Farangs Scamming Farangs

ozzydom

Just go by the old adage neither a lender nor a borrower be. If you stick by this rule you will be ok. Obviously if you want to give some money to someone go ahead but if you are lending to a friend then dont always expect to get it back, sad i know but too often true.

I know a guy who was ripped off by a real pro some years ago. The scammer was a Dutchman living in Thailand for several months. His story, built up skillfully over the months, was that he had a lot of money in a savings account in Jakarta that he couldn't get his hands on and he needed help to get back there. He had an apparently genuine bank book with a lot of money in the account, and portrayed himself as a high roller who would pay generously for help in getting back to Jakarta.

My friend took a copy of his passport and ID and agreed to help for a chunk of money and on condition that he also went to Jakarta, all expenses paid. The scammer immediately bought two heavy gold chains and gave one to my friend. They flew first class to Jakarta on a Friday, but discovered it was a public holiday. Naturally, they stayed at a 5-star hotel and lived like there was no tomorrow. At some time on the Sunday my friend blinked and lost the guy in the corridors of the hotel. Never saw him again and had about US$5000 charged to his credit cards already.

Needless to say, the Dutch Embassy knew this con artist by reputation but couldn't do much as no one could ever find him.

It seems an obvious scam with hindsight, but apparently this scammer was very clever at building up his story over a period of months without being too pushy about it.

I read your reply to my post about being ripped off by Thais. Whatever you live near that you use doesn't work here at the edge of the jungle. :D I do need a car.

Anyway, I first arrived here as a tourist in November 2003 ostensibly just a 2 week vacation. Well this turned into an almost 8 week vacation because I liked it and intended to retire here. During that time I met a swiss fellow who worked for a diving company. Nice guy but poor as a church mouse. Since I intended to return with the possibility of obtaining a non O retirement visa which involved showing a minimum 800,000 baht balance in an account which had to come from outside Thailand. This guy was 52 at the time wanting to do the same. he proposed for me to use his bank account since I did not have an account here as yet. So far so good.

I returned to the US, sold my home and transferred 2 million baht to his account. I returned to Thailand and still everything was on the up and up. I opened an account in my name and transferred 1 million baht to it.

As time went on and when I had the accident in Phuket I needed money. Since my "friend" never did apply for a visa, I asked him to just put all the money into my account.

Here is what happened. It was manna from heaven for him. He started using it frome day one, as if it were his own account.

The following was gleaned from @@@@@@@@@@'s personal Bank Account.

To be used only as proof of funds on hand from USA for retirement visa.

Balance as of March 10th, 2004 3.83BHT :D

Deposit (wire)March 15th, 2004 1,968,980.oo BHT

Withdrawal March 20th, 2004 (Fred) 1,000,000.oo BHT

Balance: 968,983.83 BHT

Unauthorized withdrawals:

24/03/04 10,023.oo

24/03/04 3,460.oo

27/03/04 2,000.oo

29/03/04 10,020.oo

30/03/04 150,000.oo

28/08/04 769,359.oo

04/10/04 100.oo

Total unauthorized withdrawals: 969,985.oo :D

Total amount in account: as of 08/20/05 173.17 BHT :D

I wondered why he suddenly had a new refrigerator, computer, TV etc. He told me that his father had died in Brazil and left him money.

I suppose I was stupid, but it was only money. I escaped the tsunami. I am still healthy enough to enjoy my retirement. I hope he enjoyed it. :o

Greetings, the ol' Captain.

its only fools that get parted from their money :D

Only been scammed once in 6 yrs of going to Thailand, and that was being charged 150 baht for a plate of small chips/fries!!! That was on Coral island in Pattaya. That was making the mistake of not asking the price first. Sure I have had taxi drivers in BKK refuse to switch the meter on, but as soon as they don't I tell them to stop the cab, and that usually gets them to switch it on, and when it doesn't, I jump out at the nearest traffic lights. Without paying of course! But that has only happened twice in over 100 taxi journeys in BKK.

As for the farang scammers, I have met them all, at bars, the street etc, and the best way to get the message to them that your no idiot, is a stern look straight into their eyes, and tell them in a firm voice to "<deleted> Off", that is how you deal with those people. Works for me every time :o I have even had timeshare companys sending a car to pick me up at my hotel/apartment, even when I didn't ask for it, and I just simply go down to the driver and tell him to go away!

Edited by Mr Helper

I know a guy who was ripped off by a real pro some years ago. The scammer was a Dutchman living in Thailand for several months. His story, built up skillfully over the months, was that he had a lot of money in a savings account in Jakarta that he couldn't get his hands on and he needed help to get back there. He had an apparently genuine bank book with a lot of money in the account, and portrayed himself as a high roller who would pay generously for help in getting back to Jakarta.

My friend took a copy of his passport and ID and agreed to help for a chunk of money and on condition that he also went to Jakarta, all expenses paid. The scammer immediately bought two heavy gold chains and gave one to my friend. They flew first class to Jakarta on a Friday, but discovered it was a public holiday. Naturally, they stayed at a 5-star hotel and lived like there was no tomorrow. At some time on the Sunday my friend blinked and lost the guy in the corridors of the hotel. Never saw him again and had about US$5000 charged to his credit cards already.

Needless to say, the Dutch Embassy knew this con artist by reputation but couldn't do much as no one could ever find him.

It seems an obvious scam with hindsight, but apparently this scammer was very clever at building up his story over a period of months without being too pushy about it.

I read your reply to my post about being ripped off by Thais. Whatever you live near that you use doesn't work here at the edge of the jungle. :D I do need a car.

Anyway, I first arrived here as a tourist in November 2003 ostensibly just a 2 week vacation. Well this turned into an almost 8 week vacation because I liked it and intended to retire here. During that time I met a swiss fellow who worked for a diving company. Nice guy but poor as a church mouse. Since I intended to return with the possibility of obtaining a non O retirement visa which involved showing a minimum 800,000 baht balance in an account which had to come from outside Thailand. This guy was 52 at the time wanting to do the same. he proposed for me to use his bank account since I did not have an account here as yet. So far so good.

I returned to the US, sold my home and transferred 2 million baht to his account. I returned to Thailand and still everything was on the up and up. I opened an account in my name and transferred 1 million baht to it.

As time went on and when I had the accident in Phuket I needed money. Since my "friend" never did apply for a visa, I asked him to just put all the money into my account.

Here is what happened. It was manna from heaven for him. He started using it frome day one, as if it were his own account.

24/03/04 10,023.oo

24/03/04 3,460.oo

27/03/04 2,000.oo

29/03/04 10,020.oo

30/03/04 150,000.oo

28/08/04 769,359.oo

04/10/04 100.oo

I wondered why he suddenly had a new refrigerator, computer, TV etc. He told me that his father had died in Brazil and left him money.

I suppose I was stupid, but it was only money. I escaped the tsunami. I am still healthy enough to enjoy my retirement. I hope he enjoyed it. :o

Thats a good one ,coming from someone who still thinks bar-fines are 2000bt :D

24/03/04 10,023.oo

24/03/04 3,460.oo

27/03/04 2,000.oo

29/03/04 10,020.oo

30/03/04 150,000.oo

28/08/04 769,359.oo

04/10/04 100.oo

Thats a good one ,coming from someone who still thinks bar-fines are 2000bt :D

You know I think it depends on what Thais you hang out with, I went on a rifde again for about the fifth time with a group of Thai's here. They have a bit of money these are expensive toys for most Thais. I have been given food and drink on those rides and have never been askled to pay for anything. Sharing an activity with Thais dos not neccesarily mean you have to be the bank.

anyway, when ever I lend, I dont expect to get it back  :D , that way Im never dissapointed.  :o

Agreed, I think this is the safest approach to lending anyone money. If you can't afford to lose it, don't lend. That way you won't be dissapointed (at the very least). Similar approach to gambling, don't gamble with money you can't afford to throw away...