Holiday 10 Best

Davey

Today I watching BBC's Holiday top 10: culture stops. Everything was expected and some really cultural and interesting places were shown... Then, at number FOUR, yes 4! came Newcastle!! :o - I don't know if any of you know Newcastle well, but to be in the top 10 cultural destinations worldwide is plain ridiculous. Newcastle beat the likes of Cambodia which is host to the largest religious monestry in the world! Newcaslte also beat Rajathan, India and more...

Residing in Newcastle I'm absolutely astonished this city is considered to be such a cultural hot spot, and frankly I cannot understand it. Here is the full list:

10 - Berlin, Germany

9 - Rajasthan, India

8 - Cambodia

7 - Lanzarote - Also questionable

6 - Spanish Paradores

5 - Valencia, Spain

4 - Newcastle - They must have it wrong

3 - St. Petersburg, Russia

2 - New England, USA

1 - Guatemala

I think they must have just included Newcastle for a laugh, to actually see if the viewers were actually paying any attention.

As for culture in Newcastle; our favourite restuarant is the chippy, the majority can barely speak English never mind any second language and our vision of art is shearer nodding in the winner against the mackems, cultural? not likely.. I'm surprised Sunderland never made the list! that would have just topped it all off. :D

I was also expecting some other places to on the list, which did not appear.

OK:

1 - Guatemala

2 - New England, USA

5 - Valencia, Spain

6 - Spanish Paradores

8 - Cambodia

9 - Rajasthan, India

10 - Berlin, Germany

11 - Thailand

12 - Thailand

13 - Thailand

14 - Thailand

15 - Thailand

:o

• 1 month later...
Today I watching BBC's Holiday top 10: culture stops.  ...........  Here is the full list:

10 - Berlin, Germany

9 - Rajasthan, India

8 - Cambodia

6 - Spanish Paradores

5 - Valencia, Spain

4 - Newcastle - They must have it wrong :D

2 - New England, USA

1 - Guatemala

YES!!!!!!!!!!

Although I love LOS... I live in the moment... and the moment is NOW!

A happy tv.commer!

( :oPS: Over here the country`s tourist office went wild when the bbc poll came out a week or two ago. El Salvador and Honduras, Our southern neighbour equivalents to Cambodia and Laos for LOS, went mad, and between them spent an extra 150,000 dollars on tourist publicity.

+

The bbc show actually specified only Tikal, the old Maya ruins in the jungles on the west side of the country (incidentally where the moon of endor (ewoks) was filmed in the return of the jedi.)

I´m glad though, cos I don´t want my town getting over run just yet.

Kayo. )

Well I don't think Lanzarote is questionable.... The island is a tribute to the work of Cesar Manrique, a brilliant artist. Check here

Cesar Manrique was a great artist who knew how to combine conservation of the natural world with the resources that the modern world offers. Thanks to his sensitivity, authenticity, imagination and force of character, he has created works that will remain with us even though we no longer have his presence.

Because of him the island of Lanzarote is free of high rise developments blotting the beautiful landscape :o and dotted around the island are examples of is work as both an artist and a sculptor.

Today I watching BBC's Holiday top 10: culture stops.  Everything was expected and some really cultural and interesting places were shown...  Then, at number FOUR, yes 4! came Newcastle!!  :o - I don't know if any of you know Newcastle well, but to be in the top 10 cultural destinations worldwide is plain ridiculous.  Newcastle beat the likes of Cambodia which is host to the largest religious monestry in the world! Newcaslte also beat Rajathan, India and more...

Residing in Newcastle I'm absolutely astonished this city is considered to be such a cultural hot spot, and frankly I cannot understand it.  Here is the full list:

10 - Berlin, Germany

9 - Rajasthan, India

8 - Cambodia

6 - Spanish Paradores

5 - Valencia, Spain

2 - New England, USA

1 - Guatemala

I think they must have just included Newcastle for a laugh, to actually see if the viewers were actually paying any attention.

As for culture in Newcastle; our favourite restuarant is the chippy, the majority can barely speak English never mind any second language and our vision of art is shearer nodding in the winner against the mackems, cultural? not likely..  I'm surprised Sunderland never made the list! that would have just topped it all off.  :D

Several decades ago Brits used to spend their holidays at Butlin Holiday camps!

Judging by that list above their tastes haven't advanced very far since. :D

Today I watching BBC's Holiday top 10: culture stops.  Everything was expected and some really cultural and interesting places were shown...  Then, at number FOUR, yes 4! came Newcastle!!  :o - I don't know if any of you know Newcastle well, but to be in the top 10 cultural destinations worldwide is plain ridiculous.  Newcastle beat the likes of Cambodia which is host to the largest religious monestry in the world! Newcaslte also beat Rajathan, India and more...

Residing in Newcastle I'm absolutely astonished this city is considered to be such a cultural hot spot, and frankly I cannot understand it.  Here is the full list:

10 - Berlin, Germany

9 - Rajasthan, India

8 - Cambodia

6 - Spanish Paradores

5 - Valencia, Spain

2 - New England, USA

1 - Guatemala

As for culture in Newcastle; our favourite restuarant is the chippy, the majority can barely speak English never mind any second language and our vision of art is shearer nodding in the winner against the mackems, cultural? not likely..  I'm surprised Sunderland never made the list! that would have just topped it all off.   :D

Several decades ago Brits used to spend their holidays at Butlin Holiday camps!

Judging by that list above their tastes haven't advanced very far since. :D

Now they head for good 'ol 'Skeggie' (Skegness) :D

Newcastle!? Are they serious? The only culture I've found there was down some slappers knickers after a night on Bigg Market.

Its just someone trying to be clever and seem as though they have travelled all over the world yet Newcastle is sooooooo cultural. Probably made by some simpering, patronising Islington media <deleted>.

I am surprised Thailand never made the list. Probably 'too touristy' for them.

I'm beginning to think there's some sort of conspiracy here. First, Korat is left off the list of the best cities in which to live and now this insult.

When will it all stop?

I blame it all on Stickman.  :o

last year there was a big survey of top holiday spots for young brits

Thailand was second, however, post tsunami things have changed

Newcastle!? Are they serious? The only culture I've found there was down some slappers knickers after a night on Bigg Market.

:o:D nice one Professor.

My next door neighbour has a Newcastle United football shirt, and I saw some in Bangkok, so it is Thailand related.

Glasgow was European city of culture a few years back, has Newcastle ever been?

Lots of <deleted>.

I agreee Rajasthan is a must for cultural places, even Valencia. and St.Petersburg.

I could have spent years in Rajasthan. 2 months wasn't nearly enough to see everything.

Its just someone trying to be clever and seem as though they have travelled all over the world yet Newcastle is sooooooo cultural. Probably made by some simpering, patronising Islington media <deleted>.

I am surprised Thailand never made the list. Probably 'too touristy' for them.

That was why I posted here, although some said it was an off-topic my point, although not at all well illustrated was that I too was surprised Thailand never made the list.

Someone posted earlier about Newcastle, Austrailia... Nope it was definetly Newcastle upon-tyne, I have the dubious pleasure of living here. Also Newcastle is up for the European capital of culture 2010 and I wonder why