Bangkok: Central World Shopping Mall Destroyed By Fire

webfact

It is grief strickening to hear that Central World will be demolished. I do hope they catch the perpetrators at all levels and I do support capital punishment for this level of destruction.

Isnt it increadible that Centrel World was burnt and Gaysorn right across the street and which can be considered very elitist and high end was left totaly unscratched.

The Siam Theatre was torched but Paragon/Siam Discovery/Siam Centre were able to "fight off" arsonist and escaped unscathed.

BIG C Rajdamri, its a walmart man!!! nothing elitist about it although amongst BIg C it can be considered the Hi-So BIG C.....

Mainly Bangkok Bank targeted too.......

Look at what got torched and what didnt. A little obvious dont you think?

Maybe they had better security? I'm not sure I'm pretty surprised it wasn't attacked.

Also, I read on the news that Central World is going to be demolished, also Big C which is across the road to Central World is as well badly damaged.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anybody know why these targets were chosen?

For instance, they could have gone for Gaysorn, Amarin and Siam Paragon. Neither was targeted.

Why did they choose the two cinemas and Central World? Also, why Center One? Is that the big mall where everybody goes to buy clothes with the McDonalds on the ground floor?

The targets seem an odd choice to me.

.... I see somebody else has asked the same questions.

As for big C Rajadamari. It has a very popular food hall that's very busy at lunch times and is more reasonably priced than the one at Paragon in the basement.

The target would seem to be the Central Group. Are the super-rich owners involved with the Yellows?

Many of the pictures have shown the military outfditted with what look to be pump action shot guns. Isn't that a little surprising? Isn't the range of these weapons limited? is this because they cannot shoot straight and have to spray the pellets to get a hit?
Has it been confirmed yet whether or not all of Central World will be demolished or is it just the Zen portion?

They shot the less lethal rubber bullets, so you should be happy to see a lot of them around instead of assault rifles.

*sigh*

Communist drivel is so tiresome.

Communism has proven not to work, but corrupt forms of "capitalism" and "democracy" don't function much better, as witnessed by recent events in BKK.

Ironically it seems workers have the best conditions in the Scandanavian countries, not the so-called communist states, but they are relatively small nations.

But perhaps you would label their strict protection of worker and social rights communist.

I think you mean that for example corporatism is what we see in the US, and yes, it does not work as a benefit for the people as it prohibits true capitalism.

But I would not agree that best conditions, as you mention Scandinavia would have, per automatic mean they (we) have it right as many things goes wrong there too...

Isnt it increadible that Centrel World was burnt and Gaysorn right across the street and which can be considered very elitist and high end was left totaly unscratched.

The Siam Theatre was torched but Paragon/Siam Discovery/Siam Centre were able to "fight off" arsonist and escaped unscathed.

BIG C Rajdamri, its a walmart man!!! nothing elitist about it although amongst BIg C it can be considered the Hi-So BIG C.....

Ofcourse, if it was a true class war every high-so place would be targeted, not only those that was listed on Red Shirts lists as 'Yellow supporters'...

It is all about taking out the opposition, rich people using pawns to create damage for other rich - with no regards how many poor or middle class that are affected in the process.

Remember this when the head terrorists go to election next time...you have a voice with you extended families too.

It is interesting that he mentions Gold and Watches since it's not obvious to everybody that that's what's in Central World. In many ways those shops were in the older World Trade portion. Thong Tae on the basement with and others on higher floors. A lot of them take their stock home for fear of theft and others keep their stock in safes. Whether they are fireproof or not is another matter but some of these places keep very expensive Pateks which I'd expect they don't keep on site overnight and there's really only one or two Gold shops so maybe this farang is one of those who active hangs out in Asia trading watches for a living. I know a few people who do that. To me you're average farang isn't going to know or care about Gold and Watch shops at Central World.

Do your best to spread this video please. This man is a terrorist and a danger to innocent citizens. He must be caught and trialed on terrorist charges. He was clearly high up enough to know of the red shirts plans. All must be done to find this man. I wouldn't even be shocked if he was one of the pro-red TV posters.

Isolated him out in this screen capture image from the video of the Red Terrorist Farang

lunatic.png

I guess no gain can be had by Demolishing Shinawatra Towers and University then ;-)

It is interesting that he mentions Gold and Watches since it's not obvious to everybody that that's what's in Central World. In many ways those shops were in the older World Trade portion. Thong Tae on the basement with and others on higher floors. A lot of them take their stock home for fear of theft and others keep their stock in safes. Whether they are fireproof or not is another matter but some of these places keep very expensive Pateks which I'd expect they don't keep on site overnight and there's really only one or two Gold shops so maybe this farang is one of those who active hangs out in Asia trading watches for a living. I know a few people who do that. To me you're average farang isn't going to know or care about Gold and Watch shops at Central World.
Do your best to spread this video please. This man is a terrorist and a danger to innocent citizens. He must be caught and trialed on terrorist charges. He was clearly high up enough to know of the red shirts plans. All must be done to find this man. I wouldn't even be shocked if he was one of the pro-red TV posters.

Isolated him out in this screen capture image from the video of the Red Terrorist Farang

lunatic.png

The Thai wife casually mentioned the other day that it wasn't the 'reds' that torched Central, but a bunch of drunk teenagers that were on the way out when the red rats escaped. Any truth to this????

It could have been mentioned in an earlier post, but 39 pages is hard to wade thru.

Surely there were security webcams, but maybe disabled with power cut?? but still many journalists and I'm sure the army had infiltrators. Surely some witnesses??

The Reds never really existed, they were an entirely causeless group of disparate elements to beigin with, funded by a megalomaniac underworld fugitive. In such terms, did the Reds torch the the buildings. Yes they did. But you must bear in mind, that the Red mob comprised bribed farmers, a small scattering of urban gang members, possibly a couple of pro fighters imported by Thaksin from ex-soviet states, and also a large contingent of European and American Rich Kids With Pop Toys. My money says most of the burning was the foreign rich kids getting to indulge their anarchist dreams at the expense of working-class Bkk citizens.

Bunch of fancy-pants Anarchists who put down their Xbox and nokia phone for a moment and don a black mask and scream "burn the system!" even though their Daddy in America is a millionaire and will give them a job in in the family legal firm in a few years when the boys hormones have died down.I would put around 1% of the red mob were foreign faux-anarchists, who think its cool and hip to travel to friendly developing nations and have exciting gun battles and burn down stores. Including that fat drunk uk boy on the Tv. But I saw hundreds of these MTV-kids fight the power types walking around looking to burn stuff, for the last few weeks.

A notable point is that : Starbucks, McDonalds, Stock exchange, and luxury good stores were hit ASAP. Infact they were going up so fast that the people torching them hadnt even been at the protest site recently. Those targets are a bibliography of the Western Spoiled Kid Anarchist School Of Coolness, it goes along with you have to have the Che Guevara poster, you have to hate starbucks, mcDs, shopping centres and stockmarkets.

They will fly back in their black anarchist designer T-shirt, to Us/ uk/ scandinavia or somewhere, back to their wealthy families and their doting girlfrend with the piercings who thinks her boy is so cool for taking on those Cops and The Suits, feeling all excited because they did "real anarchist stuff! yee-ha!" . Leaving behind just a lot of broken dreams, broken businesses, grieving families who's son was drafted into the military, street cleaners who have to work in the burning stench.

Ovaltina:

Considering there were very very few farang in any of the videos that have been shown and even fewer reports of farangs I can only assume one of two things here. 1. either you mean western educated Thais or 2. you are propagating false information. If the second then I suggest you desist as further such misleading posts will result in suspension

May be someone knows the owner of the Big c Building as many pundits say why central and Big C and other shops nearby not touched. Firstly I thought maybe it was the red rabble. Now I am getting suspicious. Did the govt and the red leaders together know or hope this would happen, and if they did who is behind it and what for? Or has someone sent there own red rabble and fueled this? There is certainly very poor propaganda machines working on both sides. Why have banks and some institutions all over the country been closed including Yala. I know because the insurgents in Yala may bomb one! Ooops that could happen any day. I think they are trying to alienate the people they have not already alienated.

Maybe they had better security? I'm not sure I'm pretty surprised it wasn't attacked.

Also, I read on the news that Central World is going to be demolished, also Big C which is across the road to Central World is as well badly damaged.

I think what it shows it that this was an organized, planned action, even more damning for the red leadership.

Ovaltina:

Considering there were very very few farang in any of the videos that have been shown and even fewer reports of farangs I can only assume one of two things here. 1. either you mean western educated Thais or 2. you are propagating false information. If the second then I suggest you desist as further such misleading posts will result in suspension

Neither, I was just commenting on empirical evidence, of living in Bangkok, walking round the areas etc.etc. I've seen a lot of caucasian youngsters in anarchist T-shirts and the whole shebang.. The stall at the bottom of my road has been selling black army boots and coshes and knuckledusters, and I've seen Western kids buying them.

Also I am familiar with the so called anarchist movement, I made a study of it in my Sociology Degree. I have actually seen these rich kids up close & it is my opinion they are very low-life indeed to propagate violence in the nameof what they consider 'hip'

I know they aren't trained assasins or anything you might have misunderstood me. But they are young dumb and easily led into chucking petrol bombs.

Nonetheless, I will as you say desist, I know that the truth is often unpopular, even when it is written by well-meaning educated pacifists.

Found this on the internet:

The Bangkok Post is owned and managed by Democrat supporters and funders, the Chirathivats (Central Group) included ...

2007 Forbes list of Thailand's richest people:

#13 Wanida Chirathivat & family

#25 Vanchai Chirathivat & family

#36 Suthichai Chirathivat

#37 Suthikiati Chirathivat(Holds 13% of Post Publishing)

Support for Dems could be reason Central Group targeted.

The good people of Thailand do not deserve the viciousness of Thaksin's red horde. May they all rot.

I hope they use the frozen money from Thaksin to repair Bangkok, give back the people destroyed shops and give back the beauty of Bangkok!

My Thai friend has dropped a couple of bombshells on me today, he is suggesting that there are several clans against each other. He says it may have been Thaksin but there is another 2 groups that would be happy to demolish anything owned by the central group. Big C was done later than CW and may have been paybacks. This is all getting confusing it reminds me of 'The night Chicago died'. Will anyone ever know the Truth? I am sure the judges will know. But the courts never will.

From a Thai blogger:

ASEAN's second largest shopping complex is near collapse from being set to blaze-but why?

One reason is newspaper the Bangkok Post that has been single-mindedly urging the Thai government to crackdown on the protesters.

That relation with the government is so lucrative the Post group got a big chunk of programing air time with the government TV.

The owner of Post and Central World is of course the Chirathivat family where things are so cordial with the government, Abhisit, the Thai prime minister who ordered the crackdown, has a cousin, same last name, who is a big boss at Post Today.

The good people of Thailand do not deserve the viciousness of Thaksin's red horde. May they all rot.

Denial is not a river in Egypt - time for Thailand to stop playing the blame game and learn from this tragic experience. As great Scottish poet Robert Burns wrote, " Would God the giftie gie us, to see ourselves as others see us.

" Twould from many an error free us,

And foolish notion..""

Time to pray for Thailand... :)

Wikipedia:

"During the tenure of prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, the Post largely toed the government line—at one point bowing to government pressure by firing a reporter who had exposed cracks in the runway of the prestige project Suvarnabhumi Airport along with the news editor."

I recall this as Thaksin and his government put increasing pressure on the media.

If BBK Post=Central Group=Democrat bias

That could explain the fire targets. It also calls into question the credibility of the newspaper.

I bet if we really knew and could tease the various threads out of this whole story we would find what many have said: A battle over personal power between various clans. Sure that seems apparent but these kind of links could actually prove it. It isn't only Thaiksin after personal, direct power (and money, of course).

Man found suffocated on fourth floor of CentralWorld

Fire fighters found a body of a man on the fourth floor of CentralWorld at 12:30 pm Friday.

He was not burnt but apparently died of suffocation.

He was believed to be around 25 to 30 years old.

His body was found in a mobile phone shop.

The Nation

Rest in Peace - an innocent businessman most likely, trying to protect his goods - becomes a victim of the Red terrorist's arson attack.

Or he could have been a looter. One would have hoped that even the most defiant of shop owners would have known not only the danger but the futility of trying to protect his business from a mob of that size.

Where are all the red supporters now who have been so righteous in defending the good deeds of the "reds" and their supposed fight for democracy. I would suggest that they are re-named "Red Back Spiders" as it fits well their mode of operation.

250px-Redback_back_view.jpg

If you truly believe this then you simply have not looked hard enough at the evidence. Just moments ago a video was posted from 4 days ago, where a foreigner who sided with the red shirts claimed that he would burn Central World to the ground. 4 days beforehand. I will agree with you that these incidents of arson were well planned, but that the red shirts are responsible there is more than enough evidence of. They are the ones seen throwing rubber tires and gas canisters into the flames. They are the ones seen cheering while others run in fear.

What evidence? Forensic evidence? I understand your point, yet I feel that I have grown well beyond the point where I believe what I see through a camera lens. I still truly believe that all is not what it seems. People running and people dancing can be doctored up in a movie clip to seem any way one might want it to seem.

That the red shirts are responsible is, again, a view that I refuse to believe in. Participants? Yes! But does anyone truly know each and every individual involved in each and every incident, and what their personal intentions and beliefs are? I doubt it. Grouping together sound bites and movie clips and adding emotion with snazzy sounding music is the type of cr@p that Focksnooze uses on the minds of the degenerate.

I think that reporting needs to be examined for the choice of words that are used to describe an incident; much less one that is truly worth bringing to our attention. To be objective was the way I was taught that reporting should be. Too often I ask myself what prompted the reporter to use a definitive word instead of a more objective word. Too often it becomes clear to me that the IQ of today's younger generation is being dumbed-down to the lowest common denominator and it is demonstrated by their inability to reason and infer. One almost wonders if these wannabe reporters and camera people are shooting for the Pulitzer Prize with each story that they choose to bring to your and my attention.

The news today is like Chinese food. You can fill you stomach/mind with loads and loads of it, but in 15 minutes you will be hungry again and want more. But then that sort of stuff is for people who do not like meat and potatoes. Just my view is all'.

Edited by cup-O-coffee

People running and people dancing can be doctored up in a movie clip to seem any way one might want it to seem.

Images - yes, video clips - not really, and certainly not with the level of technology that's being used. Of course that's not to say video clips can't and haven't been doctored, but those that have are obvious for what they are.

That the red shirts are responsible is, again, a view that I refuse to believe in.

Just to be clear, are you saying the reds shouldn't be held responsible for their actions, or are you saying that they are not responsible people - ie irresponsible?

If you truly believe this then you simply have not looked hard enough at the evidence. Just moments ago a video was posted from 4 days ago, where a foreigner who sided with the red shirts claimed that he would burn Central World to the ground. 4 days beforehand. I will agree with you that these incidents of arson were well planned, but that the red shirts are responsible there is more than enough evidence of. They are the ones seen throwing rubber tires and gas canisters into the flames. They are the ones seen cheering while others run in fear.

What evidence? Forensic evidence? I understand your point, yet I feel that I have grown well beyond the point where I believe what I see through a camera lens. I still truly believe that all is not what it seems. People running and people dancing can be doctored up in a movie clip to seem any way one might want it to seem.

That the red shirts are responsible is, again, a view that I refuse to believe in. Participants? Yes! But does anyone truly know each and every individual involved in each and every incident, and what their personal intentions and beliefs are? I doubt it. Grouping together sound bites and movie clips and adding emotion with snazzy sounding music is the type of cr@p that Focksnooze uses on the minds of the degenerate.

I think that reporting needs to be examined for the choice of words that are used to describe an incident; much less one that is truly worth bringing to our attention. To be objective was the way I was taught that reporting should be. Too often I ask myself what prompted the reporter to use a definitive word instead of a more objective word. Too often it becomes clear to me that the IQ of today's younger generation is being dumbed-down to the lowest common denominator and it is demonstrated by their inability to reason and infer. One almost wonders if these wannabe reporters and camera people are shooting for the Pulitzer Prize with each story that they choose to bring to your and my attention.

The news today is like Chinese food. You can fill you stomach/mind with loads and loads of it, but in 15 minutes you will be hungry again and want more. But then that sort of stuff is for people who do not like meat and potatoes. Just my view is all'.

Well, it seems they have already caught over 100 of them red handed :)

The evidence I speak of is of course, Youtube videos. I'm not condemning anyone, but I seriously hope that all is done by the government to make this city fully functional and safe again. Is that not what all of us want, after all? I certainly agree with you that media is being filmed to sensationalize and to fit a specific market segment. I was, quite honestly, shocked by the extremely biased reporting shown by BBC or CNN. I never once considered myself part of any faction, I merely found myself sympathetic to people and their blights. When I see someone on youtube talking about how he's going to 'burn the fuc_ker down' it makes my blood boil and my emotions flare. I apologize if my comments caused anyone harm, but this guy doesn't even live in Bangkok. Those of us who do have to rebuild our homes and lives while people like him and the others go upcountry and get a hero's welcome in their nice, intact little neighborhoods.

I think best thing to do now is to take a deep breath and stay focused on how to proceed. Let the police and special investigations unit do their jobs and find out what happened. Let all the evidence be gathered and officially presented. At this point all we have is shaky phone camera footage and I do believe that much of it can be taken out of context.

Edited by dttk0009

Where are all the red supporters now who have been so righteous in defending the good deeds of the "reds" and their supposed fight for democracy. I would suggest that they are re-named "Red Back Spiders" as it fits well their mode of operation.

Amazingly, they are still around, spewing more ridiculous excuses for the goons hired by Thaksin and inspired from the red stage.

Arson, looting, attempted murder of firemen, none of it is disgusting enough for them to condemn. :)

A Bangkok resident on Thursday inspects damage left from fires started while troops cleared protesters from a camp in the city's financial center.

Thai Capital Glimpses Calm

Bangkok Begins Recovery From Latest Protests, but Political Strife Still Smolders

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142405..._MIDDLENewsIntl

LaoPo

Covards. Proves they are terrorist.

Used to symphatize with the red movements but all that is now gone.

I sincerely hope that all foreigners and thais take all this in consideration and do NOT vote for the reds in next election. That would be a clear signal.

Next election! When?

A timely election is precisely what would have prevented this.

November not timely enough?

Or maybe just do what huge majority of Thailand want and call an immediate election .... oh ... just a sec ... 100,000 isn't a huge majority is it? Certainly the 10,000 they had towards the end, and 3,000 on the last day, wasn't really the sort of majority you would consider following their demands for, would it.

When I said timely I was actually thinking in the past tense. When 3 parties were dissolved early last year, a significant proportion of voters in the previous election no longer had a representative in the parliament. That was the proper time to dissolve parliament and let the people speak again.

If that had occurred then this would not be happening now.

To answer your question, no November was certainly not timely enough.