Registration Of Sim Cards

Jai Dee

Reference: email from Pattaya Expats Club

Dear all,

The article below appears to clear up some of the confusion over which prefix to use for international calls, and explains to me why last time I couldn't find any info on 009 prefix, because I was looking on the TOT website when I should have been looking for a CAT website.

By the way, don't forget to register your mobile phone SIM card before July 1st 2005. Your number will be blocked if you don't. Pattaya Expats Club reported the following; "As a foreigner you will need to visit a 'phone shop', take your phone, your passport and a note of your address. It is reported to be a quick and easy process."

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TELEPHONE TIPS (13 April 2005) (Pattaya Expats Club website)

Save money on Domestic calls in Thailand, from a 'fixed-line' (house phone), using both ToT & TT&T lines.

If your Pattaya telephone number begins 0382xxxxx or 0384xxxxx you have a TOT line. If it begins 0383xxxxx or 0387xxxxx you have a TT&T line.

ONLY for calls OUTSIDE your own 'local' area, dial 1234, then the area code and number you are calling, to ANY phone - ANYWHERE in Thailand (both fixed line AND mobile), you will get a substantial discount (since 13 October 2000). The discount varies with the carrier (ToT or TT&T). I live in Pattaya, I've used this system for more than 3 years. A call to my wife's 'home' village, to a mobile phone, is normally 12 baht/min (ToT). Using this '1234' system the cost is reduced to 2 baht/min - every time, 24hrs a day. The SAME pre-dial code is used for both ToT & TT&T lines.

(example of dial sequence 1234-053-43xxxx)

Domestic - Thailand Mobile Discount

Dtac. Until end of 2005 - 1 baht/min after the first (only slightly more expensive) minute. If you have Dtac, or Dprompt, or Happy sim, dial *1003 and follow the instructions. I did it, it works. It's also handy to top-up your prepaid time with this carrier from an ATM, or via internet-banking. Again a promotion exists - 900 baht of time for 800 baht cost. It's getting better!

One more tip. SMS (this is the text messaging service, available on most mobile phones) costs no more than 10 baht per message (a fixed charge, depending on provider) to anywhere in the world. (example given is 1-2-call). (D-Prompt Baby Sim has now reduced this charge to 3 baht per message + VAT) (Dtac charges 5 baht per message, to anywhere)

The internet is still the cheapest world-wide telephone service, but it continues to have some drawbacks, and requires computer equipment. However, if you are one of those lucky ones on a good fast connection try 'DialPad' (http://www.dialpad.com), they have 3 monthly plans and 2 prepaid. Particularly good for US access (from member Dave - thanks!)

Most Thai mobiles these days will call International, including pre-paid card phones.

CALLING INTERNATIONAL FROM THAILAND

There are now two 'official' companies offering International Telephone Services here in Thailand.

CAT - offers 'International' connections via the prefix 001 & 009 (different prices), and is available for almost all phones.

ToT - offers 'International' connections via the prefix 007 & 008 (different prices), and is available for all phones.

001. The original International Access code for use FROM Thailand. All phones will connect if prefix 001 is used. The quality is excellent, BUT this is the most expensive method. In most cases it will NOT be necessary to use 001 - try these others first.

007. This is the new high quality service for ALL lines + mobiles (cheaper than 001). Recommended for fax use, and '1st class' voice.

009. This is the new prefix number for all TT&T lines, AND mobile phones of these providers (AMPS, GSM, CDME, DTAC, AIS, ORANGE). This prefix provides a good discount via Voip (reduced quality) (cheaper than 007).

008. This is the new reduced quality service for ALL lines + mobiles, perfectly adequate for voice (cheaper than 007).

Note - 007. Prices vary with destination, but, until further notice a promotion of 9 baht/min will operate 24/7 to the following countries:

Note - 008 & 009. Prices vary with destination, but, until further notice a promotion of 7 baht/min will operate 24/7 to the following countries:

Alaska, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, China, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Guam, Hawaii, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Israel, Italy, Japan, Korea, Kuwait, Laos. Macau, Malaysia, Mexico, Norway, Russia, Singapore, South Africa, Taiwan, U.K, U.S.A.

By the way, don't forget to register your mobile phone SIM card before July 1st 2005. Your number will be blocked if you don't. Pattaya Expats Club reported the following; "As a foreigner you will need to visit a 'phone shop', take your phone, your passport and a note of your address. It is reported to be a quick and easy process."

You serious Jai Dee?

:o

Has anybody on this forum SUCCESSFULLY registered their phone???

All our attempts thus far, at police, amphur and phone shops have met with the response 'forms not here yet, come back later' :o

What to do??

You serious Jai Dee?

That's why I posted it Neeranam... I want confirmation or clarification too. :D

Please note that I only posted the email message... and made no comment.

Apologies if it wasn't clear.

I registered my DTAC SIM at the DTAC shop at The Mall, Korat. No other DTAC shop in town would do it. At The Mall one of the workers tapped my SIM serial number, along with my name, and passport number into a computer. I think she also had to enter codes for my immigration status and nationality. It didn't take long. I asked for a receipt which request was met by shrugged shoulders and a blank stare. I was not asked for my address.

So, I think a registered my SIM. On the other hand I may have only entered some sort of contest or put my name forward for "cheerleader of the year". Who knows.

YMMV

All our attempts thus far, at police, amphur and phone shops have met with the response 'forms not here yet, come back later' 

What to do??

Go to my better halves shop.

Among other things she sells mobile phones and SIM cards.

For a while now any new phones or SIM cards she sells are registered by using the ID card from Thai's or the passport from Farangs etc.

She then faxes the completed documents to the relevent companies in Bangkok I am not sure about registering a used phone but it should not be that difficult but it probably will be.

I called AIS the other day and was told that from July 1 you can register, and you have 6 months to do so. You will be able to register at the post office, certain banks, AIS shops, and many other places.

I think it will be well publicised when it happens.

Goodness knows why they need it, though. I have registered my name, passport number and address when I got my sim card.

Amazing Thailand.

The was an article in the Bangkok post 2-3 weeks ago saying they have extended registering the sim and must be done before the end of 2005.Sorry can't be bothered searching for the article,but I have a good contact and says it true,So plenty of time. :o

The was an article in the Bangkok post 2-3 weeks ago saying they have extended registering the sim and must be done before the end of 2005.Sorry can't be bothered searching for the article,but I have a good contact and says it true,So plenty of time. :o

Yeah, I'm pretty sure we have 'till the end of the year. It's just that with all the fuss being made you'd think there would be just SOME information available.

Oh, but. TiT :D:D

Goodness knows why they need it, though.  I have registered my name, passport number and address when I got my sim card. 

When did you buy it? I got one in early April and it was totally anonymous. No name, no PP number, no questions asked. Just bought a used phone at Klang Plaza, Korat, that included a "free" sim and off I walked....

Of course, that's the way it ought to be; libertarian that I am.

Goodness knows why they need it, though.  I have registered my name, passport number and address when I got my sim card. 

When did you buy it? I got one in early April and it was totally anonymous. No name, no PP number, no questions asked. Just bought a used phone at Klang Plaza, Korat, that included a "free" sim and off I walked....

Of course, that's the way it ought to be; libertarian that I am.

I got mine quite a few years ago (4 I think).

OK. I just called AIS. They tell me that from July 1 you can take your passport to any AIS shop to register. You have about 6 months to do so.

Of course, if someone else calls, they will get a different response. :o

Excerpt quoted from today's Pattaya Expats Club Newsletter - June 15, 2005

"More on the mobile phone registration - a member found not all

phone-shops will register your sim ownership if you're not buying

from them! One that will is Telewiz, in both Carrefour and IT

centre (south Pattaya road) - needs to be completed by July 31st.

As a foreigner you will need to take your phone, your passport & a

note of your address, and get a copy of the registration document.

Folks report a quick & easy process. Failure to comply will result

in the phone number being blocked."

I have no comment on the validity of this information, but if true, there's only 6 weeks remaining before the deadline. :o

Source here.

The was an article in the Bangkok post 2-3 weeks ago saying they have extended registering the sim and must be done before the end of 2005.Sorry can't be bothered searching for the article,but I have a good contact and says it true,So plenty of time. :D

Just looked it up ,it states registration to be completed by 6 months from April 18 2005..also checked DTAC site ,it states a fee of 199 bt for registration.

21.5 million sim cards @199 bt = over 4 billion bt. nice little earner :o

Gee. As I stated previously, I registered mine at the DTAC Shop at The Mall in Korat last week for free....

Thinking a bit more on this one... maybe "prepaid" SIM cards are the ones in question, as all other accounts must have a registered owner with a valid address to send the bill.

Has anybody on this forum SUCCESSFULLY registered their phone???

All our attempts thus far, at police, amphur and phone shops have met with the response 'forms not here yet, come back later' :o

What to do??

/quote]

Yes. I went to my local shopping mall today and visited the AIS shop(I have a 1,2 Call pre-paid SIMM). They had a separate desk for registrations with a simple Thai form, writing desk and pens provided. Helpful assistant checked my Passport. I filled in Name, PP Number, SIMM Card number (as printed on the back of the actual SIMM so need to remove it from the 'phone) and, of course the telephone number. He clacked it onto a PC and that was it. Five minutes.

• 2 months later...

I registered my SIM card today at Telewiz on the second floor of DOTCOM City next to the Friendship supermarket on Pattaya Tai (South Road).

I had to produce my original passport, and the girl filled out a form and I signed it. The whole procedure took just a few minutes.

It is better to act now IMHO; rather than wait for the mad rush and 199 baht charge which will begin as December 31st deadline approaches.