Insects, Drought Devastate Crops In Thailand

george

Not according to the Oxen!

They should know - assuming they get their updates from the same source as Punxsutawney Phil. :)

LOL

Would you believe too that I tried to explain 'Groundhog Day' to the wife when she was watching the oxen on tv but gave up as her eyes glazed over.

Sad situation indeed. If they can really 'make rain' I wonder why they did not think about it a little earlier. Perhaps too much distraction in Bangkok and things which are more important got neglected. Was watching news about India, prices of food are up 100% or so because of drought this year. The same may be starting here too but let's hope not.

Dams on the Chinese side worry me too, Chinese say the dams do not 'steal' water down the stream but surely if they built 5 it must have some adverse effect on the water level in Mekong. Also the purpose seems to be holding more water on the Chinese side but I am not an expert and this is just my understanding.

The subject of Chinese dams has been discussed into length on this forum and many ignorant people don't understand what's going on.

I seldom or never read anything about Thai, Laos', Cambodian and Vietnamese dams....speaking about biased opinions and suppositions.

Thailand, for instance has an enormous dam, the controversial Pak Mun Dam, controlling the inflow of the Mun river from it's own soil into the Mekong, JUST right before the border of Laos where the waters join the Mekong...or not.... :)

I suggest to study and read a little about the water (in)flow of the Mekong River.

The water inflow from China into the Mekong is just a mere 6%; the majority of inflow of water is coming from Laos with a highest % = 35% and Thailand itself with a substantial 18%) and Cambodia also with 18%.

http://www.mrcmekong.org/ Mekong River Commission

LaoPo

Sad situation indeed. If they can really 'make rain' I wonder why they did not think about it a little earlier. Perhaps too much distraction in Bangkok and things which are more important got neglected. Was watching news about India, prices of food are up 100% or so because of drought this year. The same may be starting here too but let's hope not.

Dams on the Chinese side worry me too, Chinese say the dams do not 'steal' water down the stream but surely if they built 5 it must have some adverse effect on the water level in Mekong. Also the purpose seems to be holding more water on the Chinese side but I am not an expert and this is just my understanding.

The subject of Chinese dams has been discussed into length on this forum and many ignorant people don't understand what's going on.

I seldom or never read anything about Thai, Laos', Cambodian and Vietnamese dams....speaking about biased opinions and suppositions.

Thailand, for instance has an enormous dam, the controversial Pak Mun Dam, controlling the inflow of the Mun river from it's own soil into the Mekong, JUST right before the border of Laos where the waters join the Mekong...or not.... :)

I suggest to study and read a little about the water (in)flow of the Mekong River.

The water inflow from China into the Mekong is just a mere 6%; the majority of inflow of water is coming from Laos with a highest % = 35% and Thailand itself with a substantial 18%) and Cambodia also with 18%.

http://www.mrcmekong.org/ Mekong River Commission

LaoPo

Yes read (some) of that in a report or 2.... What about the dam (under construction) that will end up being the tallest (300m) dam ever built - sorry don't have that particular dam info with me at the moment. I'll have to see if I have some of this on my external drive shortly.