Bangkok: Central World Shopping Mall Destroyed By Fire

webfact

Of course many many working class Thais will be out of a job because of the torching of Central World.

You make it sound as if Central World was a workers' paradise.

I doubt there will be nary a tear shed by the toilet cleaners, floor sweepers and security guards that had obscene wealth and snobbery rammed down their throats on a daily basis.

You are a very sad cynical and quite ill informed person. Amazing that you can make such a sweeping statement about thousands of other people that you don't know regarding how THEY feel about their jobs and their working conditions. But you are right I'm sure those people that had wealth and snobbery??? rammed down their throats every day are likely glad they have no income and can't pay their bills and have to move in with friends or sell stuff they have etc..etc.. to survive.. and finally have you ever been inside CW??? Snobbery?? Wealth??? Ummmmm I don't think so....

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unquestionably honest as in ..when he said on BBC that he would step down for the good of the country if the situation would "get worse" in Thailand? That was when the protesters were only blocking Rajprasong and there was no civil war yet in Thailand. Thankfully it didn't get any worse from there. :)

Still waiting for the link or something to back up your claim Abhisit said he would step down if things "get worse"

Surely if he said this on BBC it will be somewhere in print or on a video.

I feel bad for the guitar shop I went in once to get some strings...I am sure those people that worked there are really happy.

UnterKommando you are a very sad individual.

Are you sure they were breaking the law? After all, they were in their temple. And from what I've seen they were sheltering women and children inside the temple and saving their lives.

Oh and still waiting for the link to show the pictures of the Monks handcuffed outside were arrested "in the Temple".

Of course many many working class Thais will be out of a job because of the torching of Central World.

I doubt there will be nary a tear shed by the toilet cleaners, floor sweepers and security guards that had obscene wealth and snobbery rammed down their throats on a daily basis.

Have you ever been there????????????/

Not only was it a mall (2nd largest in Asia) it was a 45 story building with numerous tenants beyond the 8 stories which was a mall

Edit: And if you had a clue about working class people in Bangkok you would know that probably 80% to 90% of the people working their had a college degree. You can even get a job as a clerk in one of those stores without one.

Edited by jcbangkok

Eh? I know a couple of people who worked there, good friend of mine worked in one of the clinics and was very upset yesterday about what happened, and are worried they're out of work now. Another person I know that worked in Central World is equally worried about the situation for the same reasons- they had a job, and they're place of work has gone, with no guarantee they'll be moved to another branch.

Ok, having listened again I yield on the accent. I'm a bit hard of hearing anyway. I wasn't having a pop at Australians or New Zealanders, and am quite prepared to accept that we have prats in England.

I still hope that immigration trace him and he has to face the music. I also hope that the embassy takes an interest in identifying him.

And yes, I do feel sorry for the workers who are out of a job because of the destruction of Central World.

Edited by JAG

I have yet to see a single innocent murdered in the riots...enlighten us please.

So you are judge and jury now, are you? You do write some stupid bigoted stuff TAWP.

I thought it was a fair point. Where are the murdered innocents?

In civilised countries - the sort of countries that the majority of posters on Thaivisa come from - innocence is determined by a trial, not by the cross-hairs in a sniper's rifle sights.

I have yet to see a single innocent murdered in the riots...enlighten us please.

So you are judge and jury now, are you? You do write some stupid bigoted stuff TAWP.

I thought it was a fair point. Where are the murdered innocents?

In civilised countries - the sort of countries that the majority of posters on Thaivisa come from - innocence is determined by a trial, not by the cross-hairs in a sniper's rifle sights.

I don't mean this as an insult or disrespectful but do you think before you post or are you in need of medication?

In the United States you are INNOCENT until proven guilty ... There is no criminal court in America that finds somebody innocent. You can only be found not guilty. Somehow I have a feeling most civilized nations have similar laws about being innocent before trial.

As I said before, your mind seems to be working in reverse.

RE: the turd from OZ in the photo, my wife has these words for you

Now we see truth, thai leaders rich cowards paid to make north thai people give up lives

I like to see Farlang that supported this pay some penalty, we had spot made for him in Thai prison

Like many other Farang they helped to make Thai man violent think he hero, this Farang many more cause many Thai to die

Hope these men can sleep good at night, many Thai cry for lost man

If think this is about help Thai, you need new brain Jai dam

look poster written in Farang language, all about get attention of Farang not for Thai people

I see many write to help Protest, Now you burn my county stop my sistars work, stop us make money to help family

Farang now you go leave Thailand we no want you here

Stay only good Farang who will help repair Thailand.

My wife feelings

Yes, 100% as I have full confidence that authorities are not arresting Monks without cause just as they were not targeting reporters with snipers ... neither would serve any purpose and would only hurt their cause.

Oh, and beyond your friend ... any link to prove your statement they were taken from the Temple?

No doubt we will know more about what went on inside the temple when the smoke clears. There is at least one report that suggests this may turn out to be quite significant.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/as...nd-1977647.html

I have no way of knowing whether this is true, but the story is going to have plenty of resonance in Baan Nok, especially when the wounded and the bodies are returned to the NE.

Interesting article, thank you. No doubt stories like these will spread like wildfire in the North and North East.

Kitty, you said they WERE IN THE TEMPLE & you made another statement of fact that Abhisit said in a BBC interview that he would RESIGN IF THINGS GOT WORSE

Kitty, Please provide something to back up these statement of facts or let us know you are not speaking truths here. or at minimum stating opinion and bad memories as facts

Edited by jcbangkok

Edit: And if you had a clue about working class people in Bangkok you would know that probably 80% to 90% of the people working their had a college degree. You can even get a job as a clerk in one of those stores without one.

An often regurgitated myth perpetrated by misinformed foreigners.

RE: the turd from OZ in the photo, my wife has these words for you

Now we see truth, thai leaders rich cowards paid to make north thai people give up lives

I like to see Farlang that supported this pay some penalty, we had spot made for him in Thai prison

Like many other Farang they helped to make Thai man violent think he hero, this Farang many more cause many Thai to die

Hope these men can sleep good at night, many Thai cry for lost man

If think this is about help Thai, you need new brain Jai dam

look poster written in Farang language, all about get attention of Farang not for Thai people

I see many write to help Protest, Now you burn my county stop my sistars work, stop us make money to help family

Farang now you go leave Thailand we no want you here

Stay only good Farang who will help repair Thailand.

My wife feelings

I haven't heard any arrest stats re: foreigners but there is a chance this guy was one of the "innocent" hospitalized or killed.

You obviously have no clue whatsoever about the working class in BKK. The same level of knowledge you showed in your other post which clearly showed you had no clue about the Center World Building.

Yes, 100% as I have full confidence that authorities are not arresting Monks without cause just as they were not targeting reporters with snipers ... neither would serve any purpose and would only hurt their cause.

Oh, and beyond your friend ... any link to prove your statement they were taken from the Temple?

No doubt we will know more about what went on inside the temple when the smoke clears. There is at least one report that suggests this may turn out to be quite significant.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/as...nd-1977647.html

I have no way of knowing whether this is true, but the story is going to have plenty of resonance in Baan Nok, especially when the wounded and the bodies are returned to the NE.

Interesting article, thank you. No doubt stories like these will spread like wildfire in the North and North East.

Kitty, you said they WERE IN THE TEMPLE & you made another statement of fact that Abhisit said in a BBC interview that he would RESIGN IF THINGS GOT WORSE

Kitty, Please provide something to back up these statement of facts or let us know you are not speaking truths here. or at minimum stating opinion and bad memories as facts

BBC's HardTalk with Abhisit.

You obviously have no clue whatsoever about the working class in BKK. The same level of knowledge you showed in your other post which clearly showed you had no clue about the Center World Building.

The myth that you need a college degree to work in 7/11 is often perpetrated by foreigners. It's in the same league as 'foreigners are always at fault in a car accident' and other nuggets of wisdom, passed down from bar-stool to bar-stool.

The truth of the matter is college degrees, no matter how worthless, command higher wages thus employers seeking non-skilled labour often prefer non-degree holders. This is especially true in malls, where it can be difficult for degree holders due to competition for jobs.

I am going to make one post and one post only, for those of you who seem unaware.

There is ZERO tolerance for inflammatory posts, baiting, and flaming Any poster who is found in violation of one of these will be suspended from posting immediately.

So, I suggest that many members think twice before hitting that ADD REPLY button.

He didn't say it Kitty and neither do you have anything to back up your claims about the monks.

Edit: Re: the BBC interview ... here are plenty of records of the interview ... let me know which one he says he would resign if things "get worse" ... http://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer...bhisit&aq=f

Edited by jcbangkok

Hey Ober - why don't you let everyone know what your moniker means - historically, in German? I'm sure that will make people much more sympathetic, knowing you are sporting a Nazi SS rank. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oberkommando_der_Wehrmacht

Edited by SomTumTiger

He didn't say it Kitty and neither do you have anything to back up your claims about the monks.

Uh, yeah he did. Anyone can watch it and decide it for themselves if Einstein is right or if Kitty is right *scratch scratch rawr rawr*

Uh, yeah he did. Anyone can watch it and decide it for themselves if Einstein is right or if Kitty is right *scratch scratch rawr rawr*

I watched it Kitty and he never said that. I now have provided you links to the audio and video of the interview and you are welcome to show where he said this.

This is the same Farang that was on the BBC a few days ago at the Red barricade.

I remember a few people trying to identify him.

He is from London.

Here he is again threatening to Loot and Burn down Central World. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3YqrqhMvco...layer_embedded#!

Anyone know who he is?

Take away his Visa assuming he has one and throw the fuc_ker out of the Country!! :D

Viking, not sure why anyone honest person would get upset about providing links or proof to back up what they (you & Kitty) are stating as historical fact. I don't see too many people here but the red sympathizers condoning violence and/or lawlessness having an issue with this.

The myth that you need a college degree to work in 7/11 is often perpetrated by foreigners. It's in the same league as 'foreigners are always at fault in a car accident' and other nuggets of wisdom, passed down from bar-stool to bar-stool.

The truth of the matter is college degrees, no matter how worthless, command higher wages thus employers seeking non-skilled labour often prefer non-degree holders. This is especially true in malls, where it can be difficult for degree holders due to competition for jobs.

Well, I can only talk from personal experience about the two people I know most about who worked in Central World, one had a college degree, one didn't (they dropped out before the end of their course). But we're not talking about a giant 7-11 here. There were a variety of shops and clinics etc in Central World. I don't really know what any of this has to 7-11 though. or why having a college degree or not would mean they wouldn't be upset as seeing their place of work torched, and the prospect of losing their job.

I really don't have time to read through all of these pages.

Are we talking about the Central World Plaza, opposite the Big C mall, the one that used to be called The World Trade Centre, before 9/11?

Isetan one end,(sorry about the spelling of this Japanese dept store, if it's wrong) and Zen the other? :)

Edited by trashy

Are we talking about the Central World Plaza, opposite the Big C mall, the one that used to be called The World Trade Centre, before 9/11?

Isetan one end,(sorry about the spelling of this Japanese dept store, if it's wrong) and Zen the other? :)

That's the one.

Yup ... except I don't believe the name change had to do w/911

Edited by jcbangkok

Yes, most people are talking about Central World while a minority of red comrades (otherwise known as losers) are attempting to wind people up. Fortunately it isn't working - it's actually quite comical. No Thaksin, no money, the party's over. Shhhhh Viking shhhhhhhh

Yes I'm sure their childrens' food & the rent, are of minor concern to these poor people. They are dancing for joy now, liberated from all the class-envy they had to endure. Now all they have to worry about is starving in the street. They are so lucky they were liberated from their incomes, by a drunken, meth-snorting mob of brainless Red murderers.

Oh happy day , Santa Claus is coming to town in his red hat, with his exploding parcels and his gifts for kiddies : no food to eat or home to sleep in! Hohoho.

You're some sort of 'people's poet' or something. Don't you realize that the toilet cleaner's you presume to comment on, might very well have accepted their place in the machine ? Maybe they were grateful for their jobs. Maybe they KNOW that there are richer people than them, and they didn't need some drunken red mob torching their workplace to teach them this massive socioeconomic insight.

I'm low-paid. Always have been. I don't care. I'm graduate self educated, I work menial jobs for 23 years & I don't care. I'm like not bothered and stuff. Theres millions of people who are perfectly happy doing low paid jobs. Its called finding your niche. A comfortable routine. They take a quiet pride in a well-polished floor. Paying the bills. They don't want you, don't need you, to be their fire-wielding god of justice.

Hey monkey, I'm missing the warrants against Aghisit and his horde for murde innocent people.

Do you have any brain or lost it last night in a bar???

It is sad to see buildings destroyed in this manner. Was this meant to happen? or did it go further than the prem expected.

The Japanese photographer really his camera was an anti aircraft gun. we were only defending ourselves. My condolences to all the families that lost their loved ones.

Edited by Democrat