Marriage Visa

Hi people,

Searched high and low in this section but can't find what i need. If it's been asked before, which i think it will. then sorry :o

My (Thai) wife yesterday got her interview date (finally) for the UK on a marriage visa. For info we waited over 4 weeks from submitting the application and the interview is in another 3 months, there seems to be a backlog.

Anyway, I think the Visa (if she is successful) will have a stamp "No recourse to Public Funds" and "Not entitled to Work" stamped inside. Once she is in the UK will it be easy to get this changed so that she will be able to work? If so, what do i need to do? Also, once (if) she is working and paying Taxes, National Insurance etc. Does this automatically entitle her to "Recourse of Public Funds" or potentially could she work in the UK for 25 years and never be entitled to public funds? :D

Many thanks

Mr BoJ

What?? You waited 1 month for an interview date, and then get an appointment 3 months after that?!

My wife is just about to apply for the non-settlement visa in the hope we can travel back with new baby in October, but after hearing about this delay I'm worried.

What??  You waited 1 month for an interview date, and then get an appointment 3 months after that?!

My wife is just about to apply for the non-settlement visa in the hope we can travel back with new baby in October, but after hearing about this delay I'm worried.

Yeah, I know. We applied in early May and got the interview date yesterday for the END of September. We where told at the time that it would be 8-10 weeks and so was hoping if everything OK she would be here in early Aug. They tell us now it is about 16 weeks wait for interview and although I beleive the Embassy are trying to recruit extra temp staff, the backlog will take a while to clear. :o

get your application in ....QUICK

Mr BoJ

Mr BJ,

A spouse settlement visa will entitle your wife to work in the UK. You don't need to obtain permission. Not all benefits are considered to be public funds. Click here for a list (PDF file).

Carl,

As of 26 March the waiting time for a non-settlemnt visa is 26 days so your g/f should have enough time.

Cheers,

Scouse.

Mr BJ,

A spouse settlement visa will entitle your wife to work in the UK. You don't need to obtain permission. Not all benefits are considered to be public funds. Click here for a list (PDF file).

Carl,

As of 26 March the waiting time for a non-settlemnt visa is 26 days so your g/f should have enough time.

Cheers,

Scouse.

Hi Scouse,

Thanks for that. I know your a mine of info. Maybe i read Carl's message wrong.

Carl, did you mean your wife or G/F? how long do you want her visa for? is it just a tourist visa you are applying for? Either way, the length of time taken to process all applications has risen dramatically since March and so to be on the safe side i would get in touch with the Embassy ASAP if you are pinning your hopes on a certain date.

Mr BoJ

Yep, as of last month my wife. As Scouse advised, a non-settlement visa will probably be better for us as we will be splitting our time 50/50 between UK and Thailand each year. In fact, she is likely to go back to work when we return from the UK in January...while I will go back to the UK for work every 4 months or so.

She's got a career to continue here which brings in enough to support my shopping habit, so it's all good ;-)

She's been to the UK before on a 6 month holiday visa, which should make the process a little easier I hope. But, without the UK passport I'm guessing travel to places such as USA or Japan will be a pain for her even if married. I guess we can always apply for the settlement visa from within the UK if circumstances change anyway.

Edited by CarlBkk

Carl does say his wife, but specifies that it's a non-settlement visa.

Scouse.

Always helps if you read the posts before replying....... :o:D

I am sure that if your wife has travelled to the UK before you can use the Drop Box facility at the Embassy. This expediates matters considerably.

I am sure Scouse will correct me if I am wrong. :D