Why Would A Westerner Go To Thailand

cangetman

Op, you forgot to add you can't stay for more than 365 days, unless you get permanent residency, which less than 0.001 foreigners can obtain.

But I am with Bild766, 8+ years with a Thai sex partner (and yes, she has house, car in her name provided by myself) and don't give sh3t if I need to execute plan B and leave tomorrow :)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. your post just reinforces why I rent. :)

Thats great, I'm happy for you.

I came to Pattaya in 1990, I could buy a terraced bungalow in a farang village for less than 400,000 baht, I could buy a great house for 1 million.

Rent either for 20 years and it will cost you more.

But hey, you know best................ :D

If you bought the condo at 25 baht to the dollar in 1990 it would have cost you $16,000.

In 1998 the you could have bought a condo for 56 baht to the dollar.

Then there is the interest income you could have made on the money from 1990 to 1998.

Actually you would have been better off to put the money in the bank between 90 and 98.

Buy hey, you know best.

• Like 1

Got exactly what I needed from Thailand and never plan on returning except for short visits. Thailand has completely turned to shit after I left. Luckily for me the Red Shirt portion of the political bullshit theatre started about a month after I left, and I did not need to leave when the asshol_e Yellow Shirts shut down the airports.

LOS falls under the same category as Southern California (Los Angeles, Anaheim. San Diego) and Orlando, Florida. They are nice to visit for short periods of time to see the tourist attractions and then go home. They dropped off of the list of retirement choices after Khun Thaksin (another jackass corrupt politician) was ousted from power by coup d'etat.

When the babies are grown, I'll be retiring to the Republic of The Philippines. The Heath care is for shit, but the Department of Veterans Affairs has medical care setup in country. The citizenry has a true appreciation for tourists and retirees, especially Americans. The ladies are lovely. The beaches are beautiful. American food is readily available. An American on Social Security can live like a king. And as a plus I will be able to leave my children my property in Balirong, Cebu. With the tradition of Filipinos and Filipinas travelling abroad to support their families have kept them from being xenophobes (LOS) and has added to the culture making them more willing to integrate into other societies. I can't wait to get back to Cebu.

Thailand needs to pull it's head out of it's ass really soon or they will be losing the rest of their long stayers. I don't think the "normal" citizens want to live like the Cambodians. Laotians, or Burmese. I can't imagine living on less than a dollar a day and that is where Thailand is headed. The alternative is a government ala' Ferdinand Marco's oppressive regime of The Philippines circa 1965-1986. If it gets much worse there, a authoritarian government with a supreme dictator will become appealing to the majority. When people have anarchy and a broken government, a dictatorship gets real appealing.

I feel for all of you stuck there, hope you don't have too much money sunk into the country. When the dictatorship takes over Thailand, your assets will be seized right before you are forced out of the country.

"May you live in interesting times." Sounds like it is getting more interesting my the day. Buy some bulletproof underwear and machete proof clothing.

Gunny,

The VA in Manila is surprisingly good, the American food is much better in the PI than Thailand, and the welcome retirees get is better (to include land ownership laws.)  

On the other hand, for a person like me who needs to live in a city with options for eating, shopping, entertainment, etc., Bangkok is light-years above Manila.  And while Cebu is a nice place to visit, to me, it is how you describe San Diego (my hometown).  Only a nice place to visit for a bit, not to live.

To each his own.  And I can truly see those who like the PI better (and I know many VFW members happily retired there.)  But for me, Thailand is a much better fit.  

S/F

When the babies are grown, I'll be retiring to the Republic of The Philippines.

If you were a gunny in the Marine Corps, I certainly do not want to piss you off, but to be blunt, anyone who wants to retire in the Philippines over Thailand needs to have their head examined. Bring your M16.

Semper Fi! :)

If the PI is as good as gunny says, I wonder why he ever came to the LOS in the first place, and why he isnt there just now.

Also ask myself why does the PI have so many OFW's?

Why does every 3rd or 4th girl from the PI want to marry an American and move herself and her family to America?

Yeah the PI, UG sums it up.

Got exactly what I needed from Thailand and never plan on returning except for short visits. Thailand has completely turned to shit after I left. Luckily for me the Red Shirt portion of the political bullshit theatre started about a month after I left, and I did not need to leave when the asshol_e Yellow Shirts shut down the airports.

LOS falls under the same category as Southern California (Los Angeles, Anaheim. San Diego) and Orlando, Florida. They are nice to visit for short periods of time to see the tourist attractions and then go home. They dropped off of the list of retirement choices after Khun Thaksin (another jackass corrupt politician) was ousted from power by coup d'etat.

When the babies are grown, I'll be retiring to the Republic of The Philippines. The Heath care is for shit, but the Department of Veterans Affairs has medical care setup in country. The citizenry has a true appreciation for tourists and retirees, especially Americans. The ladies are lovely. The beaches are beautiful. American food is readily available. An American on Social Security can live like a king. And as a plus I will be able to leave my children my property in Balirong, Cebu. With the tradition of Filipinos and Filipinas travelling abroad to support their families have kept them from being xenophobes (LOS) and has added to the culture making them more willing to integrate into other societies. I can't wait to get back to Cebu.

Thailand needs to pull it's head out of it's ass really soon or they will be losing the rest of their long stayers. I don't think the "normal" citizens want to live like the Cambodians. Laotians, or Burmese. I can't imagine living on less than a dollar a day and that is where Thailand is headed. The alternative is a government ala' Ferdinand Marco's oppressive regime of The Philippines circa 1965-1986. If it gets much worse there, a authoritarian government with a supreme dictator will become appealing to the majority. When people have anarchy and a broken government, a dictatorship gets real appealing.

I feel for all of you stuck there, hope you don't have too much money sunk into the country. When the dictatorship takes over Thailand, your assets will be seized right before you are forced out of the country.

"May you live in interesting times." Sounds like it is getting more interesting my the day. Buy some bulletproof underwear and machete proof clothing.

pretty much the worst post i have ever read on TV. youve left thailand and dont miss it? no PI forums about then?

<deleted>. dollar a day :D

nice one  :)

I came to Pattaya in 1990, I could buy a terraced bungalow in a farang village for less than 400,000 baht, I could buy a great house for 1 million.

If you bought the condo at 25 baht to the dollar in 1990 it would have cost you $16,000.

Then there is the interest income you could have made on the money from 1990 to 1998.

Actually you would have been better off to put the money in the bank between 90 and 98.

Buy hey, you know best.

I rented.

Buy hey, you know best.

I rented.

Any westerner who has invested money in Thailand (provided they do own a saleable asset(s)) has done relatively very well as the value of the Thai Baht vs most western currencies ihas ncreased significantly. You can all go out and have a beer knowing that on paper you are richer for having invested in Thailand vs the west. A big collective well done.

Yah, it's really hard to decide where you'd rather be... Same date but different year.

Thailand...

Railey_Beach_6.sized.jpg

or this...

Lake_Louise.jpg

The second picture is beautiful and I would love to take my wife and son there but only for a holiday. :)

Life's Good.

:D

Bill is the only guy I take any notice of, like me he actually lives in Thailand and has done for many years, like me also, he does not whine about the property ownership laws, (That we all knew before we bought property anyway ), who cares anyway, I can't take land with me when I die.

Why on earth Farangs whine about land ownership laws when they know the laws that exists is beyond me. Whining on an internet forum does nothing, you still can't own land, but you already knew that, so why freekin' moan about someting that you already knew ????

I paid for land that will never be in my name, big deal, oh wow, I'll be on my deathbed thinking about it................. and if it was in my name, I'll still be on my deathbed, thinking about it ..... I'd leave it to my wife or kids either way.

Do Farangs think that the land they ' OWN ' will follow them to the afterlife ?

We never own nothing, we just have it for a few years, we die, then somebody else owns it until they die, then somebody else owns it until they die and so on and so on...................................................

Good luck Bill......

Thanks for that.

If I worried about all the things that are wrong in Thailand, UK and the world I would have died long ago.

I figure that if I can do something about it, I will.

If i can't then why worry about it as it will happen anyway and I still won't be able to stop it. :):D :D

The second picture is beautiful and I would love to take my wife and son there but only for a holiday. :)

Everywhere I go is a holiday, Bill, and it's all beautiful. Thankfully I can write magazine stories about it illustrated with pictures. But, at certain seasons there are DEFINITELY some places I'd rather be than others. After October in British Columbia we can have months on end where you seldom see the sun and to spend time outdoors you have to be bundled up in raingear. I've got to take more photos of the crappy days just to show what I mean. Too often we forget to show the contrast, if for no other reason than to just to illustrate what we mean. The second picture was taken at the famous Banff National Park. It's beautiful in all seasons, but I'd rather be sitting on some warm beach in the Andaman Sea than bundled up in a damp, cold climate.

Everywhere I go is a holiday, Bill, and it's all beautiful. Thankfully I can write magazine stories about it illustrated with pictures. But, at certain seasons there are DEFINITELY some places I'd rather be than others. After October in British Columbia we can have months on end where you seldom see the sun and to spend time outdoors you have to be bundled up in raingear. I've got to take more photos of the crappy days just to show what I mean. Too often we forget to show the contrast, if for no other reason than to just to illustrate what we mean. The second picture was taken at the famous Banff National Park. It's beautiful in all seasons, but I'd rather be sitting on some warm beach in the Andaman Sea than bundled up in a damp, cold climate.

Not over keen on the beach and the sea though it has a lot going for it.

Our place is on the edge of the Mae Wong national park literally at the end of the land though the gate is about 4km up the road.

Beautiful after the rains and we are about 150 metres above sea level and up at Chong Yen which is the end of the real road it is about 1,000 metres.

You can walk about 30 km to Umpang (if you are fit and healthy) but Umpang by road from our house is about 350 km as you have to go via Khampaeng Phet up towards Tak, turn left to Mae Sot and left again.

My brother lives at St Catherines by the Niagra Falls. Nice in summer but freezing in winter.

Me, I prefer hot weather cold drinks and beautiful girls.

Thailand suits me down to the ground.

When the babies are grown, I'll be retiring to the Republic of The Philippines.

If you were a gunny in the Marine Corps, I certainly do not want to piss you off, but to be blunt, anyone who wants to retire in the Philippines over Thailand needs to have their head examined. Bring your M16.

Semper Fi! :)

If the PI is as good as gunny says, I wonder why he ever came to the LOS in the first place, and why he isnt there just now.

Also ask myself why does the PI have so many OFW's?

Why does every 3rd or 4th girl from the PI want to marry an American and move herself and her family to America?

Yeah the PI, UG sums it up.

I think I mentioned this before. The medical care is pretty poor when comparing LOS to the Republic of the Philippines. More importantly, I went to Thailand originally as a medical tourist. In The Philippines it is majority Catholic. Me and my wife wanted to have children but needed fertility treatment (In Vitro Fertilization). The Catholic church does not approve of fertility treatment of any kind. Basically if you have a problem pray and if you don't get help from praying about it and giving your local parish money, so they can pray for you, then GOD does not want you to have it.

IVF in the United States is unbelievably expensive. It would have cost us 10 times what we paid in LOS to have the procedures done in the USA. And as I said there is no fertility treatment in The Philippines.

Biological children is what I got from Thailand. I enjoyed LOS to visit since the time I was in the service. In 2006 the B.S. started and LOS has deteriorated henceforth.

As for the flames received, I hope y'all feel better now that you have insulted another person.

Having the ability to have my children be dual citizens of RP so I will be able to leave them the property and retirement home that me and the Mrs. plan on building on our hectare we have in Balirong. I will definitely visit Thailand again, as a tourist, and to visit with the doctors and nurses that helped us have our babies, thank them, and let the staff see the little ones in person.

As for retiring in The Philippines, I prefer to stay somewhere I am made to feel welcome. IMHO Thailand wants farang money without the farangs. Having family living there is a plus. I have spent about 2 years in each country and personally enjoy living Cebu over Thailand. The only other place I found close in the area was Malaysia, more specifically, Penang, but the cost of living is a bit much for my taste and having served in the Middle East, I have to be honest and say that I am uncomfortable living in an Islamic republic with a majority population of Muslims, call me racist if you must.

All this talk of SEA makes me miss it. But with 1 year old twins I have my priorities. They come first.

All this talk of SEA makes me miss it. But with 1 year old twins I have my priorities. They come first.

Glad you had success with having your own children, gunny. My life would not be near as rich had I not had a son and daughter (and now 3 grand children). Good luck, and I hope you can have your dream and spend time where you choose to live. Although I found the Philippines visually beautiful and the women gorgeous, the Catholic church and all the scammers and corruption put a dint in my appreciation for that country. But, maybe it was just the areas that I chose to visit. I liked the north end of the Palawan Islands and some of the other smaller isllands, but I REALLY didn't like Manila, and Angeles City was a poor man's version of Pattaya... all the bad parts and none of the good. Angeles City was fun for a visit but I couldn't live there. However, that might have changed one time when I met a lovely lady just before we were both leaving the Philippines. Had we been going TO the Philippines I might be married by now.

Why Would A Westerner Go To Thailand?

because a good number of westerners live an extremely comfortable or even luxurious life in Thailand without paying a single penny. all their expenses are covered by the taxes they don't pay in their home countries where they [the taxes] are mostly wasted by politicians. in many cases not only the expenses are covered but a substantial surplus is generated for reinvestment.

questions like the above and applauding answers originate quite obviously from people who don't have an income on which income tax is levied. :)

• Like 1

I get why people live in Thailand, it's an economical and relaxed lifestyle compared to the West. If you are a retiree then I get it even more.

Like I've said before though Thailand is a mixed bag like most places, does get on my tits when fools criticise posters for weighing up pros and cons.

I wouldn't choose to live there myself (I'd choose Singapore or Hong Kong) but I'm connected to the place indirectly.

Edited by makescents

As a tourist, I left with the impression that Thailand is a lot better to visit than to live.  Exceptions being:

-retirees on a pension

-expats who have good jobs in LOS  

Otherwise, I can see life being a PIA.  Not everyone wants to get hitched to some semi-random girl who they pay money to every month so they can actually stay in the country relatively hassle free.  

Why on earth Farangs whine about land ownership laws when they know the laws that exists is beyond me. Whining on an internet forum does nothing, you still can't own land, but you already knew that, so why freekin' moan about someting that you already knew ????

I paid for land that will never be in my name, big deal, oh wow, I'll be on my deathbed thinking about it................. and if it was in my name, I'll still be on my deathbed, thinking about it ..... I'd leave it to my wife or kids either way.

We never own nothing, we just have it for a few years, we die, then somebody else owns it until they die, then somebody else owns it until they die and so on and so on...................................................

If you are old and don't care about where your assets go after you die, this is true.  But not everyone is that old.  What do you tell a 25-30 year old about a 30 year lease?  Similarly, some people want to determine for themselves where their assets go after they die and divide things up as they please.  (brothers/sisters, kids, nieces, etc. - not just wife.)

As a tourist, I left with the impression that Thailand is a lot better to visit than to live.  Exceptions being:

-retirees on a pension

Otherwise, I can see life being a PIA.  Not everyone wants to get hitched to some semi-random girl who they pay money to every month so they can actually stay in the country relatively hassle free.  

If you are old and don't care about where your assets go after you die, this is true.  But not everyone is that old.  What do you tell a 25-30 year old about a 30 year lease?  Similarly, some people want to determine for themselves where their assets go after they die and divide things up as they please.  (brothers/sisters, kids, nieces, etc. - not just wife.)

and why do you guys always rattle about that 30 years lease when there is usufruct?

Compared with the PI, Thailand has a much better infrastructure, much better food.

Both, Thailand and the Philippines, are tax free for people living on pensions and/or investment, as Naam has pointed out. I wonder why this is rarely mentioned. With the money saved from not paying taxes in my home country, I happily pay 400B farang-fee at national parks here :)

The VA in Manila is surprisingly good, the American food is much better in the PI than Thailand

err.... just what is "american food" ??

Whatever it is, that may have been true 20 years ago, but not any more. Thailand has plenty of good Western restaurants these days.

Land in your own name? Not a big deal. I had seven pieces of property in my name when I was in my home country, the good ole USA. I lost them all because of a complicated ridiculous law suit. I'll keep the sad details to myself but, YES there was a greedy stupid woman involved and she wasn't Thai. I eventually won but her lawyers ended up with everything after seven years in court.

The property here in Thailand is all in my Thai wife's name and if our relationship were ever to fail, I can walk away and never miss any meals. There will NOT be any law suits.

There are lots of reasons Im still going to go back to Thailand:

Thai Food just isnt the same as you get in Thailand not even close, Love Thai Food.

Thai women are great, not just for the physical but hey theres just a certain mindset with most of them.

If your getting taken advantage of then its really your own fault especially the double pricing you gotta be smarter than that. Learning the language the culture and style is a big one. Act like a foreigner youll be treated as such. If you get away from the tourist areas you see a different thailand, its the same in any mainly tourist country or place.

theres a whole list of stuff but I dont have time to write more.

If you bought a house in Thailand you obviously knew the rules before hand and if you didnt then A) you didnt do your research, so your own fault and :) If you dont like Thailand Im glad your leaving so you dont ruin for the rest of us.

As a tourist, I left with the impression that Thailand is a lot better to visit than to live. Exceptions being:

-retirees on a pension

Otherwise, I can see life being a PIA. Not everyone wants to get hitched to some semi-random girl who they pay money to every month so they can actually stay in the country relatively hassle free.

If you are old and don't care about where your assets go after you die, this is true. But not everyone is that old. What do you tell a 25-30 year old about a 30 year lease? Similarly, some people want to determine for themselves where their assets go after they die and divide things up as they please. (brothers/sisters, kids, nieces, etc. - not just wife.)

and why do you guys always rattle about that 30 years lease when there is usufruct?

What is usufruct? Thanks

Everyplace has its pros and cons. The ratio is better here when I compare it to my home country. I could get a woman at home, had one when I first came here actually. It's more than just the women. Rules....try and ride down the street with a little trailer behing your motorbike carrying your dogs in Vancouver Canada, or go out without a helmet, or look at a much younger woman with desire, just a few examples.....put a bamboo fence up like I just did here, and the city would come and take it down, if you could find the cheap bamboo in the first place....pull a u-turn and ride down the wrong side for a km or two because you missed your turn or becuase it's more convenient.....ride down the road carrying your weed wacker to the repair shop. I love the Thai Police. They are the laziest bunch of #@!%$# that I have encountered in a long time.

After all your reasons not to stay - it's still better than the UK.

Live your dreams.

NormanW.

Same for me.

One man’s meat is another man’s poison, it`s all down to preference.

For many who move here solely for the girls, are going to be disappointed.

Over the last 10 years, women have become the most expensive commodity here in Thailand, especially for the middle aged and elderly Farangs. So if you have the money and lots of it, ENJOY.

If you’re on a regular pension or mediocre sort of income, this will afford you a dog or a cat as a permanent companion.