Looking For A Quiet Room To Record A Podcast

motoyen

Hi I'm looking to rent a quiet room to record a weekly podcast, preferably around the Asoke -> Ekamai area. It has to be fairly quiet (which I know is difficult here) because we are recording. Any suggestions?

Hi,

You absolutely don't need to rent a room to do this. With an appropriate microphone you could do it in your living room with the TV on at low volume!

Mics specifically for podcasts are available, such as the Rode Podcaster (you can google it for info) or you can use any close-proximity uni-directional microphone. Uni directional mics are used on stages and are sensitive to within only a few centimeters from the cone so they can function on stages where there is an immense amount of monitor sound and stage audio. An example of this would be a Sure SM57. Even an appropriate lapel microphone would work.

You can purchase USB microphones in Apple shops and music dealers, but you must be specific about your requirements with the sales person. Professional ribbon microphones which are used in recording studios etc are very sensitive and will pick up every squeak of unwanted noise and these really need to be used in a proper studio, so be sure to ask for something which is less sensitive and suitable for podcasts or stage work. If you cant find an appropriate USB mic, then as I said a stage mic like the SM57 would be fine, but you will then also need to buy a pre-amp or a mixer as this kind of professional mic has XLR connectors which will not plug directly into a PC. Also, don't forget to use a decent tripod or mic stand.