Forced Leave Without Pay

laban

I run a small business which like many have been affected by the troubles in Bangkok.

I have heard that many hotels and other businesses have forced staff to take up to 6 months leave without pay. I may need to lay off staff for a few months until things pick up again.

Can anyone advise on the possibility what the legal status is as I cannot find it in the labour law manuals I have.

I was informed that the staff in the hotels are picking up 75 percent of their salary. Also staff at Siam Ocean World will have their salaries cut due to the instability of the area around their workplace, I think it was 50% of their normal salary.

Well, you will have no other choice but to lay off staff according to paragraph 118 in the Labour Protection Act - unless you can work out a compromise with your staff by, say, cutting 10% of all salaries (higher salaries possibly 15%) in order to avoid laying off personnel.

I'm running a restaurant and had to cut my staff force 50% in order to survive with the restaurant and the remaining staff.

Look, after all, it is definitely not our fault and we have absolutely no say in all this hence if the Thais want it that way round then let them stick it out. It might give them something to think at the next election, or do I assume too much again?