Paperwork To Carry In The Car

In his defence, he only progressed from motorbike to car two weeks ago.

The guy was parking outside the pub and a motorbike T boned him. The police were called.

I wandered out of the pub to see what was going on (not as a witness - I saw nothing).

When I asked about his "in car" paperwork, he replied:

"No, my driving licence is in my other trousers."

"No, my passport is at home."

"No, I don't have a copy of my passport in the car."

"No, my insurance policy is at home."

"No, I don't have a copy of my insurance policy in the car."

Needless to say, we all ended up down at the station.

A follow up as to what happened at the police station.

The motorbike rider stated that he had a licence to drive. The motorbike owner (never the same person, are they?) stated that the bike was insured and taxed. The farang therefore obtained police permission to go to his house and return with his documentation. The rider suggested why didn't the farang just give him Bht 5,000, sign off the police report and they could all go home. The farang refused as he considered that the accident was no fault of his, and suggested that the Thai gave him Bht 5,000.00 and they could all go home. Farang 0 - Thai 0.

The farang returned with the paperwork and the two parties were "interviewed" together. The farang handed over his licence, passport and insurance policy. The rider handed over his ID. When asked for all the other paperwork, he admitted that he did not really have a license to drive. The owner admitted that she really did not have insurance and, yes, the tax was somewhat out of date. Farang 1 - Thai 0.

A witness for the bike rider (just passing by) was asked to tell his story. He explained that the farang had come out of the pub, got into his car and reversed out in front of the motorbike. This was contrary to the fact that the farang was actually parking to come into the pub, therefore the officer asked him to "swear that on Buddha". This put him into total panick and he then agreed that he hadn't actually seen anything. He was dismissed. The Thai lowered his claim from Bht 5,000.00 to Bht 2,000.00. Farang 2 - Thai 0.

The upshot was, an agreement was reached that each paid for his own damage (knock for knock) and the motorbike was confiscated until the Thai could return with the money for the fine for riding without a license or tax.

Moral: Don't let the b@astards grind you down.