Thai Court Approves Arrest Warrant Against Thaksin On Terrorism Charge

webfact

Updated: Ji Ungpakorn on anger

The Anger of the People is Justified

Giles Ji Ungpakorn

The anger of the ordinary people has finally erupted into violence with numerous buildings being set of fire in Bangkok and the provinces. People are also trying to use any means to fight the army. There are reports that Government buildings, banks, the stock-exchange, luxury shopping malls and pro-military media are all being set on fire.

All this is totally justified.. why?

Because:

1. The Government and the army have repeatedly used armed soldiers, assassination squads, snipers and tanks to kill unarmed pro-democracy demonstrators since April. The death toll will easily reach 80 with thousands injured.

2. This state-sponsored violence against civilians was carried out in order that Abhisit's military-backed Government could stay in power and avoid elections for as long as possible. It was never elected in the first place. The Government is a product of military and judicial coups since 2006.

3. The Red Shirts have repeatedly offered talks and compromises, yet the Government has answered with bullets.

4. In a Democracy, the people should be the ultimate decision-makers, not the military, the elites and the Palace. Any demand for democratic elections is totally justified, even if it disrupts shopping centres and luxury hotels.

5. Mealy-mouthed so called non-violent groups could never bring themselves to put the blame entirely on the shoulders of the Government, the military and Royalist elites, despite the fact that the violence was from the army. They never put their weight behind the huge struggle of the UDD leadership to try to maintain a peaceful and disciplined protest. This is because these organisations supported the coup in 2006 in the first place. They allowed the Government to claim that there would be no peace until the protests stopped.

Yet now that the official protest has been drowned in blood and stopped, there will not be peace because there is no justice.

Anyone who intends to report on here in such a journalistic fashion should remember that journalists are supposed to remain unbiased.

If I could be bothered to respond to each of your points separately, it would become clear that you choose to ignore all of the acts of violence, terrorism, looting (and in one case, summary execution) perpetrated by the 'Red Army' that everyone else on this forum has seen and commented on over the past several weeks.

However, I know that any time spent on constructing such a response would be totally wasted on you.

I only hope that the Prime Minister - whether you like him or not - survives this mess and is allowed to try to rebuild peace throughout the nation. I also hope that your messiah, KhunT, gets his just desserts!

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

start taking the properties as well, give them nowhere to stay, get em back here and make sure the world sees them for what they really are.

Knowing the Thai system, they will get bail and disappear like always, this time no bail, start getting confirmation beyond reasonable doubt that they were the ring leaders and associates, use those in custody and interrogate them till they spill the

beans, these <deleted> have ruined everything for the people they wanted to help, namely the poor and the farmers up North, whose products will not be required in Bangkok at shopping malls, cause they will be being rebuilt.

HAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAA this is obviously the joke of the month?

"these <deleted> have ruined everything for the people they wanted to help, namely the poor and the farmers up North, whose products will not be required in Bangkok at shopping malls,"

Do you see a lot of things on sale at Paragon and Central from the "poor and the farmers up North"................Jesus!

You would do better to wake up and see who is really doing what to the "poor farmers" - in Chiang Mai, the rice farmers were getting between 14-17 Baht a kilo for their rice harvest, (and there is still a world shortage of food) the middlemen i.e. the wealthy, are the only people allowed to sell rice outside of Thailand, the "poor "farmer is not allowed to sell his own rice to anyone outside of the country.

Since the protests took hold, the "Poor"rice farmers in the North are being given 6 BAHT/Kilo!!! now tell me that this is justice! Not content with making money off the backs of these poor people, not content with making a bit from doing nothing, they want to destroy them! The greed by these people is unbelievable.

Edited by Bastle

Are all of you commenting completely clueless? You think any of your calls for "justice" etc are ever in a million years going to happen here? "Bring Thaksin to justice!" Man, you guys live in this country for years and yet know NOTHING!

I'm so grateful we have someone like you that knows EVERYTHING. So, please enlighten us...but please keep it civil (i undertsnd that's hard you..........nearly forgot my manners!) Seriously, give us a concise rundown of what you know.....

I don't know what he knows but I'll tell you what I know, No First World Country will extradite anyone unless

You are absolutely right. Didn't the Thai govt issue an arrest warrant for him already? He will continue to live free in the West, for all the reasons that you stated. The ones calling for his head will just have to live with this fact.

• They agree with the charges
  • They agree that the sentence would not be greater than it would in the Country extraditing
  • That the Person would get a fair trial
  • And most important, that the Country the are extraditing to has a good Human rights record, with regards to prison conditions

On the 4th issue no First World country will extradite ANYBODY to Thailand as the prisons do not meet Human rights conditions

Regardless of what some of you think we are not all revengeful animals

You are absolutely right on the 4th issue. Didn't the Thai govt issue an arrest warrant for him in the past? Where did that lead to? The people here on Thai Visa that are calling for his head with just have to live with the fact that he is not going to be arrested and sent to Thailand.

Are all of you commenting completely clueless? You think any of your calls for "justice" etc are ever in a million years going to happen here? "Bring Thaksin to justice!" Man, you guys live in this country for years and yet know NOTHING!

I'm so grateful we have someone like you that knows EVERYTHING. So, please enlighten us...but please keep it civil (i undertsnd that's hard you..........nearly forgot my manners!) Seriously, give us a concise rundown of what you know.....

I don't know what he knows but I'll tell you what I know, No First World Country will extradite anyone unless

You are absolutely right. Didn't the Thai govt issue an arrest warrant for him already? He will continue to live free in the West, for all the reasons that you stated. The ones calling for his head will just have to live with this fact.

• They agree with the charges
  • They agree that the sentence would not be greater than it would in the Country extraditing
  • That the Person would get a fair trial
  • And most important, that the Country the are extraditing to has a good Human rights record, with regards to prison conditions

On the 4th issue no First World country will extradite ANYBODY to Thailand as the prisons do not meet Human rights conditions

Regardless of what some of you think we are not all revengeful animals

Thaksin would die before he got any where near a court room...... Many many high ranking Police Officers and Military Officers have been taking his money for a long time... He would name them all..... Why do you think Sa Daeng was sniped at Lumpini, he was threatening to expose these two faced, corrupt officers and we could not have that .. could we..? And why do you think this protest ran so long... all about keeping the bribes rolling in.... Amazing Thailand.... Ah... no safety helmet... 100baht sir...thank you..! Back to normal now Thank God...

The Will of the People was/is to have a vote. For this, they were killed and arrested.

Thailand's Tienanmen Square.

Correction -

The Will of the People was/is to "SELL" a vote to the highest bidder. :)

Giles Ji Ungpakorn just went on my ignore list.

Along with about 10 others now.

=============

Thousands of jobs went up in flames last night and today, & not just in Bangkok,

How are these folk suppose to support themselves & their families???

There is no Dole in Thailand or welfare.

If you are a foreigner, watch your back from now on.

Thailand will never be the same again after yesterday.

Thank you to all the redshit supporters on this forum & elsewhere. :)

On a BBC interview with Mr Korn, last night, she tried desperately to have it portrayed the government crackdown was really bad but Korn was far too clever for her. In the end she asked if he believed Mr T was the cause of all the problems. Without hesitation he replied "absolutely".

Seems strange entities like BBC like to portray the Thai govt in a bad light without truly evaluating both sides of the story.

There was also an interview with the Thai Ambassador in America on the BBC las night. When asked if he thought Thaksin was behind all the trouble he replied:

If you ask 100 Thai persons right now whether he (Thaksin) is behind all this, then 200 persons will said yes

:)

Source:

World News Today (BBC iPlayer)

Now we're talking. Contrary to corruption charges, a lot of countries have the legal framework to arrest and extradite people wanted on terrorism charges. Thaksin can at least say bye bye to any first-world country for the foreseeable future - and maybe with a bit of luck see the inside of a jail cell very soon.

how can an illegal government be taken serious of charging anyone with any law breaking ..big joke!!! where the judges themselves are corrupt ...appearing white from outside like white sepulcres but inside they are full of deadman bones...

Partially agree, but they are the best of a bad bunch.

Have you got a better bunch? :)

This government is the worst I have ever seen.. and some of the people here..may have studied for quite sometimes.. become the second class or higher who claims they knows what is the meaning of "democracy".. Thailand has become the biggest joke in international for attacking and hurting those unarmed people.. Those "educated" person thought they can rule the country with their limited knowledge without providing the real care to the people.. definitely will get revenge one day.

From the beginning, the red-shirt gangs is only looking for Election but not a War. Any smart politician should know how to solve the problem UNLESS they worry their power are being stolen after election..

What a mess

It has been noted that quite a few posters that have joined recently make an inordinate number of posts, and seem to be severely impaired in their observational, reading and deduction skills, or, as seems more likely, are receiving some financial incentive from persons unknown, to submit posts with contentious views, blatant mis-statements represented as facts, and huge over-estimates of public support.

Fortunately, this forum provides us with an ignore function to save the aggravation of reading said posts. You can safely assume that that was the last of yours to be perused by yours truly.

The only terrorists that deserve prosecution are those in Thailand's mock government and uniforms. There has been no violence other than that which was committed by the state or provoked by criminal actions of the state. The sum total of violence, vandalism and arson committed by Thailands oppressed victims is far less than would be reasonable in light of the atrocities committed against the common people. I will be looking hard and long at all future purchases to ensure that nothing enters my home that is exported by this criminal state.In addition I will express absolute and utter contempt for any tourist that visits Thailand.I will also express very vocal contempt for any fool stupid enough to invest in the Fascist Regime of Thailand.

Wow you obviously are someone who has spent a lot of time and money in Thailand, we will not miss you.

The only terrorists that deserve prosecution are those in Thailand's mock government and uniforms. There has been no violence other than that which was committed by the state or provoked by criminal actions of the state. The sum total of violence, vandalism and arson committed by Thailands oppressed victims is far less than would be reasonable in light of the atrocities committed against the common people. I will be looking hard and long at all future purchases to ensure that nothing enters my home that is exported by this criminal state.In addition I will express absolute and utter contempt for any tourist that visits Thailand.I will also express very vocal contempt for any fool stupid enough to invest in the Fascist Regime of Thailand.

Adolf Hitler, Pol Pot, Stalin would be happy to having an AH like you in their government, but as I have seen through my years, with Idiots there is no way to find common ground. I would like to see how many deaths would there be if that would have happen in your country. The government did a good Job and has shown much restrain and patience with the Red Garbage.

Giles Ji Ungpakorn just went on my ignore list.

Along with about 10 others now.

=============

Thousands of jobs went up in flames last night and today, & not just in Bangkok,

How are these folk suppose to support themselves & their families???

There is no Dole in Thailand or welfare.

If you are a foreigner, watch your back from now on.

Thailand will never be the same again after yesterday.

Thank you to all the redshit supporters on this forum & elsewhere. :)

"Giles Ji Ungpakorn just went on my ignore list.

Along with about 10 others now."

Boy I bet they are really pissed!

How very sad that most of the people participating in this thread actually believe all the propaganda. This is not about Thaksin. Yes, he is a figurehead because at the beginning of this fight he was the only one who stood forward and had money to support a movement. But it has become much bigger than Thaksin - but the government (and this is where you people are so stupid) is still using him because they want to tarnish him. The government knows how popular he is in the north and Isaan and want to diminish his power.

This is about democracy and equal rights. Not Thaksin. You stupid stupid people.

About time i have read someone who understands the reason of why the Red Shirts set up there camp and protest . And then get called Terrorists for fighting for Democracy . After all the deaths that have happened most postings here are just after some more blood and seem to agree with snipers sitting on roofs and popping off human beings, journalists being shot. This whole thing is not about Thaksin its about Democracy and the rights of the majority of the population who elected a government twice and twice had there decision taken away from them ! The vast void between the haves and the have nots . I would like these people posting to put some more facts behind there statements instead of just ranting like gossiping old ladies at the corner shop !

Meanwhile, the Department of Special Investigation on Wednesday requested Criminal Court permission to issue arrest warrants for fugitive prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and nine others for alleged act of terrorism, according to DSI director-general Tharit Pengdit.

The court at first approved the request but later withheld the arrest warrant for Thaksin, asking for more time for consideration, Tharit said.

-- The Nation 2010-05-20

And how about this quote in the news only topic from today?

Kinda makes you do a double take dosn't it. ?

Now I wonder why a court with all that experience makes a ruling and then not a few hours later changes its mind for now. If it was unsure then why agree in the first place and let the story out before being certain ?. Talk about ridiculous, this is exactly the kind of thing I've been talking about. You have to clearly show that the law works first and foremost. You cant go around approving warrants then say oops hang on maybe not We'll get back to you. If this country dosnt wake up no one is going to take any authority seriously at all, it was bad enough with what happened at the airport and no one being brought to justice therefore sending a clear message it was fine to hold demonstrations of that level, weve just seen the result. Now the courts are dithering about issuing a warrant for Toxin yet uphold the others, for gods sake I dont really care one way or the other about Toxin but at least be consistent and not so damned obvious about the corruption.

More and more these guys that are supposed to be pillars of Thai society are showing the whole world that with all their money and degrees they cant even run their justice system properly let alone a country.

Edited by englishoak

It has been reported that Thaksin said the crackdown could give rise to guerrilla warfare: "There is a theory saying a military crackdown can spread resentment and these resentful people will become guerrillas."

This is in fact a declaration of what he is planning to do next.

His assets and those of his cohorts need to be located and frozen ASAP (and, hopefully, ultimately confiscated).

Then, he and his cohorts need to be located and brought to justice (and, hopefully, receive the maximum punishment under applicable laws).

Please don't call me Judge, I leave that to those that have obtained perfection, I really don't have enough arrogance to judge others as I am not yet perfect myself.

Those are the rules applied by First World countries, Might Just be that some such as USA Canada, choose a different line but I prostrate before your greater knowledge. Maybe you are indeed a judge

:)

When you make a statement as fact, then somebody gives an example that proves you wrong, perhaps it is better to have a little humility and admit that you were mistaken. Insulting other posters and disparaging their countries does nothing for your credibility.

You seem to have based your original assertion on the British legal system. As Thaksin has been refused a visa to enter the UK, that seems to be irrelevant. The new charges of terrorism may well be sufficient for many countries to refuse a visa, thus saving themselves from involvement in a drawn out extradition proceeding.

Edited by OzMick

Angry people, keep calm

Now imagine a nation of angry people - with a symbol (the burning mall) and a target. Thaksin is finished.

He was paying 500 bt/dy. a nice deal for someone who normally gets 200.

anyone believe in KARMA?

the debreefing,and assesment of how all this was allowed will be interesting. The people who lost the most are the people who are potential employers of the protesters. who,Like the Natzis, upon defeat,( protesters) shed their uniforms, however the " coconut telegraph " will identify them,and the employers will administer ( through work access,and payscale ) a vote.

lots of bugs scattered when the lights went on. This will take some time.

I agree, Mr T will have no industrialized nation give him a visa. He is finished. ...............................Look for him to try to settle in Fiji.

prayers to H.M. and family.

Thanks for that link davidcc.

Thai power grows from the barrel of a gun

By William Barnes

Quote:

Fog of war

The government has said it aims to separate ''terrorists'' from the ordinary protesters, while some red shirts have thanked the anonymous black-clad assailants for coming to their defense against state security forces. Therdpoum, a former member of parliament under Thaksin's original Thai Rak Thai party, says there has been obfuscation and propaganda on both sides of the conflict.

"The people who are the real planners, not the people up on stage making protest speeches, these people probably keep a very low profile, but they must calculate that aggression is vital," he said. "Aggression paralyses and divides opponents. This is what we were taught, this is how a smaller force can defeat overwhelming power. The message was: divide and conquer."

Whether the UDD's shadowy armed wing consists of mafia thugs, unemployed irregulars or disaffected regular soldiers, they must be capable of ruthless and focused violence, he said.

Therdpoum, born in humble circumstances in northeastern Thailand, was a hotel union organizer who fled to the communist underground in 1975 to oppose a brutal right wing government. Many hundreds of the country's most energetic students and intellectuals did the same. Most, like Therdpoum, later renounced the ideology.

His five-year odyssey with the Communist Party of Thailand (CPT) included a three-month period in Hanoi in the heady period following the unification of Vietnam under communist rule. There, Therdpoum and a handful of hand-picked Thai activists, like prominent student leader Seksan Prasertkun, as well as current UDD leaders Weng Tochirakan and Jaran Dittapichai, were drilled in Maoist revolutionary theory.

The five tactics they learned for unseating a government included: divide your enemies; form a united front; use provocative violence; secure the loyalty of people inside the ruling regime; and, finally, win over the army.

"That is what we have seen. The government people have been quarrelling about what to do. Some senior figures have a divided loyalty. The army and the police cannot move. Provocative violence has been very successful," said Therdpoum, referring to the UDD's campaign to topple Abhisit's government.

"The tactic is to keep saying that you are a peace-loving people. The many factions folded into the united front [uDD] organization are not told what the real strategy is because they might not agree and they might not act their part convincingly," he added.

A generation ago, the eager young communists in Thailand's underground movement, many of whom now play major roles on Thailand's political stage, were told that propaganda should be blunt, simple and repeated incessantly to be effective. The UDD has similarly shunned hard policy debates in favor of simple credos of justice denied and the hypocrisy of elites.

"The red shirt people have been told over and over that greedy people in authority have denied them justice and their fair share. They have been pumped full of toy-town leftism and told to hate every institution that has held this country together. I worry that the bitterness and hatred produced by this propaganda now runs so deep it will cause tension and problems for a long time," Therdpoum said.

"Many of them are now absolutely convinced that Thaksin was the best leader in Thai history, that he was a kind and generous man who holds the solution to all their problems. They don't need a program - they just need a new Thai state with Thaksin in charge. It has become very emotional - as it was designed to be," he added.

More here

Edited by GungaDin

Terrorism charges will do wonders for national reconciliation. :)

The crackdown did wonders, didn't it? Things have really improved since. :D

I'm still firm on my belief that keeping the protesters at Rajprasong while keeping the negotiations going would have been a lot better for Thailand. Before it was just Rajprasong. Now it's still Rajprasong AND the entire country on top.

Just wondering why the Democrat senators that went to negotiate last night weren't given a chance. After all they had agreed on tri-party (government, senators & red shirts) negotiations in the morning.

Both of you are whistling into a wind. The crackdown has done wonders, and it will do wonders for national reconciliation. It revealed the red movement for what it was, a mob of heavily armed thugs hiding behind the skirts of "peaceful protesters" duped into believing their democratic rights had been stolen.

My g/f WAS an ardent red supporter. She refused to discuss why, at least with me, and I got the usual "farang don't understand." Yesterday she watched the proceedings with a look on her face like she had just been fed a sh-it sandwich. Absolutely disgusted. Do you think she is the only thai voter that feels like that?

Then the reds had the smart idea to take the fight to the sticks. Their local supporters got to see their true colours. Do you think burning a fire engine is going to gain support in Chiang Mai? Do you think burning the local govt offices is going to be appreciated by the hundreds of people who have business there every day?

When a valid case is laid out linking thaksin's money to the rabble rousers, his name will stink. I'm not sure which of the red leaders was found to have deposited B100,000,000 baht recently, and I hope they all turn out to have similar amounts, because their poor supporters will realise that they been sold down the river for 30 pieces of silver.

Both of you are whistling into a wind. The crackdown has done wonders, and it will do wonders for national reconciliation. It revealed the red movement for what it was, a mob of heavily armed thugs hiding behind the skirts of "peaceful protesters" duped into believing their democratic rights had been stolen.

My g/f WAS an ardent red supporter. She refused to discuss why, at least with me, and I got the usual "farang don't understand." Yesterday she watched the proceedings with a look on her face like she had just been fed a sh-it sandwich. Absolutely disgusted. Do you think she is the only thai voter that feels like that?

Then the reds had the smart idea to take the fight to the sticks. Their local supporters got to see their true colours. Do you think burning a fire engine is going to gain support in Chiang Mai? Do you think burning the local govt offices is going to be appreciated by the hundreds of people who have business there every day?

When a valid case is laid out linking thaksin's money to the rabble rousers, his name will stink. I'm not sure which of the red leaders was found to have deposited B100,000,000 baht recently, and I hope they all turn out to have similar amounts, because their poor supporters will realise that they been sold down the river for 30 pieces of silver.

Wow well put and accurate, thanks for posting.

Now we're talking. Contrary to corruption charges, a lot of countries have the legal framework to arrest and extradite people wanted on terrorism charges. Thaksin can at least say bye bye to any first-world country for the foreseeable future - and maybe with a bit of luck see the inside of a jail cell very soon.

Yes my Friend, many Countries do have terrorist extradition frameworks for terrorists, however I think the flaw in your enthusiasm is Montenegro, which seems to welcome anyone, including the criminal element, providing they can spend some of their filthy lucre - guess what? Takkie is a full blown citizen of Montenegro and has lots of ill gotten gains to spend there. No doubt if the rest of these alleged terrorists are granted bail, the Thai population of Montenegro will increase accordingly? :)

The rank and file reds (NOT the paid protesters and worse, the mercenaries on the red payroll in BKK) have legitimate complaints ...... but the show in BKK was about one thing and one thing only. Thaksin

- Do you really believe people are preapred to die, suffer injuires, cause mass destruction just because of one man? Surely, it's about something much more than that.

Nope --- it is about Thaksin ... AND money. I can only assume that you NEVER listened to the hate speech and violence from the rally. That you NEVER watched People TV or (it makes me gag saying it) Truth Today.

I have actually and while he is talked about a lot, this is NOT all about fighting for Taksin. If you think that it is then you are an idiot.

The crackdown has done wonders, and it will do wonders for national reconciliation. It revealed the red movement for what it was, a mob of heavily armed thugs hiding behind the skirts of "peaceful protesters" duped into believing their democratic rights had been stolen.

Putting down the mob will strengthen democracy in Thailand. Now we know you can't change the government through violence and intimidation. You need to go and vote.

How very sad that most of the people participating in this thread actually believe all the propaganda. This is not about Thaksin. Yes, he is a figurehead because at the beginning of this fight he was the only one who stood forward and had money to support a movement. But it has become much bigger than Thaksin - but the government (and this is where you people are so stupid) is still using him because they want to tarnish him. The government knows how popular he is in the north and Isaan and want to diminish his power.

This is about democracy and equal rights. Not Thaksin. You stupid stupid people.

I agree. Great post. Pity you had to spoil it with the last sentence. :)

Your moniker is a complete misnomer. You are no visionary. Where have you been over the last several weeks? Watching PTV in Esan no doubt. What you have written is so far form the truth that it is utter garbage. Get the facts. Read the newspapers (not all of which are objective, by the way, but no matter) watch all the usual TV channels and you will see that black shirts, armed and trained by Khattiya, have shot and maimed, not only innocent civilians, but even their own people in order to create enough casualties to cause the government to fall. This was recorded by a Thai TV station who was filming the action on 10 April when a red shirt screamed to someone behind the cameraman, "Why are you shooting your own people?" The response was "Shut up or you will get it too." This is fact, recorded on film, live!!! So open your eyes and then you may be able to use your moniker.