U.s. Embassy "town Hall" Meeting

Thanyaburi Mac

Could be interesting, but I live too far out of town to go, especially with the BTS SKYTRAIN not running.

Could also just be a bit of hand stroking but at least they're meeting face-to-face with the non-official American community.

And, not at the JW Marriott this time, that's a bit too close to the firing line.

Mac

from Bangkok ACS <[email protected]>

to Bangkok ACS <[email protected]>

date Sun, May 16, 2010 at 3:40 PM

subject Town Hall Meeting 5-18-2010 at 2:00pm

mailed-by state.gov

hide details 3:40 PM (1 hour ago)

Message to Americans in Thailand

Town Hall meeting: Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 2:00 p.m. at the S31 Hotel,

545 Sukhumvit 31, Klongtoey-Nua, Wattana, Bangkok, in the large

ballroom.

You are invited to attend a Town Hall meeting on Tuesday. Ambassador

Eric G. John, along with other officials from the Embassy, will be

present to discuss the current situation in Bangkok.

The Town Hall meeting for American citizens only will be held on

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 2:00 p.m. at the S31 Hotel, 545 Sukhumvit 31,

Bangkok, in the large ballroom. The S31 Hotel can be reached at

66-2-260-1111, or at www.s31hotel.com.

Bring your passport or other form of U.S. citizenship! You must present

proof of U.S. citizenship at the door in order to be allowed in to the

Town Hall meeting. You will not be admitted without proof of U.S.

citizenship.

Acceptable forms of U.S. citizenship are:

--U.S. passport,

--U.S. birth certificate plus photo identification,

--Consular Report of Birth Abroad plus photo identification, or

--Naturalization Certificate.

This opportunity is intended for American citizens and is an

off-the-record meeting intended to inform American citizens about the

latest developments in Bangkok.

The American Citizen Services Unit of the U.S. Embassy can be reached by

phone at 66-2-205-4049 and by e-mail at [email protected].

Surely this is a joke: holding an (illegal?) meeting during a State of Emergency when many countries have issued travel warnings against unnecessary travel. I am not American but if any of you guys want to attend then it's OK by me.

I don't think Americans need your permission to Attend. This is an official meeting called by Ambassador Eric john who is an official of the United States. The under secretary of state of The United States of America is in Bangkok, and this meeting could be of significant value to American citizens.

Barry

Edited by barryofthailand

Didn't the Embassy advise per their web site that all American's avoid any travel to Bangkok?

I have an appoinment the very next day and haven't heard anything more than that...

I was kinda waiting for the cancellation e-mail from 'em. ( which I won't hold my breath for)

Perhaps they're going to organize the last-day evacuation of Americans, Saigon-style?

saigon.jpg

Well they have already announced plans to evacuate non-essential staff and families.

Interesting that a lot of the Thailand experts that the US rely on for advice are really rather downbeat about the short term prospects for peace.

Yeah - I'm sure I will gain valuable insights from the meeting. I'll be sure to get there early....yawn.

Yeah............................The last one provided a lot of comedy relief, patronizing and naivety but not much in the way of useful substance.. It is also not lost that they keep calling these meetings in a location downtown as IF it is assumed that every American knows where they could possibly be and now this time they've posted it's location publicly instead of through an email so as to make us all potential targets in a nice grouping (advanced terrorism avoidance 101) and besides the difficulty in getting there with possible road blocks and check points to run into it's quite easy to end up in a part of the city you'd rather not be in at this moment, after all bullets don't respect fences and razor wire..

They are advertising this on the net on a website assuming everyone gets it through that media and yet they don't attempt to set up a net meeting for those who can't attend or don't want to take the chance on going out, U.S. planning at it's best.. :) kind of like the hot water served in the cooler that didn't work last time.... I feel so special and appreciated :D ....

Edited by WarpSpeed

Perhaps they're going to organize the last-day evacuation of Americans, Saigon-style?

saigon.jpg

Well as per last meeting it was every man, woman and child for themselves and they assured us it would never get to this point.. They were questioned on such prospects and suggested indirectly that "we think too much"..

I for one would like to hear what they have to say. Listen to what they have to say an make my own decisions. I live too far away to attend. I hope some one form here will go and give us the highlights after.

saigon.jpg

My memory is a little foggy on details, but didn't Abhisit think this was a pretty good way to depart from Pattaya during the ASEAN meeting?

(BTW - It was a last minute deal, but the method of exit was reasonably successful in Saigon. As long as it works, why knock it?)

Edited by Totsagan

Never ceases to amaze me how a legitimate post involving the US seems to bring out all the ThaiVisa cheap shot artists. How many who have posted responses actually hold US passports? So why should the OP concern you? Pretty pathetic.

Never ceases to amaze me how a legitimate post involving the US seems to bring out all the ThaiVisa cheap shot artists. How many who have posted responses actually hold US passports? So why should the OP concern you? Pretty pathetic.

probably in response to all the pathetic drum beating from the sceptics and their false sense of importance, and I guess also in response to the sad comments that the same sceptics choose to write in any thread involving 'brits'.

Get over yourself, the world does not involve around you as much as you like to think it does. :)

it pains me to say it, but! at least the americans are trying to be helpful in some kind of way and are prepared to discuss the problems that their citizens may be facing, in light of recent events.

which is more than can be said for the &lt;deleted&gt; of an ambassador "qintin quale" at the british embassy.

probably sitting around having tea and scones and playing scrabble with all his arse licking cronies!

remember who pays your wages, sunny jim :)

Edited by tigerfish

probably in response to all the pathetic drum beating from the sceptics and their false sense of importance, and I guess also in response to the sad comments that the same sceptics choose to write in any thread involving 'brits'.

Get over yourself, the world does not involve around you as much as you like to think it does.

As I said, pretty pathetic, not to mention irrelevant.

Get over yourself, the world does not involve around you as much as you like to think it does. :)

Post of the week by TW. :D

saigon.jpg

Well as per last meeting it was every man, woman and child for themselves and they assured us it would never get to this point.. They were questioned on such prospects and suggested indirectly that "we think too much"..

Back on 30 Apr 1975, I was a young GI and in Saigon for the evacuation. The last bird flew out from the embassy on that date ( the picture above was from the top of an apartment and is an Air America acft) and I can tell you from first hand knowledge that YES, you are on your own. Unless you are embassy assigned personnel and on a list, you are not going to get on any US military aircraft and told to find your own way out.

Nothing new.

saigon.jpg

Back on 30 Apr 1975, I was a young GI and in Saigon for the evacuation. The last bird flew out from the embassy on that date ( the picture above was from the top of an apartment and is an Air America acft) and I can tell you from first hand knowledge that YES, you are on your own. Unless you are embassy assigned personnel and on a list, you are not going to get on any US military aircraft and told to find your own way out.

Nothing new.

No worries, I already have my own exit strategy worked out...

3076-757614.jpg

the US Embassy has advised that the meeting venue has been changed

It will now be a virtual meeting. Please see details in new thread here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/American-Emb...ng-t366210.html

this one is now closed.

cheers

PS. there were suggestions on this thread that the Embassy should consider virtual meeting for safety and to include wider audience outside of Bangkok. I suppose someone is listening to the voice of their clients? :)