Amtech Water

CDNinKS

• 2 weeks later...

By ordinary bottled water do you mean the white plastic 20 litre jugs with the high security green tape on the caps? Sorry, I won't use those, who knows where they were filled, Somchai's back garden I suspect.

Amtech is an ISO certified company that has proper seals on the tops and the water is sold in clear blue plastic bottles.

Disregard my previous post as I'm going with a reverse osmosis unit and not deal with the hassles of bottled water.

By ordinary bottled water do you mean the white plastic 20 litre jugs with the high security green tape on the caps? Sorry, I won't use those, who knows where they were filled, Somchai's back garden I suspect.

Amtech is an ISO certified company that has proper seals on the tops and the water is sold in clear blue plastic bottles.

Disregard my previous post as I'm going with a reverse osmosis unit and not deal with the hassles of bottled water.

So what in heavens sake is wrong with the 'bottled water' that Makro and Tesco sell? Are you implying that this is not 'clean enough/ safe enough' for you to drink; all these have proper plastic sealed screw tops that are further 'certified' by the thin plastic membrane that has to be removed before you can even get to the 'break plastic screw top'. Do you think that a company of the stature of say 'Nestle' would put their name to a product that you seem to be implying is of 'unsuitable / questionable quality'? I only mention 'Nestle', as being one of the many well known producers of 'drinking water' that are available here at some 29B per 6 litre.

Settle down there musicman, you are gonna have a stroke, we only talking about water. You make it sound as if I have cast aspersions on your wife here. :)

I suppose I should have been clearer in my original post. What I was talking about was 20 liter (5 gallon) plastic jugs that fit upside down in a water cooler. I have not seen those at Tesco/Makro, but if they have them then I thank you for pointing that out to me.

Anyway, this is all a mute point now, as I said I will go with a RO system.

Settle down there musicman, you are gonna have a stroke, we only talking about water. You make it sound as if I have cast aspersions on your wife here. :)

I suppose I should have been clearer in my original post. What I was talking about was 20 liter (5 gallon) plastic jugs that fit upside down in a water cooler. I have not seen those at Tesco/Makro, but if they have them then I thank you for pointing that out to me.

Understand what your talking about now. No, I have not seen the 20litre size that you refer to, but is it not possible to just top them up from the 6litre bottles? Good luck with the RO system. To be honest my wife and I have used the 20litre water supplies on and off for over three years and never had any problems.

IMO you are both correct about the bottled water. We used to use the big white opaque bottles that you turn upside down into a cooler and we got one bottle that tasted and smelled like gasoline, so I started buying the smaller 5 liter bottles by Nestle, Minere, or even Singha. Any of those should be safe but I will never trust the 20 liter refilled bottles again as you are correct, they could just be filled with someone's garden hose or used for another purpose (like gas in my case) and then refilled with water without proper cleaning.

Does the RO system kill all the dangerous bacteria in the water, and do you do it for the house, one tap, or with a stand alone appliance that you fill with water?

I believe that there are various RO systems available. Most with 3 stages of filters and then the RO membrane, but also some then pass the water thru a UV light which is suppose to kill off anything that got thru the membrane.

The units I have seen, both at Homepro and at PURE water company are small enough to fit under the kitchen sink with a small dedicated tap. No, not for the whole house, just drinking water. In the 6 to 9000 baht range.

As far as I know, Amtech water is only available on Koh Samui.

Regarding the term 'drinking water', it is just that. It is plain and simple just basic water with ALL of the minerals taken out.

Using the RO system does the same.

If you want mineral water, them that is another thing completely.