the sender your address in Thai. makes it easier for the posty and the customs dont bother looking at thai addresses so much.

As the other guy said though. How do you know it will fit. every brand has slightly different fitting and even within the brand each model has slightly different fit. example I like HJC because they have an oval head fitting.

Too true, but if you the opportunity to bring a new helmet in with you, normally they don't give a monkeys about at customs. Well up in my neck of the woods, anyway :D

Just to add, on triple B's link, click on >>>Customs Tariff>>> click: decree 2542 >> click: chapter 65

Edited by Garry

Too true, but if you the opportunity to bring a new helmet in with you, normally they don't give a monkeys about at customs. Well up in my neck of the woods, anyway :D

Just to add, on triple B's link, click on >>>Customs Tariff>>> click: decree 2542 >> click: chapter 65

I am not sure but I thought helmets were a prohibited import...this may be just for trade though.

The information posted is sound: Heading 6506.10; Description: Safety headgear; Statutory Rate / ad valorem Rate 100%

Last helmet I had sent I bought from the UK, it was sent along with a couple of other parts for my bike and duty was charged on the lot at around 30%, however having regular orders sent from overseas by various different postal methods it seems like it is just your luck on whether you get charged or not and at what rate. Defo one to avoid is UPS, shower of cnuts, last order I had with them delivering resulted in two fictitious add on fees, when I protested I was asked "do you want the parts or not" in the end I paid over 100% duty. Lesson learned.

I was lucky and got someone I knew was coming to bring mine.

BUT, getting the right size helmet is ESSENTIAL!

If it is too big it REALLY compromises your head/brain in the event of an accident.

And too small, well you can't get it on your head hehe.

My size is 57cm small.

I tried on several AGV helmets before placing an order.

Good luck.

p.s. I personally wouldn't give customs 100%.

post-52293-1273979433_thumb.jpg

post-52293-1273979448_thumb.jpg

dam_n! I've ordered an Arai Profile UK Flag from Sportbiketrackgear. I'll let you know if I get butt-f*cked by customs on the duty.

Mate, that's a big risk, 100% is a lot of dosh...... about $500 on the CIF!

Good luck! :)

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=6997

Shoulda done it thru shipito.com and put yr own value on the forms. :D

To charge duty and VAT on safety gear and books is a big no-no in anyone's language....

Edited by GungaDin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 years later...