Controversy Swirls Over Rumored Sexuality Of Us Court Candidate

Kind of a sad commentary, but is appears the rumored lesbian sexuality of US supreme court candidate Kagan is going to be a very big issue in her confirmation hearings. Whether it is openly asked of her, or not.

Personally, I don't know if she is a lesbian or not. If she IS a lesbian I wish she would come out of the closet. There is no reason that being openly gay should disqualify anyone from the high court.

The "evidence" of the rumor has to do with things like playing poker, drinking beer, being single, and playing softball. OK, I must admit playing softball does sound rather dyke-like.

Anyway, this shows we STILL have a long way to go, baby ...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...0051305305.html

I like Thailand because Thai people are so accepting of all people. They do not have the hang-ups we Westerners have ... they don't need to pigeon-hole themselves and others as gay / bisexual / straight. They treat the sex act the same way they do eating / sleeping / breathing ... totally natural. I think the unofficial philosophy is: If It Feels Good, Do It!

Peter

I like Thailand because Thai people are so accepting of all people. They do not have the hang-ups we Westerners have ... they don't need to pigeon-hole themselves and others as gay / bisexual / straight. They treat the sex act the same way they do eating / sleeping / breathing ... totally natural. I think the unofficial philosophy is: If It Feels Good, Do It!

Peter

Tell that to the Chiang Mai 51 group who stopped the gay gathering in Chiang Mai under threat of violence. I don't actually believe things are quite as rosy as you believe here in Thailand for people with non-standard sexuality. Anyway ...

I find one of the most unpleasant aspects of the US political system is the way an appointee has to wash his/her dirty linen in public. As for Kagan, no, I don't know and I don't care.

I would still be very surprised if she is publicly asked her sexuality in the confirmation hearings. That would be outrageous. However, I fully expect the right wing republicans to grill her shamelessly about her feelings about the constitutional issues around gay marriage. That will be their flash point.

They will not ask in the hearings, but they will get proxy agents in the right-owned press to smear her. Probably find some of her old flames and bribe them to air the dirty laundry no matter whether straight or gay.

Unfortunately, it sells- if the American people didn't want to know, they would shame the gutter press. It's a shame we have a 1st world country with politics that make the Dark Ages look good.

I am hoping she is NOT a lesbian. Because if she is, she is a major closet case, and that's kind of creepy. Even if she was openly gay and confirmed, that may be a problem also. The reason is that gay marriage IS going to come before the supreme court in the upcoming years. If she is a closet case, she would be made self conscious about how that reflects on her decision. If she was openly gay, she would know that she would be assumed to be NOT objective on such a matter. So frankly, now may not be the right time for a gay justice. Later, after full gay civil rights are realized, that might be a better time.

I am hoping she is NOT a lesbian. Because if she is, she is a major closet case, and that's kind of creepy. Even if she was openly gay and confirmed, that may be a problem also. The reason is that gay marriage IS going to come before the supreme court in the upcoming years. If she is a closet case, she would be made self conscious about how that reflects on her decision. If she was openly gay, she would know that she would be assumed to be NOT objective on such a matter. So frankly, now may not be the right time for a gay justice. Later, after full gay civil rights are realized, that might be a better time.

How many Supreme Court justices are there? Nine? Then one gay out of nine would seem to be a reasonable proportion.