More Bloodshed In Bangkok As Red Siege Continues

webfact

Farang got angry at the 7-eleven staff. Thai lady was just closing the store and he started to shake her, shouting "Thailand crazy, Thailand crazy... I don't come back for sure"

You were there?

How can 7/11 close their doors, open 24/7 and no locks on the door, BS

and next time post the real link to the twit u <deleted>!!

Edited by iciparis

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

on Thai TV, tomorrow and Tuesday ( May 17 and 18 ) are HOLIDAY, off from work !!

quick calrify : in BANGKOK only !!

I saw the announcement too on TV. Sucks, I do international work with the government. No pay, like for many others. Just got the word from a gov't official after getting off the phone too. shut down Mon and Tue

Will that then include the new Immigration office in Chaengwattana?

My point was not the exact number of killed and injured and I am sorry if I got it incorrect. My point was that the red leaders turned down the offer because they were afraid to go to jail.

So the red leaders are sending young men out to be killed purely because they are scared of going to jail? Thanks for clearing up one question I had.

Please use your head. If soldiers were opening up on the reds with M16s ... you would see a lot more dead than 24 ... and aren't a couple of the dead now being reported to be soldiers?

If it turns out that any of them died to injuries sustained from slingshots I will instantly retract my previous statement. Naturally, all armed enemy combatants are fair play in my book. I just feel I could actually do more damage with my bare hands than with one of the most primitive projectile weapons on the planet so I would not consider it any more armed than, say, someone wielding a stick. Granted that walking around a live fire zone while swinging a stick around isn't the smartest idea either. You certainly won't catch me doing that.

I know what you're trying to say, that it is unfair. But the whole theme of military training is to be unfair; to have better weapons, tactics, training and intelligence, and how to use them to your advantage. This isn't a game of cards, it's bet your life.

Old, old saying: don't bring a knife to a gunfight; or a slingshot, or a stick. Add another "People willing to die, die just as easy" (apologies to Stormin' Norman)

Exactly true. Trained killers kill. Which is why the military should never have been brought into a civil disobedience conflict that was very peaceful before they arrived. The military is just doing their job - killing; it is not their fault. The blame rests with the poor decisions of Abhisit, a very weak leader indeed.

Didn't take you long to be wrong. In any country when things get beyond the control of the local police, the state police, national guard or army are brought in. Since Reds refused to compromise, the Thai police are so untrustworthy and inept, there was no choice but to bring in the army. have you seen the photo of the police delivering tires to the demonstrators today? No matter who you think is politically correct here, do you think the ROYAL Thai police should be supporting an armed resurrection against the Kingdom?

Thai authorities to send Red Cross to evacuate protesters

BANGKOK (AFP)

"They can leave the protest site by every route, and not only children, women and the elderly. Men can also leave the site but they have to show they are unarmed."

- from AFP -

Whoa, wait a moment. Any men wanting to leave the demonstration should be scrutinized. Otherwise, authorities could be letting insurgents leave. Plus, aren't there still about a dozen Red leaders with warrants for their arrest? (they said they'd turn themselves in on May 15th, but we all knew that was a lie). It wouldn't be difficult to do a bit of disguise/ruse, and simply slip out. There may also be women demonstrators who were making/shooting weapons and otherwise aiding the insurgents, but perhaps a bit of leniency is in order for them. But if all the men are allowed to skip free, then it will be a replay of the many recent times cops let bad guys easily slip away.

Live Picture: Rama4 / klong Toei Market Intersection. New tires just delivered: http://twitpic.com/1oa2de /via @lindavanderwijk

Ok, just heard the driver of a truck carrying tires to a hot zone was shot in arm. I don't favor injury as a rule (I cringe whenever anyone gets shot in a movie), but there's got to be more of that sort of interdiction - where security forces dynamically thwart such supplies entering the hot zones.

MCOT: Red Shirt leaders: Ready to resume talks with government provided army stops security operation; wants UN to mediate

:):D Mummy they hurt me.

Maybe the UN should also get involved each time armed robbers are hold up in a bank with police surrounding them.

UN response to the reds ... go home and we'd be happy to mediate talks.

What about 25 people kille and several 100 injured because of this:

However, another red-shirt core member Chinawat Haboonpad, said the UDD leadership was still in unity but some leaders had a different view.

"At first, we [the red-shirt leaders] agreed to end the rally but people have died during the political clashes. We then could not come into terms because none of us want to be in prison without receiving a fair treatment," Mr Chinawat said. "If the emergency decree is revoked the police could detain us further for 84 days."

From BP

And where were these people killed? I'm open to correction, but it's my understanding that they were all outside the "accepted" area of the red camp? Some came from inside the camp to meet the soldiers, others came from outside. They went to the mountain, the mountain didn't come to them. Really, if you don't want to be hit on the head by a falling rock then don't go near the mountain. And especially don't go there and throw things at it in an attempt to dislodge said rock. Simple.

And as for the quote you included "Chinawat Haboonpad, said the UDD leadership was still in unity but some leaders had a different view", what a brilliant statement. How about "the reds and yellows are in unity, but some have a different view"? Maybe my discounted theory about them being a bunch of idiots who really see nothing wrong with provoking heavily armed, nervous troops needs to be revived.

I am sorry if you get me swrong. My point is only that all this happens because some red leaders was afraid of goin to jail. Instead thye open up for this mayhem. I agree with everyone saying that all the blame is on the side of the red leaders.

Thai authorities to send Red Cross to evacuate protesters

BANGKOK (AFP)

"They can leave the protest site by every route, and not only children, women and the elderly. Men can also leave the site but they have to show they are unarmed."

- from AFP -

Whoa, wait a moment. Any men wanting to leave the demonstration should be scrutinized. Otherwise, authorities could be letting insurgents leave. Plus, aren't there still about a dozen Red leaders with warrants for their arrest? (they said they'd turn themselves in on May 15th, but we all knew that was a lie). It wouldn't be difficult to do a bit of disguise/ruse, and simply slip out. There may also be women demonstrators who were making/shooting weapons and otherwise aiding the insurgents, but perhaps a bit of leniency is in order for them. But if all the men are allowed to skip free, then it will be a replay of the many recent times cops let bad guys easily slip away.

Live Picture: Rama4 / klong Toei Market Intersection. New tires just delivered: http://twitpic.com/1oa2de /via @lindavanderwijk

Ok, just heard the driver of a truck carrying tires to a hot zone was shot in arm. I don't favor injury as a rule (I cringe whenever anyone gets shot in a movie), but there's got to be more of that sort of interdiction - where security forces dynamically thwart such supplies entering the hot zones.

So, if you want to get a weapon out ... just give it to the wife or your kid?!?!?!?

Please use your head. If soldiers were opening up on the reds with M16s ... you would see a lot more dead than 24 ... and aren't a couple of the dead now being reported to be soldiers?

If it turns out that any of them died to injuries sustained from slingshots I will instantly retract my previous statement. Naturally, all armed enemy combatants are fair play in my book. I just feel I could actually do more damage with my bare hands than with one of the most primitive projectile weapons on the planet so I would not consider it any more armed than, say, someone wielding a stick. Granted that walking around a live fire zone while swinging a stick around isn't the smartest idea either. You certainly won't catch me doing that.

I know what you're trying to say, that it is unfair. But the whole theme of military training is to be unfair; to have better weapons, tactics, training and intelligence, and how to use them to your advantage. This isn't a game of cards, it's bet your life.

Old, old saying: don't bring a knife to a gunfight; or a slingshot, or a stick. Add another "People willing to die, die just as easy" (apologies to Stormin' Norman)

My issue is with disproportionate force, nothing to do with fair. Has marshall law been declared? Are slingshots illegal? Are they considered weapons of war? Someone earlier mentioned they had received a warning for using a slingshot in the US during the 70's. Would it have made more sense for the police to just shoot him with an M-16? It leaves too much to interpretation especially since I know of no one to yet succumb to sling shot wounds, but the military is giving themselves extremely negative PR by firing against such weakly armed hooligans and it could potentially work against them in the long run, which is what I am fearing.

I want this situation to be resolved, but I just don't feel like this is going to solve anything. While paramedics and random rioters are dropping, the real, armed insurgents are using guerrilla and hit and run tactics all while using these more harmless (slingshot, tire burning, camera men, underwear guy, etc) people as human shields. Most of the rioters out there can and should be handled with tear gas, water trucks and a bit of roughing up. The problem is that behind them are armed, unknown insurgents who apparently even have their own snipers.

In short, everything's just a giant mess. Just my 2 cents.

Politician game, Sure Abhisit cannot accept a mediationof UN as it is "Thai Internal Affairs" .....

He should have ask himeself UN mediation long time ago. What it means that it is Thai internal affairs? The Ireland case was not internal affairs? The Cyprus case is not internal affairs? The Darfur case is not internal affairs? Give me a break all of you that you don't want to talk about the possibility of having UN mediation! WHY? What the government afraid of asking UN mediation? To loose face? He has lost face long time ago! The US embassy is evacuating non-essential staff. Do you know what this means in the diplomatic language? It means that they do not trust the country's government as a credible government that can assure the public safety of civilians!

It means that your Ambassador was one of the coward who was the first on the roof in SAIGON and thinks I don't wanne miss that chopper now.

Guess that some on this forum already have started packing, because Viking 75, redparot and many other reds weren't here for some time, or have they joint the protesters???

I doubt it!!

sick as a red parrot maybe? post-105662-1274009911.gif

on Thai TV, tomorrow and Tuesday ( May 17 and 18 ) are HOLIDAY, off from work !!

I saw the announcement too on TV. Sucks, I do international work with the government. No pay, like for many others. Just got the word from a gov't official after getting off the phone too. shut down Mon and Tue

in the usual Thai practice here - the banks and the government offices will be closed :-(

I was trapped in a similar event for a re-entry permit before departure, the immigration was closed. hope you are not in a critical situation !

yes, ALL gov't offices. maybe they can waive any overstay. They cant shut down for more than two days or it will be devastating to them. (top officials are still meeting of course, but doors closed to the public.) yeah, its gonna cause problems. d_mned if they do, d_amned if they dont the official told me.

MCOT: Red Shirt leaders: Ready to resume talks with government provided army stops security operation; wants UN to mediate

stopping security operations would allow resupply and reinforcement.

un mediation would imply negotiation between equals.

Is there a point in there somewhere?

Stop making silly excuses. Time for some real leaders take over to stop this insanity and think about the people they are klilling.

Saying we can't stop now is stupid. Can't anyone see the need to think outside the box?

At 17.45 around 50 bikes ride through Huai Kwang, passing the food market and food stalls, honking their horns and shouting. Red guards (saw 3, most likely a few more around) in civilian clothes but carrying walki-talkies walk fast along the side walks, monitoring.

Where exactly? I live in Huai Kwang.

Platchasongkla, or however the name is spelled...

LOL .. not the main road that turns into Asoke? I am off Prachratchbumphen (spelling?) and the main road is Rachaprasong (spelling?) that has the mall and Carefour on it that leads into Asoke.

The market fairly close to the Huai Kwang MRT. Will check Google earth for coordinates...

If anyone is interested in the reality of what really is happening in BKK go the NY Times and do a search on the current situation.

I dont think I can include the link due to censorship!

Thats one of the funniest things i have ever read on here

turn to the media if you want to know the reality of whats going on :D

:D:D

you are joking arent you?

I suspect the "reality" as you say, is usually found where the opinion voiced mirrors that of your own :)

Stop making silly excuses. Time for some real leaders take over to stop this insanity and think about the people they are klilling.

Saying we can't stop now is stupid. Can't anyone see the need to think outside the box?

Simple, tell your red friends to pack and go home!

All of your posts are absolutely ridiculously biased....

I really can not read your crap anymore.....

But please keep on posting........We are in a democracy

Why is it you allow the rightwing to insult like this Thaivisa?

Right-wing? :)

No clue what he is talking about....

If anyone is interested in the reality of what really is happening in BKK go the NY Times and do a search on the current situation.

no problem to post links here look:http://www.saedang.freeforums.org/topic-t2107.html

or did you mean the article of some forbidden topic???

Edited by iciparis

It's strange how the international media always seem to leave out the 'Thaksin link' when they report on this. It's such an important piece in the puzzle that to me it even feels suspicious that they don't mention this, almost like he's greased a few palms in the west (oh it does happen!). Instead they talk about the 'rural poor' versus the 'elite', and associate the word democracy with the very people who ruin the very idea by happily selling their vote fot the price of a couple of beers!

I think that the bbc/cnn and the rest of these 'non-biased' organisations should get to the real truth which is far more interesting than the story which they're currently reporting.

Why don't they ask the red shirts how much they're getting paid? Ask them why they think Thaksin is so great and what he could do for the country should he return. Ask them how they think that Thaksin, as a convicted criminal, could possibly plan to be taken seriously by the international community, should he manage to bully his way back into office.

Ask them why they are using women and children as a human shield.

Ask them why they risk their lives for a greedy evil billionaire?

Why can't the press get an interview with Thaksin? A few well placed questions will simply destroy him.

Why don't the international media do their job rather than appearing to be the heroes in the danger zone, reporting alongside the red-shirt 'freedom fighters'?

My point? It appears that Thaksin has more than just a few red-shirts in his back pocket!!!

It makes a better story.

The Reds have some honest complaints but they passed on the deal for what? Anarchy? Time has come. They can piss off.

Exactly true. Trained killers kill. Which is why the military should never have been brought into a civil disobedience conflict that was very peaceful before they arrived. The military is just doing their job - killing; it is not their fault. The blame rests with the poor decisions of Abhisit, a very weak leader indeed.

How exactly is illegally seizing billions of dollars in public and private property peaceful?

How exactly is putting 60K+ people out of work illegally peaceful?

How exactly is raiding a hospital peaceful?

How exactly is raiding the government house and forcing MPs to runaway in terror peaceful?

How exactly is raiding a TV station peaceful?

How exactly is arming oneself and building gas soaked barricades to prevent enforcement of laws peaceful?

I can go on and on without even mentioning all the bombings that came to town with the reds but I already know that you will not back up your untruthful statement where you not only say they were peaceful but VERY PEACEFUL.

The only thing that slowed them down was when the Gov't showed it wouldn't tolerate them from marching or intimidating others anywhere else illegally.

Edited by jcbangkok

All this talk of sling shots is tedious. Ok, sling shots can cause injury and even death, but that's not the core issue. GRENADES HAVE BEEN LAUNCHED FROM RED ENCAMPMENTS. Let's not lose sight of what's really been happening. And yes, security troops have been using rifles with real bullets, but they haven't yet used grenades.

Methinks the Reds are running low on grenades because there have been fewer launched.

Also, don't underestimate a crafty adversary. Stories are coming in that vehicles looking like ambulances are actually ferrying supplies to the Reds (new grenades perhaps?). And Reds may be donning cop and troop uniforms in order to further aggravate the situation. Know thy opponent! Good luck to the gov't troops. Keep it restrained, it shouldn't last too much longer.

You must be talking about Thaksin, Arisman, Nuttawut, Seh Daeng, Weng, Veera and Jautporn. They have the power to end this. Well, Thaksin does anyway.

Uh, what? NY Times is not censored nor a banned medium here, stop the hyperbole crap...

Simple, tell your red friends to pack and go home!

So that's your idea of outside the box? With that kind of thinking you deserve the inevitable. What a waste of time!

All of your posts are absolutely ridiculously biased....

I really can not read your crap anymore.....

But please keep on posting........We are in a democracy

Why is it you allow the rightwing to insult like this Thaivisa?

Right-wing? :)

No clue what he is talking about....

or who .. in terms of the OP

Is there a point in there somewhere?Stop making silly excuses. Time for some real leaders take over to stop this insanity and think about the people they are klilling.Saying we can't stop now is stupid. Can't anyone see the need to think outside the box?

excellent!! i'm so glad you agree with me.

no more silly excuses.

time to stop this insanity........end the protest.

think about the people they are killing.......let the women and children go home, stop attacking the soldiers.

yes, let's stop now.....yes, we can!!!