Thailand’s World Trade Center (central World) Destroyed

travellife

Thank god pattunam is ok. Thats the real deal for all of Thailand, sod the hiso super malls. One less in the world? bloody marvelous!

I am sure you at least enjoyed the free air condition and food court or was that also too expensive?

Edited by TheItaliann

If they'd burnt Gaysorn it would have been more symbolic and inconvenienced less people.

True. Gaysorn very hi-so...Central World...mid-market. I'm sure Thaksin is happy Gaysorn and its L-V botique was spared (a courtesey to their leader I suppose) ...will save him trips to Paris for shopping when he returns :)

Somebody really high-up in the food chain owns the land on which Central World was build. Not sure if they also own the land on which Gaysorn stands.

got this message from a friend, conspiracy theory perhaps but interesting:

Translation from Thai:

Coincidental or not?

WTC=world trade center swtich it around CTW=central world!!!

19/5/2535 (day/moth/Year-BE)=Black May, 19/5/2553 Yesterday!!! (notice the dates)

2533 World Trade Center (Central world's original name) first built, 19/5/2553 Central World on Fire!!

Coincidence???

Why would it impact Thai society? Only hi-so folk shop there and a good portion of Thai society could not afford to shop there. It is the burning of an ultra large shop house. Many others to go to.

hundreds of restaurants with food supplied by red shirt farmers

countless workers out of a job, no more money send to red shirt family

countless taxi drivers out of a job, no more money send to red shirt family

countless delivery truck drivers out of a job, no more money send to red shirt family

need i go on. Its stupid thinking like yours that gets these poor people in trouble, they don't see the big picture. Before they were getting screwed a few baht on their rice, now they wont sell any. They might have to rethink, and learn just basic economics. Everybody is connected to their rice bowl in some manner

Ahhh, feel better now, LostinLos? No, it is stupid actions by stupid people that burnt their rice bowls, not me. Maybe you are connected? Learn basic economics, like what? Raise prices at hotels due to low occupancy? Na, they will never get it.

But this was not a facility for everyone. Just down the street there were hundreds of street vendors, whom this facility was not built for.

The burning of CentralWorld seems to be an indication of the struggle between the haves and the have-nots. This current conflict may be resolved, but such conflicts will not disappear. Is this the beginning of an uprising that may disappear for several years and reappear even stronger in the future?

I think you would be surprised at how many of the street vendors you call have-nots may have been customers at CW. Sure, the very high end shops, the presence of which seems to have blinded to you the many other more affordable stores the existed there and were patronized by all walks of life, they would not be much more then browsers.

I know you guys really, really want this to be some sort of symbolic gesture in a vain attempt to justify it. The reality remains it was an act of senseless vandalism by hooligans and thugs that were let loose when the faint reins of discipline that had keep them in somewhat check were cut as the leaders fled to safety of jail.

TH

It would seem that the CentralWorld building was engulfed in flames for several hours because fire fighters could not get near it due to sniper bullets etc. Apparently they could only move in at night. Since the building burnt uncontrollably for far too long, it is completely plausible that CentralWorld is now on the verge of collapse.

Any word on whether they caught the Abhisit government official who ordered the water shut off in the Rajaprasong area? A first-class fire suppression sprinkler system was rendered useless by an imbecile who knew there was a high probability of fire during the government crackdown.

Any word on whether they caught the Abhisit government official who ordered the water shut off in the Rajaprasong area? A first-class fire suppression sprinkler system was rendered useless by an imbecile who knew there was a high probability of fire during the government crackdown.

That was the right thing to do.

The mistake was not switching it back on again in time. But then the raid had to happen quickly with minimal warning.

Has the office building above/behind Central World collapsed too?

Sorry if it's a dumb question, I can't remember if it was actually above or just linked into the shopping centre?

SOkal,

If you used google for just 5 minutes before posting you could avoid sounding a bit silly...

Can you seriously not figure out how high temperatures would change the structural safety of builings made from steel/iron reinforced concrete?

I'm no scientist but I would question the safety of a very tall building that is filled with the general public that has been subjected to extreme heat. Maybe I am just an overcautious ninny. But I think most civil engineers would back me on this one. Insurance underwriters too... :)

Do you consider some out of control garbage can fire extreme heat ? I am not saying you are wrong but lets see you make a campfire out of concrete, steel and glass.

fire and extreme heat is what brought down the World trade centre towers, not the impact of the airplanes.

SOkal,

If you used google for just 5 minutes before posting you could avoid sounding a bit silly...

Can you seriously not figure out how high temperatures would change the structural safety of builings made from steel/iron reinforced concrete?

I'm no scientist but I would question the safety of a very tall building that is filled with the general public that has been subjected to extreme heat. Maybe I am just an overcautious ninny. But I think most civil engineers would back me on this one. Insurance underwriters too... :)

Do you consider some out of control garbage can fire extreme heat ? I am not saying you are wrong but lets see you make a campfire out of concrete, steel and glass.

fire and extreme heat is what brought down the World trade centre towers, not the impact of the airplanes.

Looks like I have to boycott Bangkok for awhile...at least until Central World gets rebuilt...

Thailand’s World Trade Center (central World) Destroyed, How will this impact Thai society?

What impact?

It's just like this thread...destruction could well mean the construction of something much better (& more interesting).

This is simply more waffle about this monotonous situation. Why the waffle? I have no idea!!!

Dunno rumors going around that 3rd parties might have used the riots as an opportune cover to torch a few places.

Anyways poor planning - you'd think the water would have been turned back on if you were going to actually do the crack down. However wouldnt surprise me even if the water was on that it would actually work. We all know how well building safety and fire codes are not followed in thailand.

Regardless pointless endeavour to destroy infrastructure for whatever reason one might have.