Why Would A Westerner Go To Thailand

cangetman

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After all your reasons not to stay - it's still better than the UK.

Live your dreams.

NormanW.

Same for me.

One man's meat is another man's poison, it`s all down to preference.

For many who move here solely for the girls, are going to be disappointed.

Over the last 10 years, women have become the most expensive commodity here in Thailand, especially for the middle aged and elderly Farangs. So if you have the money and lots of it, ENJOY.

If you're on a regular pension or mediocre sort of income, this will afford you a dog or a cat as a permanent companion.

Although one should remind oneself that theres far more loyalty to be had from a dog. That is unless you've slipped into total delusion :)

My advice for the OP is next time you want to buy property, think with your head not with your penis. That being said I can understand your feeling and wish you good luck with the sale of 'your' property.

cheers for advice sadly the small head usually wins :)

Although one should remind oneself that theres far more loyalty to be had from a dog. That is unless you've slipped into total delusion :D

That's true. Just put your dog and your girl friend or wife in the trunk of the car and leave them there for an hour. Open the trunk and see who is still happy to see you. :)

cangetman ,

at least, you admit to your mistakes ,,

many farangs feel secure in thailand ,,

buy a house ,, which they can not own ..

it,s like building a house on a swamp .

reasons , for coming to thailand ,,

simple ,, what brought most of us here ,,

CHEAP SEX ...

cangetman ,

CHEAP SEX ...

As Toptuan succinctly put it (a snip from his original quote)

Incidentally, I resent the stereotypes suggested by the OP.

The OP made a presumption about westerners coming to Thailand for the women. I am sure many do. But tbh it is also quite droll to assume that about us.

Just as there are many men who enjoy the ramblings of a local tuk tuk driver along the lines of "you like Thai lady?", i also know many men who find it annoying. Not to mention the ones who are downright insulted by the idea that they are here for "cheap sex". Most of us enjoy intimate relationships, but not all of us feel its what defines us, or our sole reason for traveling somewhere. Some of us actually enjoy relationships as a part of our normal existence in this world, as part of a package of where we choose to live, but not as our ultimate reason or goal.

cangetman ,

CHEAP SEX ...

As Toptuan succinctly put it (a snip from his original quote)

Incidentally, I resent the stereotypes suggested by the OP.

The OP made a presumption about westerners coming to Thailand for the women. I am sure many do. But tbh it is also quite droll to assume that about us.

Just as there are many men who enjoy the ramblings of a local tuk tuk driver along the lines of "you like Thai lady?", i also know many men who find it annoying. Not to mention the ones who are downright insulted by the idea that they are here for "cheap sex". Most of us enjoy intimate relationships, but not all of us feel its what defines us, or our sole reason for traveling somewhere. Some of us actually enjoy relationships as a part of our normal existence in this world, as part of a package of where we choose to live, but not as our ultimate reason or goal.

I.m with you Eek.

I first came here back in 1993 to work for 3 months and then again in 1994 for another 3 months that ran into nearly 4 years.

At the end of that I divorced my UK wife and in 2000 married the girl I first met in 1993.

I came back again in 2001 for another 3 months work which ran into 16 months but by then we had moved to Thailand permanently.

I live up country and I get bored with tuk tuk drivers and other hustlers offering me Thai ladies and now I don't go to BKK that much as the few things I want are not Thai ladies but books to read and a decent curry now and again plus I get my meds there as well.

The VA in Manila is surprisingly good, the American food is much better in the PI than Thailand

err.... just what is "american food" ??

I have been living in or not far from Cebu for many years and I have not encountered this craving for Western food, and if I did decide to have a burger for dinner, it was either because the Thai places here were too far away or I just couldn't bare even the thought of the one or the other Pinoy dish.

After many visits to the Kingdom over the years I am seriously considering the move out of PI to Thailand, possibly for 6 months a year, because life IS beautiful there and possibly not quite as tiring as here in PI.

cangetman ,

CHEAP SEX ...

Reason enough..

Coming to Thailand- no not a good idea now!

Staying in Thailand or not, seems more appropriate to OP's position!

No, not if you are not prepared to buckle down and survive, these are very challenging times. Currency levels may be like this for some time to come and the general troubles will worsen.

Still, nice to be here in so many ways.

Over the last 10 years, women have become the most expensive commodity here in Thailand, especially for the middle aged and elderly Farangs. So if you have the money and lots of it, ENJOY.

I'm middle aged, never pay for my women here except for the occasional meal.

Am I doing something wrong? ;-)

The property here in Thailand is all in my Thai wife's name and if our relationship were ever to fail, I can walk away and never miss any meals. There will NOT be any law suits.

Gary has it right,

He has a choice, now if some guys came to Thailand and sunk every dime they had into a land and house deal with a woman young enough to be their grand daughter, then maybe it's different matter for them.

I know many people who are comfortable in the fact that they can afford to walk away for whatever reason, and still not be destitute. If it's the total opposite then that's just bad planning on the Farangs part.

I have a house in the NE of Thailand, if I was to part with my wife, she is totally welcome to it, in fact I would have it no other way, I refuse to hold a woman to ransom financially and have made sure my wife is financially independent from me in every way.

I knew a guy that lived with a very young woman, he was in his 60's, she in her teens, he virtually held her as a prisoner by financial constraints and threats, totally wrong in my opinion, but he thought he could control her that way.

She ended up leaving him with nothing in her pocket, she met another guy and is now very happy.

To all of those people who have found a reason to dislike Thailand and now want to leave.

Do not let the door hit you in the a-- on the way out

Ahhh another Thailand is perfect poster.

People like you are another reason not to live there.

Edited by makescents

Compared with the PI, Thailand has a much better infrastructure, much better food.

Both, Thailand and the Philippines, are tax free for people living on pensions and/or investment, as Naam has pointed out. I wonder why this is rarely mentioned. With the money saved from not paying taxes in my home country, I happily pay 400B farang-fee at national parks here :)

it has been mentioned during the last three years in at least a dozen threads by one poster... namely by my[not so]humble self. therefore i consider my conclusion "income low, tax concerns not existing or negligible" to be correct.

by the way, "no income tax" applies to Malaysia's retiree program too.

Life's Good.

:)

Bill is the only guy I take any notice of, like me he actually lives in Thailand and has done for many years, like me also, he does not whine about the property ownership laws, (That we all knew before we bought property anyway ), who cares anyway, I can't take land with me when I die.

Why on earth Farangs whine about land ownership laws when they know the laws that exists is beyond me. Whining on an internet forum does nothing, you still can't own land, but you already knew that, so why freekin' moan about someting that you already knew ????

I paid for land that will never be in my name, big deal, oh wow, I'll be on my deathbed thinking about it................. and if it was in my name, I'll still be on my deathbed, thinking about it ..... I'd leave it to my wife or kids either way.

Do Farangs think that the land they ' OWN ' will follow them to the afterlife ?

We never own nothing, we just have it for a few years, we die, then somebody else owns it until they die, then somebody else owns it until they die and so on and so on...................................................

Good luck Bill......

No but you could be evicted while you are still alive. You do not own any land as it is not in your name.

The VA in Manila is surprisingly good, the American food is much better in the PI than Thailand

Hmm.  Let's see.  Turkey, corn-on-the-cob, cajun, creole, BBQ (Carolina, southern, and Texas, Tex-Mex, meatloaf, pot-roast, burgers, NY Deli, rocky mountain oysters, many types of steak, pancakes, New England boil, clam chowder (Manhattan and Boston), corn chowder, corn pone, thin-cut French fries and curly fries, ice cream cones, hot dogs, chop suey, fortune cookies, pumpkin pie, southern fried chicken, collard greens, california rolls, reubens, mac and cheese, key lime pie, stone crab--do you really need me to go on? 

Hmm. Let's see. Turkey, corn-on-the-cob, cajun, creole, BBQ (Carolina, southern, and Texas, Tex-Mex, meatloaf, pot-roast, burgers, NY Deli, rocky mountain oysters, many types of steak, pancakes, New England boil, clam chowder (Manhattan and Boston), corn chowder, corn pone, thin-cut French fries and curly fries, ice cream cones, hot dogs, chop suey, fortune cookies, pumpkin pie, southern fried chicken, collard greens, california rolls, reubens, mac and cheese, key lime pie, stone crab--do you really need me to go on?

Carry on, i was enjoying that :)

Hmm. Let's see. Turkey, corn-on-the-cob, cajun, creole, BBQ (Carolina, southern, and Texas, Tex-Mex, meatloaf, pot-roast, burgers, NY Deli, rocky mountain oysters, many types of steak, pancakes, New England boil, clam chowder (Manhattan and Boston), corn chowder, corn pone, thin-cut French fries and curly fries, ice cream cones, hot dogs, chop suey, fortune cookies, pumpkin pie, southern fried chicken, collard greens, california rolls, reubens, mac and cheese, key lime pie, stone crab--do you really need me to go on?

Carry on, i was enjoying that :D

Actually, so was I!  :)

I've got a boeuf bourguignon slow cooking at home tonight, but I couldn't use that example, of course.  But my stomach is already growling.