Transferring A Visa

Hi everyone,

Quick questions... I just got my new brit passport and have ended my last one on a simple one-month tourist visa for least paperwork & time & questions etc etc etc.

So, question one...

What docs / photocopies do I need at immigration to transfer the visa. Is it still desk 6? Last time I was there I felt I saw this long long list of photocopies, but can't remember what.

Q2...

I dunno if this is possible but... I need to reknew this visa on 23rd June and I plan a jacks golf run, just for ease. Is it possible to NOT transfer the visa and get JG to stamp me out of Thailand on the old passport, into cambodia and again into thailand on the NEW passport?

I have no idea how legal that is (not at all I guess) but I doubt that's ever stopped anyone trying :o

Thanks all

Neph.

The last itme I checked, the rooms on the fourth floor have been closed, and you need to use the main cattle hall on the 1st floor. You need several items to have the visa transferred:

• new passport

• copy of new passport data page

• old passport

• copy of old passport data page

• copy of old passport visa

• copy of old passport showing last visa entrance stamp

• copy of old passport departure card

• original letter from embassy indicating that the new passport is a replacement for the old

If you have all of the documentation in order, the visa transfer will take about 30 minutes.

Ah great thanks for that.. but one thing - that last one, the letter - for real?

I mean, I don't have a letter - the embassy just sent my new and old passports back to me, ems, no documentation at all. The old passpo has ben cut, at the corner, so it cannot be used

Should I ask the embassy for a letter?

thanks

neph

Below is from current immigration web site:

Transfer of visa to new passport in case of expired or full passport

Relevant laws and regulations

1979 immigration act

Required documents

Expired or full passport

New passport

Request by Embassy to the Immigration Bureau to transfer the visa to the new passport

Procedure

In case of foreigner without application for extension of stay residence in the Kingdom:

Contact sub-section 4, command 4, administrative command, Immigration Bureau to write the request and fill in the relevant information, including name, surname, passport number, date of arrival, and flight number.

Check the details and the correctness of the information and the completeness of the new passport or other travel document.

Check the evidence of arrival in the Kingdom by computer or with the arrival card (TM. 6) to make sure the applicant has entered the Kingdom legally.

If there is evidence of legal entry to the Kingdom, the visa will be transferred to the new passport.

In case of foreigner with application for extension of stay or residence in the Kingdom:

Contact the respective sections according to the visa type or sub-section 1, immigration division 1, Immigration Bureau, according to circumstances, in order to write the request to transfer the visa to a new passport. Proceed according to step 3.1.2 above.

Note 

The following information must be provided: Passport or travel document number, place and date of issue, visa type, port and mode of arrival, date of arrival (first date of arrival) and admission period, reason for changing passport or travel document and transferring visa stamp.

In case of foreigner with application for residence in the Kingdom, the date of application for residence as well as the consideration period must be given. If during the consideration period a re-entry permit was issued and the applicant has left and re-entered the country, evidence of the most recent arrival must be given. 

Ah. Bugger.

Anyone know who to ask at the embassy for such a letter?

You'd think they'd give me one with my new passport. They even asked if my old one had a valid visa in it.

Neph.

The US automatically gives you one and Thailand is willing to do the transfer but it seems your Embassy does not provide. Probably you can present your old passport along with the new passport when you exit the country (many countries accept this method) but it does make it easier to misplace something.

The US will not transfer a visa however so you could be stuck with using two passports for up to 10 years on a foreign passport and a US visa. :o

Hold on people....

Am I missing something here, I see this chap on a 30 day stamp (not a visa). He doesn't need to transfer anything just present both passports when he exits Thailand and when he enters Cambodia (Cambodia visa and entry stamp go in the new PP). Re-enter Thailand with the new PP only and get a fresh 30 day stamp.

QED.

Like I said, I may be missing something :o

Edited by Crossy

Agree with Crossy. This happened to me years ago in Songai Kolok. Arrived at Thai imm with my old, invalidated passport which contained the still valid 30 day entry stamp. It caused a bit of a stir when I handed the old pp in. "This pp is no good". "Yes, but I have a new one. the old one contains my entry stamp".

So, stamped out on the OLD passport. Thought this was strange, but then he's imm and must know what he's doing.

It was like a farce when I handed over my new, virgin pp to Malaysian authorities. "Where have you come from?". Felt like saying the moon, but didn't and was eventually sent back over the bridge to get the Thai exit stamp in the new pp.

It all worked out. don't see that the OP has any problem.

All,

thought i'd bring this one to a close (more or less). I am on a 30 day tourist visa, but immigration still want a letter to transfer that simple stamp to my new passport.

i have heard tales of people taking both passports to the border and having no trouble - i have also heard of people having trouble, so i figured it's no big deal and my old passport has clearly been cut by the embassy, I'll just transfer at immigration. I have the time, etc.

Anyway, I called the UK embassy this morning at 8:30 and when I got there at 8:45 they'd done the letter for me, no problems at all. So now it's off to immigration. Simple.

I suppose if I have only one complaint / dumb question - it's why didnt the uk embassy give me this letter with my new passport? Afterall it makes sense that I'm going to need it :o

Anyway, all sorted - thanks for all the help

cheers

Neph.

All,

thought i'd bring this one to a close (more or less). I am on a 30 day tourist visa, but immigration still want a letter to transfer that simple stamp to my new passport.

i have heard tales of people taking both passports to the border and having no trouble - i have also heard of people having trouble, so i figured it's no big deal and my old passport has clearly been cut by the embassy, I'll just transfer at immigration. I have the time, etc.

Anyway, I called the UK embassy this morning at 8:30 and when I got there at 8:45 they'd done the letter for me, no problems at all. So now it's off to immigration. Simple.

I suppose if I have only one complaint / dumb question - it's why didnt the uk embassy give me this letter with my new passport? Afterall it makes sense that I'm going to need it

Anyway, all sorted - thanks for all the help

cheers

Neph.

All I needed last month for transferring to my new passport was the old one and the new one and the reciept, which I forgot the first time. That was no bother, they stamped my old cut one.

I didn't need a letter. This was at Nong Kai. British Passport.

((cut))

All I needed last month for transferring to my new passport was the old one and the new one and the reciept, which I forgot the first time. That was no bother, they stamped my old cut one.

They stamped your old one? I thought the idea was to get it put into the new one. Or did I manage to misread something again? :o

Edited by lopburi3

Neeranam: well, if they dont want the letter, no big deal. If they do, then phew, I got it already. I would rather spend 15 minutes at the embassy and 30 minutes at immigration than find out the staff at the Cambodia border are having a bad day and being a pain.

lopburi3: yeah i think you missed something. must be those 1000's of post, making you go blind :o

Cheers!

Neph.

Neeranam: well, if they dont want the letter, no big deal. If they do, then phew, I got it already. I would rather spend 15 minutes at the embassy and 30 minutes at immigration than find out the staff at the Cambodia border are having a bad day and being a pain.

lopburi3: yeah i think you missed something. must be those 1000's of post, making you go blind  :o

Cheers!

Neph.

I am still not sure. Did you transfer your visa to your new passport as this thread is asking or did you make a visa run with two passports? You say transfer but if that is the case the stamp should be in your new passport. And I really am pretty sure of that in spite of eyestrain. :D

((cut))

They stamped your old one? I thought the idea was to get it put into the new one. Or did I manage to misread something again?

six weeks ago I got a new passport and took it to Nong Kai to get my "o" visa(marriage) one extended. I forgot the receipt so the guy said he couldn't put the visa in th enew passport. Luckily I had a little room in my old one. If my wife hadn't been there I am sure he would have made me go all the way back to Khon KAen. I had to back one month later and took the receipt and got my extebded visa until next year put in my new passport.

Sorry for anything misleading.

Yeah, I guess, up to you.

I am just sharing my experience from 2 weeks ago. I didn't need a letter.

Also , I did the same about 9 years ago and didn't need a letter.

My UK passport needs renewing next year. Does anyone know how early I can get this done? I'll be in bkk soon so I could go to the embassy in Wireless Road, but I doubt they'll let me renew with 11 months still to go on the old one. Any thoughts?

My UK passport needs renewing next year. Does anyone know how early I can get this done? I'll be in bkk soon so I could go to the embassy in Wireless Road, but I doubt they'll let me renew with 11 months still to go on the old one. Any thoughts?

I would think you could as you require more than a year validity remaining to get a one year extension of stay.

I would think you could as you require more than a year validity remaining to get a one year extension of stay.

That was my exact worry - when I went for my renewal last time, my passport expiry date was one year and 9 days after the extension renewal date, so I just about got the full one year extension.

I believe that if it was the other way around - that is, the passport expiry date being less than one year - they would give you an extension date up to the expiry date of the passport. And then when you get the new passport, they would stamp your new passport with the correct extension date - i.e. one year from the previous stamp - so that you don't lose out. I can't remember where I read all that - maybe here, maybe Phuket Gazette.

//Edit - found it. Phuket Gazette:

“It would be best if you renewed your passport before the extension to stay expires.

Thai Immigration will not issue any permits to people with passports that will expire within six months. If your passport is valid for more than six months but less than a year, Immigration will issue permits valid only to the date that the passport expires.

For example, say your passport will expire on December 31 this year. If you apply for another one-year extension to stay to continue from May 19 this year, and your application is approved, you will be issued an extension to stay valid only until December 31.

After you have been issued with a new passport, bring to the Phuket Provincial Immigration Office (PPIO) both your old passport, with the current extension to stay and the multiple re-entry permit, and your new passport, and we will transfer both permits into your new passport – free of charge.

Wednesday, April 7, 2004    Pol Capt Krissarat Nuesen, PPIO. ”

Edited by RDN

RDN: I had 10 ten years left on my passport, but it was full.

Lopburi3: I am about to transfer the stamp. I haven't done so yet and I will be making a visarun with the new passport, not the old. It might be confusing because my first post was before I had decided which one to do and so asked both questions :o

Cheers!

Neph.

RDN,

I got a new pp at British Embassy some 7 years ago. The old one had plenty of pages and about 9 months validity. They just took the photocopies necessary, the money and told me that I had plenty of time before the 6 month validity rule applied. I called them 10 days later, the new pp was there and I went up to get it. They would have posted it, but didn't recommend this option.

2 years ago, was back in the UK. Still 5 years validity on pp, but I decided to apply for a new one as I would have run out of pages within a year or so after returning to Thailand. Again, no problem.

As long as you pay the fee, the British authorities aren't going to bat an eyelid, in my experience.

have ended my last one on a simple one-month tourist visa for least paperwork & time & questions etc etc etc.
I dunno if this is possible but... I need to reknew this visa on 23rd June and I plan a jacks golf run, just for ease.

For least paperwork and ease, get yourself a non-imm visa for 1 year. :o

RDN,

I got a new pp at British Embassy some 7 years ago. The old one had plenty of pages and about 9 months validity. They just took the photocopies necessary, the money and told me that I had plenty of time before the 6 month validity rule applied. I called them 10 days later, the new pp was there and I went up to get it. They would have posted it, but didn't recommend this option....

RDN,Sorry, missed page two of this thread before posting and hence your visa situation. Still think my observations re timing of application are pertinent. I hope so.

Absolutely! - thanks very much for the information. I'll be back in bkk soon (for the next TV meet-up :o ), so I'll go to the embassy then. Cheers!

I thought I'd just finish this up with my experiences over the last two days.

Firstly I went to Jacks Golf to ask if I could go to Poipet with just my old and new passports and have them stamp me out in the old etc etc. They called the border while I was there and the answer was a resolute no, they were not allowed to do that (anymore).

So I trundled over to Immigration and, out of curiosity, asked them the same and they also said no, definetly not.

So I transfered my visa. Very simple process so long as you have the right photocopies / docs, which as said are:

• new passport

• old passport

• original letter from embassy indicating that the new passport is a replacement for the old

I also took the recipt for my new passport, but they didnt want that.

All i nall took 5 minutes, there and then and next day I went off to Poipet as usual and everythings fine.

Thanks for all the advice.

Neph.

PS I was thinking, looking at this board, I'd be so screwed without all the advice over the last couple of years!

• 1 year later...
I thought I'd just finish this up with my experiences over the last two days.

Firstly I went to Jacks Golf to ask if I could go to Poipet with just my old and new passports and have them stamp me out in the old etc etc. They called the border while I was there and the answer was a resolute no, they were not allowed to do that (anymore).

So I trundled over to Immigration and, out of curiosity, asked them the same and they also said no, definetly not.

So I transfered my visa. Very simple process so long as you have the right photocopies / docs, which as said are:

• new passport

• old passport

I also took the recipt for my new passport, but they didnt want that.

All i nall took 5 minutes, there and then and next day I went off to Poipet as usual and everythings fine.

Thanks for all the advice.

Neph.

PS I was thinking, looking at this board, I'd be so screwed without all the advice over the last couple of years!

Can Anyone Answer These Three Questions: Regarding Visa Transfer......

1. If I show up at the airport without a visa transferred to my new passport can I leave (Thailand)?

2. Can I transfer a visa to a new passport at Pattaya immigration in Jomtien?

3. Why doesn't the British Embassy issue a letter with new passports requesting a visa transfer, and how easily can I obtain a letter (from them) after receiving a new passport?

Thanks for any help with this.

Regarding Visa Transfer......

1. If I show up at the airport without a visa transferred to my new passport can I leave (Thailand)?

Leaving without first transferring the visa to your new passport is no problem, but if it is a multiple-entry non-immigrant visa, a tourist visa valid for more than one entry or a multiple-entry re-entry permit and you need to use it again for a future entry then you must get it transferred to your new passport before you leave Thailand.

--

Maestro

Regarding Visa Transfer......

Leaving without first transferring the visa to your new passport is no problem, but if it is a multiple-entry non-immigrant visa, a tourist visa valid for more than one entry or a multiple-entry re-entry permit and you need to use it again for a future entry then you must get it transferred to your new passport before you leave Thailand.

--

Maestro

Thanks for that 'maestro'; I leave the LOS next month to U.K. just for ten days, but my non-O is valid until June 2007. So in theory it could be good until mid September with a visa run after March 2006 return to LOS.

Maybe worth the effort to go to BKK for transfer, especially in current climate of visa regulations; but I am also considering another non-O (in new passport) from U.K. consulate in March that would see me good for 12 months, that is as good as June 2008 (if you see what I mean.)

Decisions.