Innoculations

syd barrett

The time has come, I will be travelling to Central Africa soon and I need some injections: those being: yellow fever/Thyphoid/Cholera and Polio.

Qustion is this...I am living in Banglamung, but travel to Bangkok regularly, so should I get jabs locally in Pattaya City or Bangkok. I know that cost/convenience/availability are important considerations.

Anyone, previous knowledge of jabs in Pattaya City and/or Bangkok. Thanks. :o

Some issues regarding the yellow fever vaccination is if other live-virus vaccines are necessary for travel (for example polio, such as you mention, syd), they should be completed on the same day as the yellow fever vaccination. Otherwise, travellers may have to wait for one month before other live virus vaccines can be administered. The live-virus vaccines suppresses the immune system, and will reduce the effectiveness of the Yellow Fever vaccine. The reverse is also true in that yellow fever vaccinations cannot be given within one month of previous live-virus vaccinations. Also, travellers must allow at least 10 days before entering the country for vaccination. The World Health Organization requires that it is administered only at an approved yellow fever vaccination center, so the family doctor or neighborhood clinic or even many hospitals don't stock it. Lastly, the vaccine is only good for a limited amount of time after it's been reconstituted for bulk usage, so the places that DO administer normally only do so on specifically set up dates and at specified times. Sorry, but I'm not sure where the designated sites for it are located in Thailand. Your closest hospital would be a good step to get you in touch with a Public Health Ministry person who would know.

Slim is right about the cholera vaccine. Both the World Health Organization and the Centers for Disease Control now report that no country officially requires cholera vaccination for arriving travelers under International Health Regulations. That will save you from Jab#1.

The polio vaccine is administered as oral liquid drops, so that will save you from Jab#2.

The typhoid vaccine always gives me a sore arm, a slight fever, and a bad headache.. it sucks, but it's worth the protection, as are all vaccinations.

Happy travels... :o

• 6 months later...

http://www.ocpinfo.com/client/ocp/ocphome....38?OpenDocument

15 Jan 2004 Oral Cholera Vaccine - Drug Schedule Change

Recommended as SCHEDULE II - CHOLERA* (ORAL INACTIVATED) VACCINE WHEN USED FOR PROPHYLAXIS AGAINST TRAVELLERS' DIARRHEA DUE TO ENTEROTOXITGENIC ESCHERICHIA COLI (ETEC)

* Note that this scheduling decision only applies to cholera vaccine when indicated for prevention of ETEC related travelers' diarrhea. Because vaccination against cholera is not a currently recommended vaccine for travelers, use for this indication remains under Schedule I.

Please refer to the NAPRA website: www.napra.org for more information on Canada's National Drug Schedules

<from google>

right you are folks!