Driving In Germany With An Idp From Thailand.

Hi, sorry to ask a question regarding driving in another European country like Germany with a Thai drivers' license and an IDP. ( International Drivers' License issued in Thailand)

I'll have to go to Europe pretty soon, made my International drivers' license and I'd like to know if that's legal in Germany. I've heard that holders of a license from countries like Thailand will have to 'legalize' the IDP in Germany. I'd be thankful for any advice.

Germany has pretty rough laws regarding drivers' licenses. I'm asking this question because I'd like to have a surgery in a German hospital and might have to use my Thai license. Thanks for any further information regarding German laws.

My point being is that I want to make sure that I'm not doing anything against the German law. Need my police clearance when I'm coming back to LOS, so no trouble with German cops needed.

Edited by Sisaketmike

Short look via Google shows (pages in German) that you should have no problem with a legal Thai Driving Licence and a legal Thai International Driving Licence. I guess your permanent Adress is here in Thailand and not Germany.

I, your license is valid during a temporary stay in the Federal Republic of Germany.

Do you have a valid national or international driver's license, may run in the Federal Republic of Germany, the motor vehicles of categories for which your license is issued. have constraints and limitations to take note of your driving license here. Your license also applies if you are above in the Federal Republic of Germany has not for the particular class required minimum age. The license must be carried while operating the vehicle.

If you have an international driver's license, no translation is required.

A translation of the national driving license, you must carry if it:

* Is not issued in a Member State of the European Union (EU) or state party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area (EEA) (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway) or

* Is not in German or

* Not the Convention on Road Traffic of 8 November 1968 (Annex 6), applies. If your driver's license with Annex 6 requirements, you can ask the competent authorities of the issuing state.

German translations may, among others, German or internationally recognized automobile clubs of the country issuing the license, official bodies of the country issuing of driver's license, court-appointed and sworn interpreters and translators in general and German diplomatic missions are made.

In the following States, the Federal Republic of Germany renounced the carriage of a translation:

Andorra *,

Hong Kong *,

* Monaco,

* New Zealand,

* San Marino,

Switzerland and *

* Senegal.

I, your license is valid during a temporary stay in the Federal Republic of Germany.

Do you have a valid national or international driver's license, may run in the Federal Republic of Germany, the motor vehicles of categories for which your license is issued. have constraints and limitations to take note of your driving license here. Your license also applies if you are above in the Federal Republic of Germany has not for the particular class required minimum age. The license must be carried while operating the vehicle.

A translation of the national driving license, you must carry if it:

* Is not issued in a Member State of the European Union (EU) or state party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area (EEA) (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway) or

* Is not in German or

* Not the Convention on Road Traffic of 8 November 1968 (Annex 6), applies. If your driver's license with Annex 6 requirements, you can ask the competent authorities of the issuing state.

German translations may, among others, German or internationally recognized automobile clubs of the country issuing the license, official bodies of the country issuing of driver's license, court-appointed and sworn interpreters and translators in general and German diplomatic missions are made.

In the following States, the Federal Republic of Germany renounced the carriage of a translation:

Andorra *,

Hong Kong *,

* Monaco,

* New Zealand,

* San Marino,

Switzerland and *

* Senegal.

Thanks a lot for your advice.

Short look via Google shows (pages in German) that you should have no problem with a legal Thai Driving Licence and a legal Thai International Driving Licence. I guess your permanent Adress is here in Thailand and not Germany.

I'll have to have a temporary address in Germany for several reasons, does that still mean that I'm allowed to drive, even when I'm only staying for three months?

Edited by Sisaketmike

Agreed your Thai drivers license with the Thai Land Transport Department issued International Drivers Permit (IDP) will be valid in Germany.

I'd like to know what you are referring to, as there is no such thing as an "international drivers license." Who are you claiming issues it? There are lots of scam companies willing to sell you a bogus one for good money though. (see Google ad banner on this forum, for example)

Edited by ScubaBuddha

Agreed your Thai drivers license with the Thai Land Transport Department issued International Drivers Permit (IDP) will be valid in Germany.

I'd like to know what you are referring to, as there is no such thing as an "international drivers license." Who are you claiming issues it? There are lots of scam companies willing to sell you a bogus one for good money though. (see Google ad banner on this forum, for example)

gougouluxembourg did just copy and past the official German Information of the Bundesministerium für Verkehr blabla bla.................. Information in English looks like they do exist for the German Government, you learn every day, dont you?

Most countrys will give you an official International Driving Licence (or what ever you like to call it) (if you ask and pay). Its nothing more then a translation of the National Licence into different Languages. It is just valid together with your National Driving Licence.

Its not possible to get this in a legal Version at Kao San Road (or for 6 k Baht over the Internet from the USA), its issued by the individual Country.

gougouluxembourg did just copy and past the official German Information of the Bundesministerium für Verkehr blabla bla.................. Information in English looks like they do exist for the German Government, you learn every day, dont you?

Most countrys will give you an official International Driving Licence (or what ever you like to call it) (if you ask and pay). Its nothing more then a translation of the National Licence into different Languages. It is just valid together with your National Driving Licence.

Its not possible to get this in a legal Version at Kao San Road (or for 6 k Baht over the Internet from the USA), its issued by the individual Country.

Thank you very much for your help, I've got all the needed information.

Most countrys will give you an official International Driving Licence (or what ever you like to call it)(It's called an IDP )(if you ask and pay). Its nothing more then a translation of the National Licence into different Languages. It is just valid together with your National Driving Licence.

I read that section on the website, and it does indeed say 'International Drivers Licenses need no translation" but what the heck are they talking about? They clearly define IDP in the previous paragraph so it's not that. The only thing I can think thay might be referring to is the newer EU licenses they issue now. They must be referring to that as an "international drivers license" If so, then it makes more sense to me.

http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction...;guiLanguage=en

Edited by ScubaBuddha