Pattaya Criticism Is Totally Unjustified.

sokal

I think the OP knows the answer to his own question. Perception is king and rules practically everything in the end. Why does a man decorated with tattoos and a potbelly perceived to be less approachable than another wearing khakis and a Hawaiian suite.

I live in Jomtien (Pattaya) but Phuket has its positives that Pattaya can't touch in my opinion:

*Cheap beach chairs at a real beach. Only pay 100 bht and in Pattaya...

*Beautiful destinations 1 hr away

*More tourists in khakis if that is your thing

*Family friendly

*…

I chose Pattay for:

*Its proximity to the Bangkok and basically the rest of Thailand

*The constant energy

*My abode and the views from the patio

*Running clubs – silly, but a reason nonetheless

*Clean air

*Nightlife – which has now become a non-issue with time eroding my interest

*Restaurants and malls

Happy so far with my choice after 12 months. I should have taken a closer look at Hua Hin but don't waste too much time second guessing my decision.

Edited by siamamerican

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many crocodile Dundee's do we have on this thread ?

I like having a place to lay on the beach with some shade and some service.

:)

If you like such a place on the beach maybe Jomtien is just the place for you; you will face "service" every 1-3 minutes, varying from Bananas to Coconuts, ice cream, massage, pedicure, manicure, birds-to-set-free, Pineapple slices, Mango's, hot dogs, fried rice......I'm sure I forgot a dozen or two of other "services they're willing to serve you with....speaking about irritations during a nice day on the beach...... :D

LaoPo

They come and go fast and don't bother you if you are sleeping or at least appear to be resting, for me anyways.

:D ..of course they go fast if they see GWB in that beach chair :D

LaoPo

Pattaya has 3 big shopping centeres, one is huge and brand new. The skyline is full of nice towers. Phuket has basically one. The prices for everything are way cheaper in Pattaya. Way more resturant chains in Pattaya, not so in Phuket.

Basically, all you have said equates to 'money' & blatant consumerism. If you like 'new condo developments', 'free internet services', 'big shopping centres', 'a skyline is full of nice towers' & 'restaurant chains', why on earth are you talking about Pattaya?

Ok, crocodile Dundee. I like the lively atmosphere. I bet most people that listen to you about Pattaya probably think its some run down shanty town with dirt roads where you go to meet women in cages. My point is that it is not.

You never mentioned 'lively atmosphere' before.

What you did mention was 'new condo developments', 'free internet services', 'big shopping centres', 'a skyline is full of nice towers' & 'restaurant chains'.

BTW, I have never & would never, go to any beach in Jomtien/Pattaya due to the pollution, which is completely disgusting.

Edited by elkangorito