Drunk Driver In Phuket Pile-Up

webfact

In Australia and you get caught for drunk driving you lose your licence for a year, but if you are a habitual drunk driver they keep giving your licence back. I think if you get caught a second time it should be a mandatory 6 months jail, without even having to clog up the courts. Just take them straight to the lockup.

What do they do in Thailand??? Especially considering a lot of people don't even have licences to begin with.

This guy is so lucky he could have killed so many more people or doesn't that matter.

Keep your western idea's in the west. Show me all the stats that prove that the Aussy drunk driving laws are working so well. I can responsibly make my way home after a few beers with my steak with no problems. In Thailand I can do that, in the west I cannot.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phuket Provincial Police Commander Pekad Tantipong said, "Even though we have campaigns against drinking and driving all the time, there are still people who ignore them. I would like people to see what happened here and how much damage was caused to remind themselves of the dangers involved."

I wonder about the motorcycle riders. How many of them were wearing proper helmets correctly? I'd put a lot of money down on the injured children not wearing protective gear of any sort. Maybe we need some campaigns educating motorcycle riders as well, eh?

None of them died either. Who needs helmets ?

agree, in the uk if you are caught over the limit ( limit being 2 pints of beer ) you automatically lose your licence for a year !, and after that it is very difficult to get motor insurance

they need to impose a proper point system on the licences here, but only problem with this is the BIB wouldnt inforce as they like there tea money...

We are not in the UK. . or Australia

I agree drunk driving is bad but if u start license point systems and things of that nature. .ur just turning Thailand into another law flooded western country. .

Or a law abiding Nation.

agree, in the uk if you are caught over the limit ( limit being 2 pints of beer ) you automatically lose your licence for a year !, and after that it is very difficult to get motor insurance

they need to impose a proper point system on the licences here, but only problem with this is the BIB wouldnt inforce as they like there tea money...

We are not in the UK. . or Australia

I agree drunk driving is bad but if u start license point systems and things of that nature. .ur just turning Thailand into another law flooded western country. .

Or a law abiding Nation.

another accident with drunk drivers ... Does it surprise you ? 15,000 people die in car accident in Thailand , I wonder what is the % of accident involving drunk drivers . Anyone knows ?

The % of drunks is high. Yet ingesting fermented sugar drinks is just one part of the problem. It's often in combination with other factors. Fatigue is another. Low quality food leading to diminished mental and physical health is another. Look at what Thais eat, and you get a better idea of why they're often malnourished, sick, and suffer diminished mental ability. Even at the best restaurants serving Thai food, you expect:

>>>> Nealy no fresh veges

>>>> The little bit of veges in the meal will be woefully overcooked, and heavily spiced

>>>> MSG spooned on, and fermented fish entrails, and MSG laden sauces.

>>>> Every drink, except water, is either heavily sugar-laden or alcoholic. No exceptions.

>>>> The rice served is to real rice what Wonder bread is to real bread, in other words, all starch and devoid of vitamins

Edited by brahmburgers

Phuket Provincial Police Commander Pekad Tantipong said, "Even though we have campaigns against drinking and driving all the time, there are still people who ignore them. I would like people to see what happened here and how much damage was caused to remind themselves of the dangers involved."

I wonder about the motorcycle riders. How many of them were wearing proper helmets correctly? I'd put a lot of money down on the injured children not wearing protective gear of any sort. Maybe we need some campaigns educating motorcycle riders as well, eh?

Is it possible that you've got a mental disorder? How can you write something like that? In another post you're saying that you can drink and drive here? What's wrong with you?

If the government in Phuket is truly concerned about drinking and driving, one thing they must absolutely do is start providing reasonably priced public transportation.

Right or wrong, when the tuk tuk and motorcycle taxis charge egregious rates, people are naturally going to try and drive themselves, even when they are 5 times over the legal limit.

A campaign against drunk driving doesn't really help all that much when you give people no other options. In addition to blaming this driver and stepping up the campaigns, it is also critical they address the extortionate pricing of the local taxi services.

You need both a carrot and a stick to make people behave responsibly. So far, all I see being discussed is the stick. Where is the carrot in these plans?

SPOT ON !!!!!!!

I just had a friend from Canada do 2 months here traveling all over Thailand and when she went to Phuket she said that the taxis now charge 500 baht no matter where you are going even if it 300 metres down the road. No meter taxis. And on a Thai's salary that is an insane price. Sad to say but maybe that is exactly why this drunk driver chose not to take a taxi. Good point Gregb

another accident with drunk drivers ... Does it surprise you ? 15,000 people die in car accident in Thailand , I wonder what is the % of accident involving drunk drivers . Anyone knows ?

The reality is always different from statistics. 15,000 isn't true, many of them die afterwords, being crippled and so on.

The sad thing is that even this guy could buy his way out without having bigger problems.

Happened here two years ago: A so called big shot, working for the government was so drunk that he caused an accident, where five innocent men on their way back from some construction work died while their Pick Up turned over.

The drunk driver, a well known person in this area was staying in a hospital for some weeks, still has his job being something like the director of some provincial hospitals.

First he had to pay a huge amount to the cops, then somebody had to get in touch with the relatives. He's still drinking and driving, wasn't a lesson.

The sad thing about it was that money helped them more than a man without money in a prison. Depending on age, social status starting from 100,000 for a life.

In Australia and you get caught for drunk driving you lose your licence for a year, but if you are a habitual drunk driver they keep giving your licence back. I think if you get caught a second time it should be a mandatory 6 months jail, without even having to clog up the courts. Just take them straight to the lockup.

What do they do in Thailand??? Especially considering a lot of people don't even have licences to begin with.

This guy is so lucky he could have killed so many more people or doesn't that matter.

Keep your western idea's in the west. Show me all the stats that prove that the Aussy drunk driving laws are working so well. I can responsibly make my way home after a few beers with my steak with no problems. In Thailand I can do that, in the west I cannot.

Almost 1,500 posts in four months is great. .....( <deleted> is wrong with your brain??) You moron.

You should understand that it's better for you to see a psychiatrist. "In Thailand I can do that."

I hope they get you and let's see if you can do that in Thailand. People like you shouldn't be here. Full stop.

And that's the reported deaths only. To have a healthier-looking area or region on paper, you can be rest assured that the authorities modify the records for drunk driving deaths.

Being ex police I got friendly with a lieutenant colonel that works in one of bangkoks stations, the one that covers RCA. He told me that thailand does have a points system for driving offences but to his knowledge he has never known points to be issued.

I got points for speeding some two or three years ago.

They stopped me at the toll gate Bangna (towards Eastern Seaboard) and said I was going 135 km/h (which was actually true). Took my licence, gave me a paper saying that I can pick up my licence at the Highway Police from next day on. At the Highway Police, they first asked me whether the police asked for money and had I paid any! I said no and no, got a small lecture that I should never pay to policemen and report if anyone asked for money, a got fined THB 400 amd got a receipt. Good, I thought. Then I was told I can pick up my licence in two weeks, as the point system is a bit slow... Two weeks later, I got my licence back and was told how many points I now had. By now I have forgotten how many, because they have already expired.

No alcohol involved. In fact, given the taxi prices in Bangkok, I don't even want to drive when I have a good night out. However, things may be different in Pyhuket, I don't know.

Yep, speeding on the toll road out to the old Don Muang Airport is the only time I've had points deducted as well. It was years ago and I've not heard of anyone losing points in recent years. Methinks there is no incentive for the BiB to use that system.

Ride On! (preferably sober!)

Had the second vehicle been driven by a farang it probably would have been deemed his fault. Then everyone would be covered by insurance. :)

The Farang would probably have been pissed too, hence no insurance.

I don't know any Farangs that drink alcohol and have a motorcycle or a car, who do not drink and drive at various times.

Are you suggesting helmets don't work? There's some big conspiracy to get people to wear helmets?! You must be as dumb as that loser in your avatar... :) I bet you don't wear a seatbelt and love to yack on your cell phone while you drive too.

And you think you're cool because you drink and drive? What a LOSER!

Edited by BigBikeBKK

Being ex police I got friendly with a lieutenant colonel that works in one of bangkoks stations, the one that covers RCA. He told me that thailand does have a points system for driving offences but to his knowledge he has never known points to be issued.

They stopped me at the toll gate Bangna (towards Eastern Seaboard) and said I was going 135 km/h (which was actually true). Took my licence, gave me a paper saying that I can pick up my licence at the Highway Police from next day on. At the Highway Police, they first asked me whether the police asked for money and had I paid any! I said no and no, got a small lecture that I should never pay to policemen and report if anyone asked for money, a got fined THB 400 amd got a receipt. Good, I thought. Then I was told I can pick up my licence in two weeks, as the point system is a bit slow... Two weeks later, I got my licence back and was told how many points I now had. By now I have forgotten how many, because they have already expired.

No alcohol involved. In fact, given the taxi prices in Bangkok, I don't even want to drive when I have a good night out. However, things may be different in Pyhuket, I don't know.

If it is true that you were doing 135mph (which is almost 220kph) on a public road, then you clearly have no regard for other road users. The Police should have taken your car and turned it into scrap metal and banned you from driving for 12 months.

He most likely won't have the money to buy his way out - thai on Thai - I heard it was about 200,000 and he will walk if he pays the victims about 20,000 Baht each  :)

Interesting and bizarre.

If you feel the urge to kill someone.

Go and have some drinks, bring 220.000Baht

Drive around, look for a victim and kill them with your pickup.

A nice afternoon adventure for a killer.

If it is true that you were doing 135mph (which is almost 220kph) on a public road, then you clearly have no regard for other road users. The Police should have taken your car and turned it into scrap metal and banned you from driving for 12 months.

He clearly says in his post he was going 135 km/h not 135 mph, untwist them knickers and relax :)

Maybe this video will give a visual demonstration of moments after the crash.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=674_1274087598

Thanks for the link, omg, that was terrible, seems most of them were just thrown out and only like 3-4 were caught badly. Speed is a killer. If he was going 10 kmph slower the accident might never happen.

amazing, as you see so many trucks here , carrying people...

The % of drunks is high. Yet ingesting fermented sugar drinks is just one part of the problem. It's often in combination with other factors. Fatigue is another. Low quality food leading to diminished mental and physical health is another. Look at what Thais eat, and you get a better idea of why they're often malnourished, sick, and suffer diminished mental ability. Even at the best restaurants serving Thai food, you expect:

>>>> The little bit of veges in the meal will be woefully overcooked, and heavily spiced

>>>> Every drink, except water, is either heavily sugar-laden or alcoholic. No exceptions.

>>>> The rice served is to real rice what Wonder bread is to real bread, in other words, all starch and devoid of vitamins

you cant be serious. I know many people here in the west that eat no breakfast, have a microwavable spaghetti and a cigarette for lunch and go to there local grease pit for dinner.

Is it possible that you've got a mental disorder? How can you write something like that? In another post you're saying that you can drink and drive here? What's wrong with you?

I drive after I have a few beer with my dinner, yes. I can do that in Thailand but I cant do it in the west. There is such a thing of driving responsibly even if your over the legal limit.

Yeah who needs courts and trials. Human rights. Innocent until proven guilty. Dispense with all that silly stuff. <removed> terrorists!! Why stop with 6 months in jail? Police should just execute on site.

I swear every time I think about returning to Farangland all I have to do is spend 5 minutes on this site to remember what a bunch of brain dead self righteous <deleted> most farangs have become.

I would never drive after drinking.

That is basic behavior you learn

from good western parents.

Also driving with margins for human error

basic western knowledge.

When I see drivers almost touching children at 100km/h speed with a 

big truck 

I feel it is close to attempted manslaughter.

basic western knowledge.

big truck

Going onto the roads has some risks. It sounds like you are unwilling to take those risks. maybe you should just walk.

The driver is reported to have been 5X over the B.A.C. legal limit

The legal B.A.C. in Thailand is 0.05

This means that the driver is alleged to have a B.A.C. of 5 X 0.05 = 0.25

In the typical human a B.A.C. of 0.20 results in a "blackout" condition where the subject has no recollection of events and barely functions, with depressed motor skills. Most humans succumb to alcohol poisoning once the B.A.C. exceeds 0.50 (although there are examples of people walking around at 0.90+)

If this person was driving his vehicle at 07:30 hrs after a night of drinking in a park it suggests to me that at some point he had consumed so much that he had probably passed out once he had hit the 0.3 mark. If he had been drinking to the extent that the subject now had a B.A.C. of 0.25, his number, using standard metabolization rates of alcohol in humans, would have been near the 0.50 level, which is basically death.

My point is that the use of the 0.25 B.A.C. may be inaccurate and the result of an improper test. That does not excuse drunk driving nor his involvement in the car crash. However, the authorities are too quick to make statements that are often shown to be inaccurate. Hopefully, a urine or blood test was taken subsequent to the event and will show the correct B.A.C.

May this idiot be haunted by these events for eternity. <deleted> arse.

He clearly says in his post he was going 135 km/h not 135 mph, untwist them knickers and relax :)

Thanks, I was about to ask whether the poster had read my post. The road is good, and under the traffic conditions, 135 km/h would have been considered safe under German law. I know we are not in Germany, so I accepted the fine and the points.

I don't know where you live, but in the part of Thailand where I live, the food is very healthy. Lot's of fresh and not over-cooked veggies, plain water with the meals (I have to ask for Coke or Nam Gek Hauay), first-rate jasmin rice. I am talking about 35 Baht per meal, not some fancy restaurant. In fact, the road-side food is much better than the 400-Baht-a-meal five-star food. Maybe you should try that for a change. Or stop trolling.

That is correct Thailand has had a points system for a few years now. It lasted about 6 months before being forgotten about.

It ain't just Thailand. In Maywood, Los Angeles, USA, where half the population are illegal immigrants, the city council in its infinite wisdom disbanded the police traffic enforcement division as a means of dealing with out of control traffic violations and drunk and unlicensed drivers. I hope this guy goes down, and goes down hard. I hope all the victims recover quickly and are fairly compensated for personal injury and damaged property.

Perhaps you'd care to read more carefully before flaming in future....

basic western knowledge.

big truck

Going onto the roads has some risks. It sounds like you are unwilling to take those risks. maybe you should just walk.

Walking?

Walking along the roads can be deadly I would never do that.

You have a point.Sometimes I am, like a friday night,  lots of drunk people

on the roads I often end up ordering delivery food staying home.

I feel unconfortable driving and see drivers risking to kill others to get to their

destination 2minutes faster.

People even die just standing outside 7-11.