Thai Government Announces Additional Public Holidays On May 19-21

webfact

Government Announces Additional Public Holidays on May 19-21 (Bangkok ONLY)

The government has announced additional public holidays on May 19-21, the rest of this week.

The announcement has fueled speculation that the political standoff will not end today as earlier expected.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-05-18

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

addressing the visa issue would be a good thing for anyone that has info, please post!

If you plan to do your extension in Bangkok, you can not do it this week.

Immigration are usually pretty good about extensions / visas that expire during a holiday so long as you attend on the first day that they re-open (get there early, you will not be alone).

It would be useful if someone could define 'Bangkok' ie how far out does this enforced holiday extend?.

addressing the visa issue would be a good thing for anyone that has info, please post!

I am under the impression that you have to renew your visa before the day it runs out, on the day, or on the next business day if it occurs on a public holiday. But I am not sure how it will work if the public holiday is for Bangkok only.

Is this for all of Thailand or just for Bangkok please? I have a manufacturing company (UPVC windows) not in Bangkok and that is the reason for the question.

For BANGKOK only.

Thanks for clearing that one up and amending the OP. We just had our factory foreman call the office and tell us that staff were saying they should be on holiday now. Grrrrrrrrrr

Is this for all of Thailand or just for Bangkok please? I have a manufacturing company (UPVC windows) not in Bangkok and that is the reason for the question.

No worry we are in Bangkok (Thaveewattana) and produce as always....Well no one can concentrate on the work and we are slow but we work.

FedEx also works (direct to the Airport instead of their usual place). One seaport is (or was) blocked so I don't know for sea freight.

I don't know for customs. In the past we could customs clear on non office times by paying and official overtime fee, I don't know if that works now at the red holidays.

Agreed. If anyone knows if the immigration office on Chaeng Wattana will be open please let us know.

It should be as its out of Bangkok (or was it not now?).

The ministry of Pub Health which is in Nonthaburi bordering Bkk is officially open (it was yesterday).

Regarding the visa issues, they probably won't have a problem if you go to renew on the first day they open.

One could easily check with a regional office that is open today by phone.

(whether theyd be good for their word is arguable tho)

I have been trying to confirm whether the Immigration office for Chonburi In Jomtien is open or closed this week.

I have tried phoning many times but no reply so it may be other Immigration offices are closed not only in Bangkok .

Still hoping someone can confirm for me

How do I handle my one year visa renewal which runs out this week?

If immigration office is closed and your visa expiry falls on a 'holiday' then immigration does not penalise you by counting that day as a deadline....as far as I know and if memory serves me right, that's how it works...but it's worth double checking this...

I am under the impression that you have to renew your visa before the day it runs out, on the day, or on the next business day if it occurs on a public holiday. But I am not sure how it will work if the public holiday is for Bangkok only.

Try to call immigration - if no answer send them email or fax (bring a copy with you) asking about your renewal - I would say Thai Government is being embarrassed enough and will be tolerating short overstays / renewals... but do what you can to contact them.

I have a lot of post waiting to go out.

Anyone know if I can take it to the airport and post it there or is that post office closed as well?

Failing that any ideas of where the nearest out of town post off is?

I have been trying to confirm whether the Immigration office for Chonburi In Jomtien is open or closed this week.

I have tried phoning many times but no reply so it may be other Immigration offices are closed not only in Bangkok .

Still hoping someone can confirm for me

i confirm the office for chonburi in jomtien is open (and busy), i get my 30 days extension 45 minutes ago, just back home from the office (crowded more than usual)

anyway, this is the office phone number 038252751

Edited by janderton

Incompetency at its worst.

When they can’t deal with a problem they call for Public holiday. Who ends up getting hurt and pay for it is the employers, that have to pay extra to the employee, at the same time they are not making money.

This can only go so long and I guess the employer will either mover other places or close for good.

Incompetency at its worst.

When they can't deal with a problem they call for Public holiday. Who ends up getting hurt and pay for it is the employers, that have to pay extra to the employee, at the same time they are not making money.

This can only go so long and I guess the employer will either mover other places or close for good.

Yet closing huge, important junctions with tire barricades, makeshift bamboo camps and militia 'guards', wide scale damage to public property, shutting down of public transportation due to threats of terrorist attacks (and attacks themselves), murder of innocent people, looting of convenience stores and atms, tossing molotov cocktails and firing m79 grenades at gas station, bringing children to areas where this is happening, etc., this apparently is all acceptable and should be tolerated by the people in this city? This is somehow acceptable by Amnesty international? This was somehow omitted by Thaksin's new lawyer? Where is the money coming from? Why are the leaders so wealthy all of a sudden? Do any of these armed red shirt guards have a license to operate with firearms?

I have a friend that usually gets a letter from the US embassy stating his income for hi retirement extension. He needs to do this by next tuesday.

With the Embassy closed what is he to do? If he does not bring the paper from the embassy, no extension and he has to start the whole affair over.

Anyone have any contacts at the us embassy??

Edited by phuketrichard

There is no way a holiday cannot be called.

The streets are a disaster zone, BRT, MRT closed, many main roads closed. Sukhumvit and Rama IV, they were only the two most arteries roads in Bangkok.

Even if it wasn't a holiday how could Bangkokians go to work or school?

It will take days to remove the garbage, tires, and reapiwork, etc.

Thank you DAAD for screwing up Bangkok.

How do I handle my one year visa renewal which runs out this week?

If immigration office is closed and your visa expiry falls on a 'holiday' then immigration does not penalise you by counting that day as a deadline....as far as I know and if memory serves me right, that's how it works...but it's worth double checking this...

Your right on that but every day you wait the pound and euro is taking a beating and it cost you more if you live on a retirement.

I'm in bkk and would like to get a re entry permit as I'm leaving thursday. any ideas anyone? What are my options? thanks.

u can make it at Suwannabhumi Airport ; can check it here :

immigration bureau

thanks, i didn't know they had an office there. it doesn't mention what time it closes, will call to find out. thanks again.

It should be open 24/7 it's located at the centre set of passport control (by the Thai check in desks) BEFORE you go through immigration.