Bad Smells From The Drainage System

Richb2004v2

Thailand is full of bad smells and a lot of them seem to come from the drainage system. Being a hot and very humid country this must be hard to avoid, but I wonder if anything could be done to stop it. Luckily the drain outside my house rarely has this problem, but whilst running around my estate recently I encountered some quite pungent aromas and thought how annoying it would be to have this smell outside your house permanently. I don't suppose that you can complain to anyone about it. So what can you do other than move house? Do other country's with similar climates have the same problem? I've not been in any of them long enough to notice. I've never been, but I always get the impression New York might be like this in the summer.

Proper traps on drains, properly positioned vents on septic systems. Neither seem to be standard here :)

You want smells, try India. Pretty much any tropical country has the same issues to varying degrees.

In Thailand, as well as other countries in the region, there is little or no segregation between foul water and surface water drains. Add to that the people pouring all manner of wastes through the gratings into the surface water (storm) drains and you have the ideal breeding ground for worse stuff than smells.

Flushing water will help but it's coming out of your pocket unless you have a local pond/river you can tap into. If you look around towns you'll see many businesses blanking off the gratings in their area to block the smell. Unfortunately it's many of these businesses than cause the problem in the first place.

Good sanitation is not the reason many people come to this region. :)

when you open it, you see 1 million cockroaches......Sometimes when there is heavy rain the delicious soup is pressed outside of the drainage system and fills our soi....yummy nice and smelly good.....

Reason: the tubes go up and down randomly and are half full with sand...after some time the deepest point collects all the sand and than the tube is complete closed.

When I saw them making it, I am surprised that it sometimes work....new they were half full with sand......