Lcd Or Plasma Recommendations

schmutzie

Looking to buy an TV. My preferences are:

Plasma

+40"

20000 - 25000 THB

USB

Ethernet or WiFi (that's pushing it, but would be nice)

Most review sites put Panasonic at the top, with Phillips and Samsung grabbing top slots for LCD/LED.

However, Samsung and Phillips sets are out of my budget.

I'm worried about artifacts and black levels on cheap LCDs (have stayed in too many hotels with cheapo

Samsung displays)

LG produces well-specced budget sets that seem to meet the above criteria. As most of my viewing will

be low quality signal Thai TV and DVD playback, I think they'll do. Can purchase at 18-20000.

I'd want a Panasonic but realised that their lower priced sets come with SD card slots and not USB.

Nobody seems to rate Sony very much these days. Odd.

Have looked at SRC-HomeLCD and they appear to have ongoing deals on many sets that match super sales at

established stores like PowerBuy/PowerMall or The Power.

Very good value to be had in the 32" ranges, but I think we'll want to go big (bragging rights for my girlfriend).

I have

1x 42” LG 7 yrs old

1x 42” Panasonic Plasma 3 years old

1x 32” Panasonic. 7 years old

1x 32” Philips, 6 months old this was to replace the LG, as the LG picture is so bad… Big mistake should have paid the extra 6,000 baht for another Panasonic

There is no comparison the Panasonic is way ahead, picture is crystal clear and sharp even on the old one which is far better picture than the new Philips.... The Plasma is the best picture over the LCD ones

I have

1x 42” LG 7 yrs old

1x 32” Philips, 6 months old this was to replace the LG, as the LG picture is so bad… Big mistake should have paid the extra 6,000 baht for another Panasonic

There is no comparison the Panasonic is way ahead, picture is crystal clear and sharp even on the old one which is far better picture than the new Philips.... The Plasma is the best picture over the LCD ones

Thanks. That's a ringing endorsement of Panasonic then. But the fact they have no USB is odd to me.

I'm trying to find the G-range here in Thailand to get some idea of pricing but can't ATM.

And they're out of my budget range...

I have

1x 42” LG 7 yrs old

Thanks. That's a ringing endorsement of Panasonic then. But the fact they have no USB is odd to me.

I'm trying to find the G-range here in Thailand to get some idea of pricing but can't ATM.

Not 100% sure why you need a USB on the TV ? I have a cable from my PC to TV so can [just never use] view everything on the TV, only thing I do is plug in my cam and view some of the pictures on the 42"

I have

1x 42" LG 7 yrs old

1x 42" Panasonic Plasma 3 years old

1x 32" Panasonic. 7 years old

1x 32" Philips, 6 months old this was to replace the LG, as the LG picture is so bad… Big mistake should have paid the extra 6,000 baht for another Panasonic

Interesting. I was looking at three current LG sets in some electronic store today - plasma. lcs and led. I could barely see the difference in quality. The LED seemed a little brighter(Avatar was playing). The salesman tooted LED as the best.

I hear plasma is best for dark colors.

I have

1x 42" LG 7 yrs old

1x 32" Philips, 6 months old this was to replace the LG, as the LG picture is so bad… Big mistake should have paid the extra 6,000 baht for another Panasonic

Interesting. I was looking at three current LG sets in some electronic store today - plasma. lcs and led. I could barely see the difference in quality. The LED seemed a little brighter(Avatar was playing). The salesman tooted LED as the best.

If your buying get the salesman to plug in the Ariel or sat dish if they have, many look a lot different then a DVD playing...

Had the salesman connect at least 20 TV's before going with the Panasonic Plasma, at the time it was a toss up between that and the Pioneer, the Panasonic was just that bit sharper ......... Just wish I had done the same 6 months ago or had just paid the extra and had the same model Panasonic Plasma, just a bit to big for a bedroom.

EDIT: The new Philips is clear and sharp playing DVD's just the TV picture is nothing like the Panasonic

Edited by ignis

Try to see the different screens alongside each other in a store, all showing the same programme.

Then you will see the differences.

You don't have to buy there, unless the price is right, just decide which model you want.

Samsung do seem to be badly setup, out of the box.

Heaven knows why, poor quality control I suppose

but a bit of careful tweaking of the settings can pull up a gorgeous picture

I have

1x 42” LG 7 yrs old

Not 100% sure why you need a USB on the TV ? I have a cable from my PC to TV so can [just never use] view everything on the TV, only thing I do is plug in my cam and view some of the pictures on the 42"

Not sure I would either. I thought there's were various "media drives" now on the market that allows you to browse and load up movies you have on disk. Something like a poor man's Apple TV.

Some sets allow you to record to a connected USB drive (but can only replay on the TV set).

It was all about going for options over the best picture - as I stated my inputs won't be stretching the spec of a 720p set.

But am very sensitive to bad contrast (contrast without range) or low blacks.

I also dislike some of the "pumping" manufacturers seem to do to "calibrate" the picture (ie. everything just looks very saturated and/or overly contrasty).

Quite happy to hear about specific sets and their pros and cons.

Try to see the different screens alongside each other in a store, all showing the same programme.

Then you will see the differences.

You don't have to buy there, unless the price is right, just decide which model you want.

Samsung do seem to be badly setup, out of the box.

Heaven knows why, poor quality control I suppose

but a bit of careful tweaking of the settings can pull up a gorgeous picture

Yeah, but in Carrefour they're showing the VHS-transferred DVD of their 2006 corporate promotional video (I'm making this up, it just looks video-crappy) on many of the sets - go figure!

What model was the Samsung and what did you pay, dare I ask?

I have

1x 42" LG 7 yrs old

Salesman only knows that the latest and greatest needs to be pushed me thinks.

I have read the same - that the playing field between these tech's have levelled. I still think cheap panels will look cheap though. I'm looking for that diamond in the gutter.

Panasonic has a good rep and frequently sits at the top of reviews. I've never heard anyone complain about them. LG has a bad rep but seems to beat everyone on price.

Edited by schmutzie

I bought a Samsung 42" plasma 1.5 years ago and it has failed. Very disappointing TBH, we got a call from the service center and they said the cost to repair is 13000 Baht. Samsung is off my list of future purchases.

I bought a Samsung 42" plasma 1.5 years ago and it has failed. Very disappointing TBH, we got a call from the service center and they said the cost to repair is 13000 Baht. Samsung is off my list of future purchases.

Do you have any idea of exactly what has failed?

Not too much mention of Sony here - Any views on Sony LCD's / Plasmas ?

Thanks

Sony is great and the picture quality is excellent, but be prepared to pay a premium. The customer service is also absolute garbage, it took them 5 months to get my HDMI socket fixed. But my TV set may just be an isolated case. The bottom is line is, avoid cheap plasma options as they tend to be far worse than the LCD's in the same range over the long run and extensive usage. If you want to enjoy the good quality of plasma, i would STRONGLY suggest you purchase one that is slightly more expensive and in the medium-top range.

Not too much mention of Sony here - Any views on Sony LCD's / Plasmas ?

Thanks

Sony is great and the picture quality is excellent, but be prepared to pay a premium. The customer service is also absolute garbage, it took them 5 months to get my HDMI socket fixed. But my TV set may just be an isolated case. The bottom is line is, avoid cheap plasma options as they tend to be far worse than the LCD's in the same range over the long run and extensive usage. If you want to enjoy the good quality of plasma, i would STRONGLY suggest you purchase one that is slightly more expensive and in the medium-top range.

My 4 yr old Panasonic Plasma model is still in shop today the only difference is it is less then 1/2 the price, so you can buy a 'cheap' good quality Plasma, buying an older model

No sorry I don't my wife didn't ask. The problem with it is that after a while the screen goes black even though the sound is fine. We decided not to have it repaired as it doesn't happen too often. When it does happen I simply turn off the set and turn it back on and it is fine again. The price of the flat screens keeps dropping so I don't think its worth repairing.

Do yourself a favour and buy a full HD 1080p set so it is future proof (1920 x 1080 resolution). Choosing between plasma, LCD and LED is difficult because they all offer different pros and cons.

Truevisions HD satellite is here now and will be adding more channels and they are broadcasting in 1080i.

What Hi-Fi gave the Samsung LCD 40" 530 a five star rating and their budget TV award. It is on sale at SRC for around 20,000thb.

No sorry I don't my wife didn't ask. The problem with it is that after a while the screen goes black even though the sound is fine. We decided not to have it repaired as it doesn't happen too often. When it does happen I simply turn off the set and turn it back on and it is fine again. The price of the flat screens keeps dropping so I don't think its worth repairing.

Update: We received the TV back from Samsung and it doesn't work now. Should have known that would happen, the repair depot said it was like that when they received it. Yeah right even the dealer thinks that they took it apart to check it and when we said not to fix it they didn't put it back correctly. He gave us the number to some manager which was a waste of time. Oh well I will not purchase Samsung anymore, no point arguing with people who don't give a dam_n.

HomePro has a 50" LG plasma for 26,394 THB right now. I hate shopping, so I just walked inside and asked, "What is the largest TV with the best deal you have right now?" That 50" was the reply. You can take immediate delivery but I have to wait a month+ anyway due to renovations, so I can't report on the quality just yet. The width of the monitor is 107cms! HDMI/USB etc (I've never used these functions, anyway - on any TV that I've had).

HomePro has a 50" LG plasma for 26,394 THB right now. I hate shopping, so I just walked inside and asked, "What is the largest TV with the best deal you have right now?" That 50" was the reply. You can take immediate delivery but I have to wait a month+ anyway due to renovations, so I can't report on the quality just yet. The width of the monitor is 107cms! HDMI/USB etc (I've never used these functions, anyway - on any TV that I've had).

Probably not the best market research :) but if your not that fussy about quality and specs it's a good price.

Edited by negreanu

The specs on that LG TV he is referring to is pretty poor. The image quality is noisy and it only supports up to 720p rather than the current standard of 1080p. If you want to buy a TV don't waste your time on that one, there are better options for smaller but Far better sets out there.

I went to the PowerBuy Expo at Queen Sirikit. There weren't any mindblowing deals going.

I saw the TV I want though - Panasonic P42V20. But it's 50K, so not gonna happen. I can't justify it.

After briefly toying with the idea of dropping down to 32inch and getting something top-of-the-line there I'm

now tempted to come 360 and look at the cheapo LGs with a view to simply drop it in a years time.

Design wise I think the Samsung LEDs look stunning and something about the Philips build quality also appeals.

But ultimately I'll get satisfaction knowing and seeing that I got the best panel for my money.

But it seems there are always trade offs no matter what route you take.

Does any know the ACTUAL cost diff between a plasma and an LCD in terms of power consumption?

The specs on that LG TV he is referring to is pretty poor. The image quality is noisy and it only supports up to 720p rather than the current standard of 1080p. If you want to buy a TV don't waste your time on that one, there are better options for smaller but Far better sets out there.

Which ones?

Does any know the ACTUAL cost diff between a plasma and an LCD in terms of power consumption?

From what I saw a year ago, Plasma uses 50% more power than LCD, size for size.

It was a matter of concern for me as I run my setup off of a UPS.

If you run a TV from a UPS to protect against power surge rather than to provide a 'lights out' backup, does the power draw matter ?

Update: We received the TV back from Samsung and it doesn't work now. Should have known that would happen, the repair depot said it was like that when they received it. Yeah right even the dealer thinks that they took it apart to check it and when we said not to fix it they didn't put it back correctly. He gave us the number to some manager which was a waste of time. Oh well I will not purchase Samsung anymore, no point arguing with people who don't give a dam_n.

Seems ro happen a lot according to AVForums (albeit WRT Pana black level issues and repairs).

I'm sure you can have the panel replaced somehow.

If you run a TV from a UPS to protect against power surge rather than to provide a 'lights out' backup, does the power draw matter ?

It depends in the UPS rating

My UPS is rated at 500W

Satellite reciever 80W

Amplifier 180W

LCD TV 170W

OK

Add a Plasma TV at 320W and I would have problems, blown fuses etc

Also the more power drawn, the larger the battery needed to maintain power for a give time, say 3 hours.

Just want to share that Carrefour have started their World Cup TV promos and there's a fantastic deal going on the Samsung LCD 40" B750 at 32K (that down from 58K). This is a full HD Series 7 set. It gets a mixed review from AVForums but I think it's such a bargain that you can probably live with their (very picky) concerns.

The Power at HomePro also seems to have a significant discount on one of the top Philips LEDs - can't remember the exact model but the discount was something like 35k on the RRP (still leaves a hefty price of 60K though).

I'm in love with the P42V20 from Pana. But once you hit the 50K expense range the choice suddenly becomes mind boggling.

The LGs are said to be poor out of the box, but from what I can tell you're able to calibrate them quite a lot. And LG is apparently equipped with one of the better GUIs on the market to do that job (ie., they make everything very accessible).

On a further note, I've come to realise that certain TV sets are often sold under the same name but with a slight or sometimes significant different feature set in Asia.

The Pana V20 is a case in point: No THX setup (although does have something called "True Cinema" which may or may not be the same) plus the panels are supposed to be IPS and not IPS Pro.

I can confirm the first thing but not sure about the second. Odd, cus they are made here!

Also, the Sony EX600 is advertised with DLNA and Internet TV on the Aussie Sony site, but does not have or is not advertised to have this in Thailand.

Basically double check your "feature expectations" with the shop before committing.