Reds Gathering In Chiang Mai

bggg

Have heard from friends that Reds have gathered in large numbers near the US consulate and Thapae Gate. Red motorcycles with flags parading around the square at Thapae. This was around noon.

Anyone have further info?

The convoy went up Thanon Suthep.

Are you sure ?

Thanon Suthep is and has been quite all day.

Did they not go up the road to Doi Suthep, Haui Kaeo.

Popular problem with tourists who think Thanon Suthep leads to Top of Doi Suthep.

john

We have been lucky in that very little has happened in Chiang Mai. But, I think we should take care, and not get too blase' about it. I apologise if i in any way come across as alarmist, but i guess following the news practically 24/7 will do that to a person. Its extremely distressing what is happening in Bangkok, and we have no idea how that may affect emotions in other provinces. I would personally say best to avoid areas where they are congregating and areas that may be major targets. Just during this time of deep unrest. I wish everyone safe. I also wish the same to those who are in Bangkok.

Are you sure ?

Popular problem with tourists who think Thanon Suthep leads to Top of Doi Suthep.

john

I saw a few truckloads on Huay Kaew maybe 3 hours ago, at the intersection with Nimmanhemin. It wasn't much of a convoy, and they all looked pretty happy.

Are you sure ?

john

Yes I am sure it was Suthep, as we were behind them and they turned and we proceeded to Huew Keaw, maybe they then turned on Niman... I saw a about 30 vehicles with flags and signs etc, also guys directing traffic where to turn. Thought they might be going to Wat Suan Dok, just a guess. (poular problem?)

Perhaps the redshirts in Chiang Mai are more intelligent than the redshirts in Bangkok. We should give Chiang Mai redshirts a little credit for expressing their opinions in a peaceful manner.

Hope your post doesnt come back to you and bite you right in the ass

Perhaps the redshirts in Chiang Mai are more intelligent than the redshirts in Bangkok. We should give Chiang Mai redshirts a little credit for expressing their opinions in a peaceful manner.

They are exactly the same red shirts. Was this post an attempt at humour or just ignorant?

or possibly the real agitators and militant tendency from chiang mai are down in bangkok at present?

They are exactly the same red shirts. Was this post an attempt at humour or just ignorant?

They must have supernatural powers being in two places at once! Or are you just tarring all with the same brush?

Unless they want to stop a parade.

They won't be doing too much of anything if this weather keeps up :)

Let's hope it does. It feels great.

I did not see any redshirts near Thapae Gate today and my staff say the same. If they were around, it must have been some what low key.

They won't be doing too much of anything if this weather keeps up :)

Let's hope it does. It feels great.

I did not see any redshirts near Thapae Gate today and my staff say the same. If they were around, it must have been some what low key.

On the news they just showed a rather large group of them gathering at what looked like the Mae Rim Road. Who knows what they have in store for this evening. Hopefully it will be peaceful.

With the red flags displayed around town, there seems to be a large following, but the flags seem to be on vehicles whose drivers are employed and making a living. I figure the deadbeats are down south collecting what they can, as I noted before the purse snatching, etc seem to have decreased (as far as news reports) since the call to Bangkok. Just hope CM stays this way, even the police are noticed, by their absence on the moat (helmet, papers checks)

I was delayed by them at the Rincome junction this afternoon around 12:30. The police let the Nimanheiman to superhighway lights stay on green for around 5 minutes to let them through. Loads of motorbikes followed by around 20 cars and pick ups. I guessed they were heading to city hall but haven't read anything to confirm this. They seemed in good spirits but so would I be if I were allowed to drive around Chiang Mai without the inconvenience of waiting at junctions for other people.

With the red flags displayed around town, there seems to be a large following, but the flags seem to be on vehicles whose drivers are employed and making a living. I figure the deadbeats are down south collecting what they can, as I noted before the purse snatching, etc seem to have decreased (as far as news reports) since the call to Bangkok. Just hope CM stays this way, even the police are noticed, by their absence on the moat (helmet, papers checks)

If you have such a low opinion of Thais, there are planes that leave CM everyday that could take you back to your home country. Just think, you wouldn't have to gripe about visa runs or impolite immigration anymore. We'd be happy also.

If you have such a low opinion of Thais, there are planes that leave CM everyday that could take you back to your home country. Just think, you wouldn't have to gripe about visa runs or impolite immigration anymore. We'd be happy also.

Red Shirts = Thais (presumably)

All Thais != Red Shirts

It is easily possible to have a low opinion of the estimated 5-10,000 remaining red shirts in the BKK protest area yet still be fond of a country with many million citizens.

Did you misread the post?

Is this what's known as flaming?

David

No, I think that's what's known as being a <deleted> David - very prevalent on TV but not so much in this forum. Slapout made a valid point but "khun" Jamespittman couldn't resist a cheap shot. I see it all the time in other sub-forums and hope it doesn't become the norm here.....

Cheers,

Pikey.

No, I think that's what's known as being a <deleted> David - very prevalent on TV but not so much in this forum. Slapout made a valid point but "khun" Jamespittman couldn't resist a cheap shot. I see it all the time in other sub-forums and hope it doesn't become the norm here.....

Cheers,

Pikey.

The self titled jamespittman makes similar comments all over the place. Just stick him on your ignore list :)

I think being a bit of an alarmist never hurt anybody.

I also think that if the redshirts are defeated in Bangkok and scurry off back up north ,they will eventually want to secede from Thailand and form their own state and then it'll really be on for young and old !!

I think being a bit of an alarmist never hurt anybody.

I also think that if the redshirts are defeated in Bangkok and scurry off back up north ,they will eventually want to secede from Thailand and form their own state and then it'll really be on for young and old !!

The sense of Thai nationalism in the north coincides with 99% of the rest of Thailand. Redshirts aren't protesting for a separate state; they are protesting for a more just society. However, the people who lead them and who they think have their interests at heart are really just in it for themselves imo.

I'd be happy if trollish comments like yours were filtered out.

DAENG AMNAT!!

ONLY 2 LEADERS LOVED THE WORKERS OF THIS ONCE GREAT COUNTRY, HIS MAJESTY & THAKSIN.

IT SADDENS ME HOW THIS PUPPET REGIME TURNED THE ARMY ONTO THEIR OWN PEOPLE

DAENG AMNAT.

REGARDS SONGHKLASID

Just out of interest when was it a great country?