Recommendation: Real Estate Lawyer In Pattaya

kap

I bought an off plan property in Pattaya two years ago. it is now a year behind schedule. The contract states that if it is delayed more than six months, the buyer can request his deposit back, plus interest. When I verbally spoke/pressed the director, he said that they would return my money in stages (didn't specifically state the lengh/details), but would not pay any interest.

I'm not naive as my position vis a vis the developer (ie. contract enforcement) and the Thai legal system. Anyway, I'd like to speak to a competant local (Thai) lawyer. By the way, the contract stipulates that the developer will pay reasonable attorney fees in any dispute (assuming I win I guess).

The last point is that the developer has stated that the project is sold out. Therefore, financial resources should have been available to complete it. The story up to now has been that the project has been slow due to financing issues. I told them straight out that this sounds to me like fraud or at best misappropriation of funds. They've thus far refused to provide a response.

Thanks in advance for any helpful responses. Cheers.

P.S. I'm not interested in any responses such as why did you buy in Thailand, off-plan, etc.; if you're unable to provide anything useful, please don't bother with any useless nonsense feedback/responses

Be prepared for a long battle. Ask the guys who are sueing the developer at MyPool Villa. 4 years and going nowhere fast. I understand what you mean about fraud, just doesn't mean the same thing here in Thailand, apparently

btw Ask the guy about Chanotes etc. See if he has them, would be surprised if he does

• 1 month later...

Update: The developer is offering to return my money in equal monthly payments which will therefore take 10 months (if no further delays, in the repayment), but makes no provision for interest (they've now had my money for just over 2 years)

I've countered with an offer to accept payments double what they offered (thus cutting repayment period in half) plus (relatively nominal) interest. Any thoughts on whether I should accept their terms or just bring in an attorney? I understand that going thru legal channels could take about two years (or more). Part of my concern is that if they stop payments part-way thru, I may have a harder time finding a lawyer to help me retrieve the smaller remaining balance (yes, I do realize that getting some funds returned is better than none at all). Lastly, the amount owed me is just under one million and the contract calls for the prevailing party (me, I would imagine/hope) to be refunded for reasonable legal fees.

Seperately, I tried to contact KHun Kovit at Central Law Offices on Pattay Klang, but it appears to be closed or moved elsewhere (the women doing tailoring in the street next door appearded to indicate that). I tried the phone number on the office door, but no luck. Is there a new address and how about a phone number... Any immediate help would be appreciated.

I also tried to call the other rec., Amnat Thiegtham  038 421145 (on Thepprasit Road?), but the person that answered did not seem to speak English. Can anyone provide any current info such as correct contact number and exact address.

If anyone else has a good CURRENT recommendationfor a RE lawyer in Pattaya, please provide full details.

Thanks in advance for any information that can be provided. Cheers.

you don't need a real estate lawyer, you need a rottweiler

reasonable fees is not a phrase in general use in his vocabulary but if you want the job done then he is.........

he is Amnat Thiegtham

038 421145

This name rings a bell. Believe this was stopVt7's group original lawyer in their lawsuit against the City of Pattaya and View Talay. He knows Thai law and spoke the truth under oath. Of course, don't tell that to stopvt7.

reasonable fees is not a phrase in general use in his vocabulary but if you want the job done then he is.........

he is Amnat Thiegtham

038 421145

This name rings a bell. Believe this was stopVt7's group original lawyer in their lawsuit against the City of Pattaya and View Talay. He knows Thai law and spoke the truth under oath. Of course, don't tell that to stopvt7.

Who said lawyers don't earn their money. I feel sorry for poor Amnat having to work with a client like stopvt7. :(

Thanks to all of those who have sent replies!

I ended up going with Sam at Maple-Abacus Consulting Service / Saturday Night Accounting. I'll try and update all of you of the results of my decision. Cheers!

• 6 months later...

I ended up going with Sam at Maple-Abacus Consulting Service / Saturday Night Accounting. I'll try and update all of you of the results of my decision. Cheers!

I now need a new lawyer. Sam has just informed me that after seven months he has still not translated my contract and thus has not filed my lawsuit. I've been back to his office 5-10 times since July looking for updates (and receiving false/misleading ones) and now he has finally come clean. He has apologized and offered to return my paperwork and money (2% of the amount that I was suing for). The incompetence and dishonesty is astounding. Seven months down the drain!

I am now looking for someone to please provide a reference for a competent local lawyer. Thanks in advance.

<br />
<br />Thanks to all of those who have sent replies!<br /><br />I ended up going with Sam at Maple-Abacus Consulting Service / Saturday Night Accounting.  I'll try and update all of you of the results of my decision.  Cheers!<br />
<br /><br />I now need a new lawyer. Sam has just informed me that after seven months he has still not translated my contract and thus has not filed my lawsuit. I've been back to his office 5-10 times since July looking for updates (and receiving false/misleading ones) and now he has finally come clean. He has apologized and offered to return my paperwork and money (2% of the amount that I was suing for). The incompetence and dishonesty is astounding. Seven months down the drain!<br /><br />I am now looking for someone to please provide a reference for a competent local lawyer. Thanks in advance.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

i am sorry to hear about your experience with Sam

once again i make this comment

he is Amnat Thiegtham

038 421145

I now need a new lawyer. Sam has just informed me that after seven months he has still not translated my contract and thus has not filed my lawsuit. I've been back to his office 5-10 times since July looking for updates (and receiving false/misleading ones) and now he has finally come clean. He has apologized and offered to return my paperwork and money (2% of the amount that I was suing for). The incompetence and dishonesty is astounding. Seven months down the drain!

I am now looking for someone to please provide a reference for a competent local lawyer. Thanks in advance.

You are pretty lucky actually. I had a lawyer who was swinging both ways, working for both sides. When I confronted him with proof, he basically told me to bugger off

One other thing. If the developer is "well connected", the legal system will not be able to help anyway. There was one case ( I am sure in TV) where a judge actually told the complainer that the developer was a dangerous man to get on the wrong side of

You are pretty lucky actually. I had a lawyer who was swinging both ways, working for both sides. When I confronted him with proof, he basically told me to bugger off

i had a ''friend'' who swung both ways, when he confronted me with it, i basically told him to bugger off

if you are reading this you know who you are.....

In your original post,7 months ago,you got 3 recommendations for lawyers.One who closed up office already before you even had the time to contact him,another one who seemed to eat from two walls at the same time and the third one that you choose and which wasted your time and money for 7 months.At the same time you stated that the developer agreed to pay you back in 10 monthly installments which would have you left with only 3 months to go if you had taken up his offer.

And now you come back to this forum for yet another recommendation for a lawyer.

Sorry to say but I think you are asking for it.

It is clear there is one born every second.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,i have built/ought 2 properties in Pattaya and i have always used the services of Khun Lek at Pattaya Real Estate and Consultants,K Lek speaks fluent english and u can trust her with your life,she is great.Her office is on Pattaya Tai near Soi 10,her number is 038374676.Good luck.

Update: The developer is offering to return my money in equal monthly payments which will therefore take 10 months (if no further delays, in the repayment), but makes no provision for interest (they've now had my money for just over 2 years)

I've countered with an offer to accept payments double what they offered (thus cutting repayment period in half) plus (relatively nominal) interest. Any thoughts on whether I should accept their terms or just bring in an attorney? I understand that going thru legal channels could take about two years (or more). Part of my concern is that if they stop payments part-way thru, I may have a harder time finding a lawyer to help me retrieve the smaller remaining balance (yes, I do realize that getting some funds returned is better than none at all). Lastly, the amount owed me is just under one million and the contract calls for the prevailing party (me, I would imagine/hope) to be refunded for reasonable legal fees.

Seperately, I tried to contact KHun Kovit at Central Law Offices on Pattay Klang, but it appears to be closed or moved elsewhere (the women doing tailoring in the street next door appearded to indicate that). I tried the phone number on the office door, but no luck. Is there a new address and how about a phone number... Any immediate help would be appreciated.

I also tried to call the other rec., Amnat Thiegtham 038 421145 (on Thepprasit Road?), but the person that answered did not seem to speak English. Can anyone provide any current info such as correct contact number and exact address.

If anyone else has a good CURRENT recommendationfor a RE lawyer in Pattaya, please provide full details.

Hi,i have built/bought 2 properties in Pattaya and i have always used the services of Khun Lek at Pattaya Real Estate and Consultants,K Lek speaks fluent english and u can trust her with your life,she is great.Her office is on Pattaya Tai near Soi 10,her number is 038374676.Good luck.

Hi,i have built/ought 2 properties in Pattaya and i have always used the services of Khun Lek at Pattaya Real Estate and Consultants,K Lek speaks fluent english and u can trust her with your life,she is great.Her office is on Pattaya Tai near Soi 10,her number is 038374676.Good luck.

I also tried to call the other rec., Amnat Thiegtham 038 421145 (on Thepprasit Road?), but the person that answered did not seem to speak English. Can anyone provide any current info such as correct contact number and exact address.

I also tried to call the other rec., Amnat Thiegtham  038 421145 (on Thepprasit Road?), but the person that answered did not seem to speak English. Can anyone provide any current info such as correct contact number and exact address.

Try Magna Carta next to Soi Rungland on South Pattaya RD