Situation Brewing In Hang Dong

chevyinasia

At 1pm today, my wife called to inform me that in the village on the north side of Koolpunt 9, everyone is wearing black shirts, and are gathering near the "official residence". Whose residence, I'm not sure, but that's what the sign says. She must have ridden through less than half an hour prior.

Additionally, she witnessed landscapers and construction workers (whether in Koolpunt 9 or in the next village is unclear) suddenly gather and change into black shirts, and they were soon joined by a group of women on motorbikes, I assume to take them to wherever they're going.

I don't know for sure what's happening but I'm leaving my office now and heading home. I'll try to keep an eye on the situation, as much as I can while keeping my head down.

C

it's been brewing a bloody long time.

perhaps it's just a gathering of the local goths and they're all crowded round a small stereo listening to like, you know, some really miserable music.

Chevy,

Any further news?

I've been through the village and back, the black-shirted gathering seems to have moved on. Neighbors have reported seeing the same people. Some speculated they were gathering to head to Mae Rim.

On the way back to the office, I noticed three or four pickups each with a handful of red shirt and red bandana wearing men in the back.

perhaps it's just a gathering of the local goths and they're all crowded round a small stereo listening to like, you know, some really miserable music.

God, what I wouldn't give to have a decent Goth/EBM/Industrial scene in Chiang Mai! Alas, I doubt landscapers and construction workers would have coordinated a rave in the middle of the day.

You call a bunch of Thais putting black shirts on and then taking woman on their motorcycles "Something Brewing"? hahahaha Omg whats next the gang of people putting thrir bathing suits on at the lake? I would definetly close everything up and lock the doors mate. I mean wow black shirts.......... Now if the men were putting on black SKIRTS I would be worried.

You call a bunch of Thais putting black shirts on and then taking woman on their motorcycles "Something Brewing"? hahahaha Omg whats next the gang of people putting thrir bathing suits on at the lake? I would definetly close everything up and lock the doors mate. I mean wow black shirts.......... Now if the men were putting on black SKIRTS I would be worried.

If it were skirts, I'd definitely be more disturbed.

Your sarcasm aside, look into the context of the present circumstances:

• Miscreants have started causing trouble in Chiang Mai and other provinces, setting fire to and in front of government offices and major businesses. In Chiang Mai, that includes behind the governor's mansion as well as a minor fire in front of Big C Hang Dong.
  • "Blackshirts" have been identified as armed and more than willing to use violence.
  • The gathering was in front of a place with a sign that says "official residence", which implies the home of "someone important"
  • The change of clothes and women pulling up on motorcycles seemed to occur in a planned, synchronized fashion, as if to expeditiously transport everyone involved from point A to point B, wherever that may have been.

Irrespective of your opinion of me or my interpretation of the situation, it was enough to cause several neighbors concern. The group has, however, moved on to wherever they were planning to go, so situation over. I admit I'm glad it turned out to be nothing to do with anything near my house, so I'll take being mocked as a welcome reminder that there has been no trouble close to home, yet.

• Miscreants have started causing trouble in Chiang Mai and other provinces, setting fire to and in front of government offices and major businesses. In Chiang Mai, that includes behind the governor's mansion as well as a minor fire in front of Big C Hang Dong.
  • "Blackshirts" have been identified as armed and more than willing to use violence.
  • The gathering was in front of a place with a sign that says "official residence", which implies the home of "someone important"
  • The change of clothes and women pulling up on motorcycles seemed to occur in a planned, synchronized fashion, as if to expeditiously transport everyone involved from point A to point B, wherever that may have been.

Irrespective of your opinion of me or my interpretation of the situation, it was enough to cause several neighbors concern. The group has, however, moved on to wherever they were planning to go, so situation over. I admit I'm glad it turned out to be nothing to do with anything near my house, so I'll take being mocked as a welcome reminder that there has been no trouble close to home, yet.

It certainly seems to me that it is better to report something suspicious and it be nothing then to ignore something assuming it is nothing. Better to err on the side of caution. The situation described is sufficiently odd to warrant a post.

Thank you for your post. Best for all to stay alert at this dangerous time.

It certainly seems to me that it is better to report something suspicious and it be nothing then to ignore something assuming it is nothing. Better to err on the side of caution. The situation described is sufficiently odd to warrant a post.

Report things that are suspicious to the authorities. Spreading unsubstantiated conjecture and rumour on the internet is irresponsible imo mr 3 posts.

Anyway a group of people going to a funeral is no cause for alarm unless it was my funeral and nobody had informed me.

Report things that are suspicious to the authorities. Spreading unsubstantiated conjecture and rumour on the internet is irresponsible imo mr 3 posts.

Anyway a group of people going to a funeral is no cause for alarm unless it was my funeral and nobody had informed me.

could have been the all blacks fan club (they can get a bit rowdy) or a referees convention and we all know much troble they cause. i think he was right to be alarmed.

I read on another TV news item today that Thaksin's thugs had attempted, or did succeed in damaging the CM home of Newin's father (or father in law; I can't remember which). Could this be the same incident?

Mr Loaded, I usually enjoy your comments but I think this one was under the belt.