New Thai Consulate Opened In Langkawi, Malaysia

New Thai consulate opened in Langkawi, Malaysia

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's newly-opened consulate in the Malaysian resort island of Langkawi will serve Thai nationals working or visiting the island as tourists, according to a senior government official.

"A number of Thais work or travel to the Langkawi Island each year; so, the new Thai honourable consulate in Langkawi will serve them", the Governor of the southern Satun Province, Manit Watanasen, told TNA.

In the past, the Thai consulate in the Malaysian Penang State helped take care of Thai nationals in Langkawi, he noted.

The Thai government opened the new honourable consulate in Langkawi last week.

--TNA 2005-06-13

Editor note:

Thai Conuslates and Embassies abroad are serving Thai Nationals for passport issues etc, and issue different type of visas to foreigners travelling to Thailand.

If I'm not mistaken, Thai nationals could visit Langkawi and get in without a visa. I took my Mrs down there a few years ago and it was a piece of cake. Perhaps they're talking about longer stays. :o

Thais already can get into Malaysia with out a visa I thought? Normally 30 days they gave my TGF before anyways.

Also can a Farang get a Thai visa (either O or tourist visa) there (in Langkawi) for Thailand now or not?

Why give us so little info?

Anyne know?

Edited by ayakiawe

Keyword = "honourary"

They can accept applications but have to send everything to "official" consulate for processing.

e.g. Langkawi accepts paperwork and passport and mails them to KL or Penang

then they come back sorted and Langkawi takes the fee off you

...... at least that's how I read it.

p.s. anyone know if Brits still get 90-day visa on entry when going to Malaysia?

Keyword = "honourary"

They can accept applications but have to send everything to "official" consulate for processing.

p.s. anyone know if Brits still get 90-day visa on entry when going to Malaysia?

Like that really helps anyone...

Why don't they make the offices they have open a bit more friendlier then opening one up that I WILL NEVER GO TO IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Like I want to go to the south 1)looooooooongest/slooooooooooowest train ride in the world, along with busssssssssssssses.....

FLy? well, tell me a good price... YET...

Why don't they improve the ones in Poipet, to do more then just visitor visas... coz the only places i know that give non-b's are Penang,kota bharu, and Vientienne... why don't they make the one in Poipet easier to obtain...

Maybe you guys have additive help, but from my perspective, it is a waste of money, in a already ruin situation.

How is the ONLINE, JUNE 1st Immigration/visa situation going, anyone know?

are we all linked and ready to serve you mode?

I don't think soooooooo....

hehehehe crazy people, in a crazy LOS....

C

Opps... I forgot... #2) muslim south... where "farangs" can be the "target"...

or shall we say?, Langkawi another Targeted place... by plane, by sea... heheheh

hmmm terrorism on an island... so relaxing... sounds like Philippines...(next)....

not complaining, just wonder how the system can be any better.

I wonder why this is important... coz, if ur a vacationeer, you don't need to get a visa...coz any country will give you a 30+ visa(tourist), so only reason to go there is to get a Non-b or other, "LET ME LIVE HERE LONG TIME" visa.

so, how is this beneficial?

other than a Tsunami "bring'em back" method.

C

Keyword = "honourary"

I know a couple of honourary Thai consuls, one in Melbourne and another in Sausalito (USA) and both of them can issue visas in a matter of minutes, no approval needed from anyone else in the Thai consular system. I can't imagine the one in Langkawi would be any different.

Like that really helps anyone...

Why don't they make the offices they have open a bit more friendlier then opening one up that I WILL NEVER GO TO IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Like I want to go to the south 1)looooooooongest/slooooooooooowest train ride in the world, along with busssssssssssssses.....

FLy? well, tell me a good price... YET...

Why don't they improve the ones in Poipet, to do more then just visitor visas... coz the only places i know that give non-b's are Penang,kota bharu, and Vientienne... why don't they make the one in Poipet easier to obtain...

Maybe you guys have additive help, but from my perspective, it is a waste of money, in a already ruin situation.

How is the ONLINE, JUNE 1st Immigration/visa situation going, anyone know?

are we all linked and ready to serve you mode?

I don't think soooooooo....

hehehehe crazy people, in a crazy LOS....

C

Well I'd say for a start that there are probably cases in which this consulate will help many. You just don't fall into that demographic.

Maybe you should consider that the world or in this case. Thailand does not revolve around you.

New Thai consulate opened in Langkawi, Malaysia 

The Thai government opened the new honourable consulate in Langkawi last week.

--TNA 2005-06-13

Editor note:

Thai Conuslates and Embassies abroad are serving Thai Nationals for passport issues etc, and issue different type of visas to foreigners travelling to Thailand.

Great news. Langkawi is a beautiful island compared to Penang.

Hope the issue of visas to foreigners is not an issue. :o

What has not been mentioned in this thread and what must be considered to fully understand the logic behind the new consulate is the fact that the island of LangKawi was 'aquired' :o by Mahatir during his 'reign' as PM and is totally controlled by the "Good Dr. M". B. History and facts bear this out.

All this amounts to is another effort by the Dr. M to gain publicity and increase the notoriety of the island as an international tourist destination. If you have monitored the 'goings on' of Langkawi over the past few years and the associated international publicity gained, it is easy to see that this is all just a part of the 'grand scheme of things', nothing more, nothing less.

This man is a very shrewd business man with a lot more savoy than most realize. One has to wonder who on the Thai side is involved and what 'agreements' and 'arrangements' are involved. I feel confident that there is a lot more beneath the surface than we will ever know.

Keyword = "honourary"

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

As this seems to be a Langkawi thread I thought to post here.

Has anyone thought of or is anyone living there. I have been living in LOS for a number of years and though I have no real complaints the visa situation is a bit of a pain and getting expensive.

I am just a tourist and as UK citizen can enter Malaysia 90 days for FREE. No visa no hassle no 1900Bt extensions – buys a lot of beer, especially as if I remember from my one visit to Langkawi a can of Heineken was 5bt. Tax free island.

Anyone have any info on UK visa extensions would I just have to go out and come in again or is there a limit on how many time that can be done. Also how about accommodation are there cheap huts/bungalows for long term on the beach?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks. :o