What Is Open Today?

nokia

Those closed you are talking about are only for Bangkok nothing has been said about Chiang Mai. Go out and see. I'm going o immigration later, will post.

It was a BOT (central bank) announcement that it is nation wide. From the SCB website:

" Please be advised that all SCB

branches nationwide will be

closed for business on May 20-21,

2010."

Bangkok Bank: "» Bangkok Bank will suspend service temporarily on May 20-21, 2010 in accordance with the notification from the Bank of Thailand"

TMB Bank - "For the safety of our valued customers and our staff during this difficult time, TMB will close all of its branches nationwide on Thursday May 20 and Friday May 21, 2010."

With a curfew, I think I'm going to have a very hard time spending money. Got a couple thousand baht, and at this rate this will last me a month. :)

As I said a dozen times already, there is no curfew in Chiang Mai.

Certain emergency laws have been put into place, but not a full blown curfew.

This has been confirmed to us by the police and also annouced on the Thai TV channels.

Those closed you are talking about are only for Bangkok nothing has been said about Chiang Mai. Go out and see. I'm going o immigration later, will post.

I was in Chiang Mai 10 am no banks open but atms working

With a curfew, I think I'm going to have a very hard time spending money. Got a couple thousand baht, and at this rate this will last me a month. :)

This has been confirmed to us by the police and also annouced on the Thai TV channels.

Point is that bars and restaurants are closed at night, no matter what you call it.

There are a lot of sources that dispute this including directives from CRES, the radio and the TV. Who to believe? unsure.gif

There are a lot of sources that dispute this including directives from CRES, the radio and the TV. Who to believe? unsure.gif

One way to find out is to go walk about in Chiang Mai city after 8.00pm and see if anyone tries to shoot you or not.

Otherwise, my money`s on the official Thai Government statements made on Thai TV and the police information given to us at two Chiang Mai police stations.

My local Post-Office in Mae-Jo was still open this morning.

However the Banks were all closed, for today and tomorrow, according to the signs on their doors. The 3rd ATM I tried, still had money in it, but it does make sense to keep a little more in cash, if possible. Just in case.

I would suggest not continuing pushing that as it is against forum rules:

15) Not to use ThaiVisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, inaccurate

The CRES has announced it, dozens of media announced it. This is one of dozens of reports both National and International.

"On 19 May, the Thai Government announced a curfew, from 20:00 on 19 May to 06:00 on 20 May in the city of Bangkok and in the following 23 other provinces where a State of Emergency is in place: Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani, Nakhon Pathom, Ayutthaya, Chon Buri, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Lampang, Nakhon Sawan, Nan, Khon Kaen, Udon Thani, Chaiyaphum, Nakhom Ratchasima, Si Saket, Ubon Ratchathani, Nong Bua Lumphu, Mahasarakham, Roi Et, Sakhon Nakhon, Kalasin, Muk Da Han and Samutprakarn. It is possible that this curfew may be extended for a longer period."

As for emergency laws, they have been in place for some time now including Chiangmai and we didn't see the police informing bars to close their shutters and dim their lights.

BTW, every Thai I've talked to at the university stated implicitly there is a curfew in place. Of course, the enforcement, as often in CM, may be lax.

One way to find out is to go walk about in Chiang Mai city after 8.00pm and see if anyone tries to shoot you or not.

Otherwise, my money`s on the official Thai Government statements made on Thai TV and the police information given to us at two Chiang Mai police stations.

You do that and report back to us.

Good luck!

But seriously, stay home and be safe.

T

Carrefour on the Superhighway is open. I asked my teacher at class today. I guess I could just go there and see since its on the other side of campus but I'm lazy. lol But I'm sure if they are open... they will start closing at 7/8 pm to get people out before curfew.

So go out and get all the stuff you need now before evening.

Anyways dont be an idiot. If there's curfew... stay the hel_l at home. geez.

Thank God for ATMs, otherwise today, i will be looking high & low for loose change in baht around the house.

Carrefour on superhighway was bustling with people during lunchtime. Not sure will it be open tomorrow though.

I think most 7-11s are still open, so its no problem for most people looking for a quick bite.

Cheeers!

Central Airport, Central Kad Suan Kaew, Robinson and Big C are locking down at 12:30 PM today and will not be open tomorrow.

Finally facts

The curfew hours have been changed to 21:00 - 05:00 still in effect just different hours.

They should be open during the day. They just have to close early. I got back from there an hour ago. I was so mad... cause KFC closed really early like before 6 pm :). That was gonna be my dinner. lol

But yeah, all the shops at Carrefour were closed or starting to close by 7pm when I left. Still tons of people buying items though in the store itself.

They should be open during the day. They just have to close early. I got back from there an hour ago. I was so mad... cause KFC closed really early like before 6 pm :). That was gonna be my dinner. lol

But yeah, all the shops at Carrefour were closed or starting to close by 7pm when I left. Still tons of people buying items though in the store itself.

It may be better to buy your takeaway dinner earlier & heat up(microwave) at home, or better still, cook at home.

Hopefully the curfew ends this weekend if nothing major happens in CM or the other provinces.

Cheers!

wtk.

re .... NUMBER ONE BAR WILL BE CLOSED TILL SUNDAY!!

im interested in where you got this information ?

i went down loi kroh yesterday and thought i saw the security man outside but wasnt sure.

today i went back and sure enough half of it is open with about 6 lovely ladies waiting to serve

no one !

i wonder why ?

dave2

post-42592-1274431600_thumb.jpg